Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help! Need a nanny in Meribel!

Poster: A snowHead
That is a very good point and probably one which we 've been guilty of and have evaluated.

I've seen lots of parenting over the years. It was my job for many years. Some of it great, some of it awful. Some of it misguided and some of it selfish.

I now have two businesses that trade at many major events all over Europe. I see many kids dragged along to things that they really don't look happy at and their parents often seem very detached from them and far more concerned about their own day, than their child's.
Sadly, the English middle classes are generally the worst. The Italians are generally wonderful and watching Scandinavians with their children is a joy.
Interestingly, all the international statistical indicators on child wellbeing show the UK in a very very poor light.

The issues here are far wider than do we book a nanny on a ski holiday, but its an interesting place to start.

Some people believe parenting should be on the national curriculum. It is, after all, the most important job you 'll ever do.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For those interested, this makes interesting reading. I find the second table very sad, particularly the family and friend relationships.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.oecd.org/els/family/43570328.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjnwZq1_qvSAhVNF8AKHSDSAygQFgghMAA&usg=AFQjCNET27Y-bU_HsCvtsL5e5hLmIdIIeg&sig2=65MWZoMNL-jjpL9lHMEEnQ
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
@cameronphillips2000,
Quote:
JzBun wrote:
LMAO @cameronphillips2000, taking the moral high ground.

You still telling people to pretend to be a journalist in small resorts so they get a free lift pass and can blag a meal on the mountain?

I told them I review ski resorts. I did a review. Its got about 3000 views on YouTube and growing. They loved it.
Where's the problem?

Your English comprehension is the problem. My statement was referring to your advice to other Snowheads (for which you were lambasted) to adopt this scam to get free stuff in small resorts. Not a great example to young people.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nobody spoke to me showing they were unhappy. The resort certainly weren't unhappy. I told them 4exactly what is was doing and they were very happy with it. I also had other offers of lift passes from other resorts which I didn't have time to go to. I also organised a trip for a group who went with me and enjoyed it. Some went back this year. Most of these had never heard of the resort before.

I spent about 5 hours making and editing the videos which for a one day lift pass isn't exactly a huge rip off is it?
I also did reviews for other resorts and hotels where I paid top full price for everything.

Interestingly, the resorts put my videos on their Twitter feeds, and Facebook pages. In fact the one resort that did give me a complimentary lift pass sent me a lovely email thanking me for the review.

It was just a trial really to see if there was any mileage in it. The feedback from YouTube viewers and facebook was really positive a d, had I been able to this year, I'd love to have gone out and reviewed some more and taken some go pro footage from the runs.

In my own business, I give things away constantly to promote things. Often far more expensive than a day ticket of a meal.
As for lambasted by Snowheads? All 40 000?

I still do not see the issue, other than maybe some jealousy?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
steph wrote:
@Hurtle, and yes I'll be dropping in this year, hopefully with Patch and probably with the "kids".
Please PM when you're there and I'll be sure not to miss you. I will have vodka, I expect... wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
martinm wrote:
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Quite and interesting thread this to read back,
One side of the debate
Putting forwards a logical, researched based argument about how many parents today want to maintain their lifestyle which can put unnecessary anxiety on their children.
The other side of the debate making personal attacks, using smokescreens and diversion tactics, trying to undermine the ethics of those involved in the debate.

Perhaps it's indicative of the relative values and personality traits of those on either side of the debate.
Parenting is difficult and stressful and everyone learns so the time. Possibly, some of the rather poisonous and personality so stuff written on here is from those harbouring inner guilt.

Maybe, in one hundred years time, leaving babies with strangers will be as socially unacceptable as smoking in the car with children.
Maybe not. But healthy beware should not be discouraged.

Hmm - they way it looks to me is that someone asked for some help and a small number of people not only don't come close to answering the question, but tell him he shouldn't be asking the question anyway.

Maybe me specs need cleaning or summat Cool

Welcome to lady's front bottom central.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hells Bells wrote:
Ffs get a grip!
It's a weeks skiing holiday not a lifetime at boarding school.
Nutshell!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@cameronphillips2000, yes, it was interesting. I may have missed it but there's nothing there to suggest that hiring a nanny for a week's skiing holiday does irreparable harm to a baby.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The most astonishing thing about this thread is that I find myself agreeing with Gerry. Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hurtle, me too. Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Gerry, I can't recall a SCGB leader $hitting on me. Confused My experience of them has been OK, on the whole. And I met one who was outstandingly good.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
A Snowhead wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Tell the other resorts you review ski resorts. They give you free passes and food.

Not cool Cam, i prefer to support the resorts that I treasure, pay to put back into development and pay for the food I enjoy rather than pretending to do travel reviews to get a cheapy hol

Taking the moral high-ground in this kind of thread could be a mistake.

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Gerry, why are you so rude to people on here? Are you like that in real life? I know you have a feud going with David Goldsmith but what has Hurtle ever done to you? Do you think it is normal behaviour to say something like that to someone on an internet forum for no reason at all?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="jzBun"]
Quote:
A Snowhead wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Tell the other resorts you review ski resorts. They give you free passes and food.

Not cool Cam, i prefer to support the resorts that I treasure, pay to put back into development and pay for the food I enjoy rather than pretending to do travel reviews to get a cheapy hol

Taking the moral high-ground in this kind of thread could be a mistake.

.I think that if I didn't review the resort you'd have a very good point. But the one resort that gave me a lift pass had 11 other extra visitors that day and 3000 views of their resort on Youtube
And they re very happy about the whole thing. Am I missing something where I misled anyone? And again, it's a smokescreen to detract from the real issue.

Anyone with the No use to engage in real debate, look at the link above and look at table two and see that the children in the UK are some of the most unhappy in the world. Do I think dropping a bay of at a nanny in a ski resort is going to cause irreparable damage ? No. Do I think UK parenting needs a lot of work? Yes, myself included.

Do I hope the next generation grows up to make less abusive comments than seen here? Yes. Will suffering abuse from a minority stop me from Dr wrong the issues? no
Somebody, please, with half an once of decency or intellect, please put forward a counter view and ill gladly listen, maybe even change my mind.
I just hope some of the people posting the abuse on here are not parents.How could a child thrive with a parent so poisonous?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@cameronphillips2000, I entirely agree the personal attacks are regrettable. You weren't as rude and crude as some (on both sides if the discussion) but you were nonetheless super judgemental about the parental qualities of somebody you don't know at all.
ski holidays
maggi wrote:
@Gerry, why are you so rude to people on here? Are you like that in real life? I know you have a feud going with David Goldsmith but what has Hurtle ever done to you? Do you think it is normal behaviour to say something like that to someone on an internet forum for no reason at all?

It's normal where I come from.
latest report
Gerry wrote:

The gutter?
snow report
pam w wrote:
@cameronphillips2000, I entirely agree the personal attacks are regrettable. You weren't as rude and crude as some (on both sides if the discussion) but you were nonetheless super judgemental about the parental qualities of somebody you don't know at all.

I think my openingcomment was provocative, and intended to be, simply in response to the bashing governor got for having an opinion. I guess the Meribel bit was a. It harsh but I have skied there a few times.....
I was in Chamonix earlier this season and met somebody who manages Chalets across the Alps. They said that Meribel is known as Merihell due to the clientele who book the chalets there.
Last time stayed I stayed in aChalet in the 3V we shared it with two families and nannies. The lack of interaction between parents and children was sad to watch.

I'm sure the OP is a decentpersonand great parent. I do feel, however, that people should. It be abused and bullied for having an opinion. Having done a search on those wishing it out on this thread, it appears that their abuse isn't reserved for me and their abuse seems their way of communication. Fortunately, they are in a very very small minority on Snowheads and easy to ignore.

Parenting is a hugely emotive subject as this thread has shown. Just because you believe there are different ways of doing things doesn't necessarily make you judgemental. To challenge ideas, reflect, evaluate and move on is how civilisation progresses.
latest report
maggi wrote:
Gerry wrote:

The gutter?

FU maggi....I need dry pants now. Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
@cameronphillips2000, you did say that leaving a baby with a nanny was either ignorant or selfish. Judgemental? I'd say so. I'm interested in why the "foreign country" makes a difference??
ski holidays
Oh, FFS Cameron. First you sound like the closing monologue of a really weak episode of Jeremy Kyle.
@cameronphillips2000,
Quote:
Do I hope the next generation grows up to make less abusive comments than seen here? Yes. Will suffering abuse from a minority stop me from Dr wrong the issues? no
Somebody, please, with half an once of decency or intellect, please put forward a counter view and ill gladly listen, maybe even change my mind.
I just hope some of the people posting the abuse on here are not parents.How could a child thrive with a parent so poisonous?

Then you become the victim...

Quote:
abused and bullied for having an opinion

But your opinion was provocative and judgemental . Remember what you said to the OP...
Quote:
So if you drop your kid off at your new nanny and you kid ain't too bothered, you probably need to look at your parenting...
(Essentially: if she drowns she's not a witch, if she floats she's a witch)

The guy wants a nanny for a couple of hours a day during a ski holiday.

ski holidays
I think if you don't know the issues of infant separation then it is ignorance. If you do its kind of selfish. And foreign travel is stressful for families. So yes putting a baby undermine stress is pr0bably best avoided.
latest report
....So yes putting a baby undermine stress is pr0bably best avoided.

I don't know what that means.
snow report
In my experience Aldershot is, at best, only marginally better than the gutter.
ski holidays
@Gerry, its a shame there isn't an outside to take this to.
snow report
@Frosty the Snowman, I'll hold his arms.....you are going to need to recruit someone to do the kicking.....bad for the hips apparently.....wink
snow conditions
@Gerry,
I was almost beginning to dislike you less.
snow report
[quote="jzBun"]Oh, FFS Cameron. First you sound like the closing monologue of a really weak episode of Jeremy Kyle.

Not the best rational, intelligent argument. Hard to debate with that really.

@cameronphillips2000,
Quote:

Then you become the victim...

Quote:
abused and bullied for having an opinion

r4ad some of the comments made, simply for having a differing opinion. I'd say some of them were bullying. You argue this, I'm going to be abusive?

But your opinion was provocative and judgemental . Remember what you said to the OP...
Quote:
So if you drop your kid off at your new nanny and you kid ain't too bothered, you probably need to look at your parenting...
(Essentially: if she drowns she's not a witch, if she floats she's a witch)

go and r4ad some of the research. Babies that show separation anxiety from parents are those that have the strongest connection to their parents. The research then shows that these parents are those who have listened, observed and met their babies needs. You need to see the quote in the whole context of my paragraph.

The guy wants a nanny for a couple of hours a day during a ski holiday.

Does he? Did it say that in the opening title? There are thousands of British parents who indulge in skiing, festivals, parties, chasing careers and other activities at the expense of giving their child care and attention.
Maybe the OP isn't one of them, maybe they are. The OP isn't the issue, this debate is about parenting, responsibilities and choices.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
The OP isn't the issue, this debate is about parenting, responsibilities and choices.

@cameronphillips2000, I think you are lost. If you want a discussion about parenting techniques then you can open a thread on it in Apres. Randomly hijacking one about finding a nanny in Meribel on The Piste is just rude!
snow conditions
I bet Gavrilo Princip just thought he was shooting a toff - never thought he would be starting a war.
So it goes.
snow conditions
@Jonpim, Laughing
ski holidays
Gämsbock wrote:
Quote:
The OP isn't the issue, this debate is about parenting, responsibilities and choices.

@cameronphillips2000, I think you are lost. If you want a discussion about parenting techniques then you can open a thread on it in Apres. Randomly hijacking one about finding a nanny in Meribel on The Piste is just rude!

hijacking? This is a common term when s0mebody hears something on a thread that they do not wish to hear.
Guvnor made a comment for which he was jumped on and I had some sympathy with what he said.
It got a nerve and was not what some people wanted to hear.
Whatever happened to free speech?
I find it most bizarre that people seem to have been generally more tolerant of the abuse people have put on here than somebody with opposing views to their own.

The bottom line is that of the 24 most developed nations in the works our child well being is only behind the USA. For child parent and peer relationships we are bottom.
So whenever a debate ignites on parenting, it's probably worth embracing, even if it is painful for some.

An adult who added nothing but abuse to the debate last night cited 'it's where I was brought up' There is some mileage in this. Along with how you were brought up.
snow report
@cameronphillips2000, trying to get back on track...you seem to be trying to include 36 hrs of childcare in a much bigger debate about childcare. Is this really about families where both parents work?
ski holidays
@cameronphillips2000, I don't have children, or claim to know much about looking after them. I haven't really got a clue whether you are right or not. Your views aren't something "I don't want to hear". As a bystander, I see someone asking for help on organising childcare in a ski resorts, as lots of people do on here each year. Then I see a couple of people making snide comments, and then you come along and hijack the thread for your own agenda. Snowheads has a healthy debate on all sorts of issues in the Apres forum. I don't have an objection to you airing your views or starting a debate. I *do* think it's rude to pick on one person asking for help and make their thread the focus of your agenda.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
@cameronphillips2000, trying to get back on track...you seem to be trying to include 36 hrs of childcare in a much bigger debate about childcare. Is this really about families where both parents work?

I think it's about parenting in general. How much do we Continue life in general before children and how much to we change and adapt our lives to meet our children's needs.
I 3as very fortunate in that I had a reasonable salary and my wife was able to stop working. We drove an old car, holiday in a caravan in England and just had to cut back. For others it is far more difficult.
Even if we d been able to afford to ski in the first few years we would not have done. I think the whole journey, upheaval etc and a nanny would have been too much stress for our babies for me to go and slide the hills.

I was aware of the UKs dreadful position in child well being tables from various lectures I'd attended. I hadn't seen that Italy was top for parent child relationships. This doesn't surprise me at all and we have holidays there with the children on many occasions as the attitude is so child centred the children are treated so well.
snow report
Jonpim wrote:
I bet Gavrilo Princip just thought he was shooting a toff - never thought he would be starting a war.
So it goes.

I think there's been a war waging for years

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/oct/02/nurseries-childcare-pre-school-cortisol
snow report
Ill bow out of this now. For those interested, it seems unequal distribution of wealth is the real problem...

https://www.ted.com/talks/richard_wilkinson
snow conditions
Ill bow out of this now. For those interested, it seems unequal distribution of wealth is the real problem...

Now that I can fully agree on
ski holidays

Now that I can fully agree on
latest report
Totally off topic but I've just read what gentleman Gerry called me! Remind me never to visit Aldershot Laughing .

Now I have been called similar, but only by adolescents with well-documented issues, never by a middle aged man. (Goes off to get ancient psychology books out of loft as am now reminded of the famous *SnowHead Psychological Profiling Scandal of ancient times.)

*This may, or may not, have been a FACT. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy