Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing after a broken collar bone

Poster: A snowHead
Hello Snowheads!

Junior DBASKLS (nearly 13) and I have just returned from our half term trip on the slopes. It did not go according to plan as junior DBASKLS broke his collar bone on day 1. An innocuous fall but he put his hands out to break his fall rolling eyes

Junior DBASKLS is due to go skiing with school at Easter (1st day skiing will be exactly 7 weeks after the break). So my question is - what are his chances of making it? I appreciate you aren't all doctors and you don't know how bad a break it is, so just a indication:

No chance
Maybe - see what the docs say
Definitely

Anyone with any experience of similar breaks?

Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A common cycling injury and he'd certainly be back on his bike after 7 weeks. However there's a higher chance of giving it another knock skiing, and as he's young and growing I'd be tempted to let it heal properly rather than risk doing longterm damage.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@martinm, sage advice........
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Very much depends how bad the break is. If it's a stable non-displaced fracture then maybe but it'll still be weak and another fall could break it again with worse results. Anything other than that and it's highly unlikely that he'll be sufficiently recovered in 7 weeks.

I've done my right one twice cycling. The first was shattered in such a way it should have been plated but wasn't and took 8 weeks to start knitting together and 14 before I was back on the bike. The second was more stable but slightly displaced and I was back on the bike in 8 weeks. I do know of riders who rode with cracked ones and others that were back racing in 3-4 weeks when they had plates inserted.

I'd say don't risk it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A couple of years ago I broke mine on 29th Dec and was back on the skis for the first time 21st Feb. That was with an op to put a plate in. I would have been happy to have gone back a couple of weeks earlier but the doctor wasn't as keen. When I started back though I was skiing in a zero risks way where I felt 100% sure I wasn't going to fall on it and sticking to quiet pistes. If he's not willing/able to ski like that then he should probably skip it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is there a risk involved in starting back early? (Genuine question). I ask because in the horse world it's very common for riders to return after around 4 to 6 wks. I'm involved in coaching 3 day event riders and have one rider (13 or 14 yrs) who is back riding after only 3 wks (he has jump jockey genes mind you, so has a different attitude to injuries).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I fell off my motorbike and broke mine, the hospital told me they don't operate on collarbones (despite it looking like half my thumb was under my skin!) so as soon as I could I was back riding the bike again. What actually happened was it was moving and through a sawing motion started to do some damage internally. I was lucky enough to be able to go to a hospital in Germany where it was pinned and plated. The surgeon told me that if I'd have carried on I would have started to lose the use of the arm. He was very relieved when I could wiggle my fingers when I woke up because apparently there was quite a bit of damage under the clavicle. Now it's fine.

So, before I broke mine I would have said no worries, apply rule 5. Now my advice is to let these things heal properly before risking it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
8 to 12 weeks , 12 weeks to be sure its healed enough to cope with even normal usage
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all for taking the time to answer. We've got an appointment at the fracture clinic on Tuesday so I will ask the question then but I'm thinking they will advise against it. At least we can start to get our heads round the fact that he won't be going with school so we get used to the idea (and disappointment). I needed opinions so I could accept it myself!

I hope school can refund us as we've paid the full amount for the trip. I've also put in an insurance claim for additional expenses and loss of ski pass and ski hire. Any money back will go towards next year's trip.

I know these things happen and that it could have been so much worse. But believe me I'm gutted. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd let him go. Immobilise it and add calcium supplements. It's not load bearing so it should heal, unless it's a particularly bad break. I've broken my collar bone, and I'd go - and let my kids go - under these circumstances.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I broke mine skiing 6 years ago. It was plated but don't think I would have been able to ski for 10 weeks plus. He's at risk if he falls again and inevitably he won't be as strong onthat side until he's done some rehab and Physio. Think poling. 12 weeks is the normal medical advice. 7 weeks sounds too soon.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@gixxerniknik, sounds like it could get serious!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@dbaskls, I'd ask the consultant at the fracture clinic and go by there advice- as depressing as that may be- but it may be the answer you want!

I broke my collarbone skiing a few years ago and was intending to get training for a long distance cycle as soon as I returned from the ski trip- I'm sure the consultant said I could cycle after about 4 weeks- he did say that my bone wouldn't re fracture based on an x-ray.

I do remember that I found it really unpleasant cycling off road for some time and avoided it until it felt ok- so may be a lot to do with how your son is feeling too. Carrying rucksacks was unpleasant too!

Hope he gets better asap and if you don't make it away this year you can have a better/ longer trip next year?!

Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My youngest broke his at 16. It was quite a nasty break but wasn't plated and it was 5 months before he could commence contact sports. If it is non displaced and heals well then he should he ok. He does look like an alien now as he then badly dislocated his sc joint. The combination of the 2 injuries makes that area look very odd.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
daveyladboy wrote:
I'd let him go. Immobilise it and add calcium supplements. It's not load bearing so it should heal, unless it's a particularly bad break. I've broken my collar bone, and I'd go - and let my kids go - under these circumstances.

If its not load bearing, what is it there for? does it not support the operation and movement of the shoulder joint and weight/load transfered through from the arm, so anything lifted by that arm sends a load thru the joint?
I know from my own break that the arm involved was very painful to move in certain ways, and could not carry any weight through it!
(even impossible to lever myself out of the bath!)

if it a "crack" rather than a fracture with a gap separating parts of the bone or where the bone has broken and shortened the bone by one part riding past the break, or where part of the bone has broken off ( snapped twig like fracture) it takes time for bone to grow across the break, any activity that risks further damage before this happens should be avoided
In particular do not raise arm above shoulder height ( very painful in any event!) as this will cause further damage and delay healing process, so for example skiing and having a fall, might easily cause this.

it takes time to heal properly, 8 weeks minumum 12 weeks better
ski holidays
Quote:

If its not load bearing, what is it there for?

Good question. Some people do not even have a collar bone (Cleidocranial dysostosis ) I was told after completely rupturing the AC joint that the collar bone was now completley disconnect from the shoulder and I could live like that if I wanted. I have since had them tied together.
snow conditions
Kids grow fast. So the normal time scale for adult doesn't apply. It maybe ok, or it may not.

Ask the doctors. But don’t expect firm answer on the number of weeks. It really depends on how quickly the bone heals, which the doctor will likely X-ray again in a couple weeks to compare with the one from Tuesday.

I'd suggest plan on NOT able to go. But don't make any firm commitment one way or another if you don't have to. That way, if the doctor say go, it'd be a pleasant surprise.
ski holidays
abc wrote:
the doctor will likely X-ray again in a couple weeks to compare with the one from Tuesday

This is the British NHS. In your dreams! Laughing
snow report
Quote:

which the doctor will likely X-ray again in a couple weeks to compare with the one from Tuesday.

I doubt it. The risk of cancer from the X-ray probably exceeds the knowledge gained from it.
snow report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

which the doctor will likely X-ray again in a couple weeks to compare with the one from Tuesday.

I doubt it. The risk of cancer from the X-ray probably exceeds the knowledge gained from it.

Whether the doctor x-ray it in 2 weeks or 6, it needs to be done. How else does anyone know if the bone has knitted back together?

Cancer from a few x-ray? Or an unhealed collarbone for the rest of your life, your choice.

maggi wrote:
This is the British NHS. In your dreams! Laughing

Hey, the NHS is the pride of Britain. So much so it's featured in the London Olympic opening. I would imagine it does reasonably good work most of the time, if not always perfect?
snow report
Quote:

Whether the doctor x-ray it in 2 weeks or 6, it needs to be done. How else does anyone know if the bone has knitted back together?

Are you seriously suggesting that after all these years without re X-raying my broken bones they may still have not knitted together?

In general they don't even bother with X-rays on broken fingers or ribs.
snow report
johnE wrote:

Are you seriously suggesting that after all these years without re X-raying my broken bones they may still have not knitted together?

Schrodingers bones snowHead
snow report
@Tom Doc, I was given the impression that it could only get serious under certain circumstances. And I was also told that mine should have been pinned and plated immediately to avaoid the potential for more damage. Our dear NHS still maintained there was no need. I was advised to sue the NHS but really, would that have helped?

@snowornever, "If its not load bearing, what is it there for?" I was told that it's there to act as a bridge to protect all the nerves and veins and stuff that go down each arm...but you have to understand it was all relayed to me in german which I don't speak like a native (to put it mildly!)
latest report
A collar bone can fix with a fibrous non-union. You may not realise this until you fall on it
snow conditions
My wife broke hers horse riding. it was a very nasty break. Two operations to put in a plate & then remove it. She was out of action for well over ten months!! She did start to drive before then but was nowhere fit enough to go riding again for well over 7-8 months I think.

I would say definitely don't chance it.
snow conditions
We went to the fracture clinic today. The doc said by Easter junior DBASKLS's collarbone will be 90% fixed but he advised against skiing that soon as there is an increased risk of another break if he fell again (which let's face it he probably would being a teen skiing with his school mates!) However, the good news is that school are happy for him to still go on the trip and take part in the other planned activities. So it's not all bad!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy