Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

where next? austria? off piste, snowparks and miles of slopes.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We spent half term in corvara and had a fabulous time. Without hearnig about the dolomites on here we wouldnt have tried it so thank you so much.

Of course I'm in mourning and planning next year already so I'd really appreciate some ideas.
We are a family of 5 and we diy - Apartment online, cheap flights and hire car. We like to find a smaller, quieter offshot of a large resort. We have to go at half term.
Vallandry last year was good but we did find the slopes busy so keen to avoid france. In the dolomites we loved the quiet slopes and all the brilliant places to stop where you could always find somewhere to sit!
So ...
We are looking for possibly an austrian resort.
2 snowboarders would like to start venturing off piste and maybe have some sort of off piste lesson.
One of the snowboarders wants to get into tricks and wants to hang out in a decent beginners snowpark
3 skiiers like to explore miles of connected pistes. We loved the sense of travel the sella ronda gave.
I like to avod busses and find an apartment right by the lift.
We arent bothered about apres and would be happy with a small place with a decent shop and a few restaurants

I have looked at saalbach but im wondering if its worth paying the premium for the lively apres and salzberg is expensive for us already coming from bristol. Is there a better option?
Really grateful for any help, thank you
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@nem, I doubt if you would pay a premium for the lively apres-ski, although you might for that coupled with ski-in ski-out accommodation - in other words a prime location. However you have to set against any such premium (say up to £100 per week for each of a family of five - although I'm speculating) the potential disadvantage of being removed from the centre of things and having to rely on shanks's pony, taxis and buses to get about. It doesn't sound as though this would bother you at all, although, when my wife and I used to arrange skiing groups to Saalbach, we used to find it a pain in the neck to have to walk or get a taxi to our out-of town accommodation. Here in Saalbach, a lot of the accommodation is along the main road between Vorderglemm and Hinterglemm, especially between Saalbach and Hinterglemm. Personally, my days of being at the "back door" of a big ski area are over and I would never again want to be in such a location, although there are regular ski buses until 5pm, and most accommodation is within easy reach of a bus stop.

Having said all that, there are four options that would probably suit you, in that they would be near a lift, have a selection of all types of accommodation and provide a quieter, possibly cheaper "back door" location in the Ski Circus:
1) Jausern: this is an area of Saalbach, about 2 miles before you reach the main village. The new Schoenleitenbahn gondola is located there, and piste 61 brings you down to the same spot. Not a bad location for what you seem to be looking for.
2) Hochalm: this a few miles beyond Hinterglemm, where two gondolas go up, one to each side of the valley. Again very ski convenient, if not for apres-ski.
3) Leogang: there is plenty of accommodation near to the Asitz gondola, and it is a well-known back door into the Ski Circus. There is an excellent snow park there, as well as very good restaurants and superb, north-facing pistes down to the valley.
4) Fieberbrunn: Plenty of accommodation near the bottom lifts, also nice, varied skiing and off-piste, but a bit cut off from the rest of the Ski Circus - unlike Leogang, it's a bit of an excursion getting there and back.

On the question of flights, I note that you hire a car for the transfer, in which case why not fly to Munich? Many of our guests do. It might save you a lot of money, although it adds an hour or two to the transfer time. (There is also free parking at the outlying gondola stations that I mentioned.)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks tatman. Thats so helpful.
Definately want to be near a lift, its just the busy town we dont really need as I can usually only drag them all out a couple of times during the week. A few restaurants is enough. I think Leogang sounds ideal and it looks like apartments are good value there. Great tip about Munich, its not as far away as I thought.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@nem, People we know also fly to Memmingen with Ryanair - not sure if Ryanair still offer Linz, which is also an option. Innsbruck is also possible.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy