Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR Serfaus Fiss Ladis 11-18 Feb

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We, me, Mrs KK (non skier, sons 15 & 13, spent half term week at Serfaus Fiss Ladis (SFL. I always arrange a trip independently and self drive and cater.

With GCSEs looming and elder son predicted straight As we decided and he wanted as much time doing school work as possible, not to leave on Friday , but at sparrows fart Saturday morning. Also the school were inconsiderate in not having a baker day. The omens were looking good as we woke to snow and my first job was to clear a couple of cms from the car. We're only a short distance from the tunnel so were there just before 4:30am for our booked crossing at 5:20. We were put onto a 15 minute earlier train and we were off.

14 hours later we arrived at the apartment. Traffic was heavy - Reims - Chalon was snarled and I had forgotten to look to avoid this. Satnav didn't pick up the jam until just before we hit it. Once clear we were off and rolled on until another jam between Ulm and Memmingham. Then once past this a good run until Fern Pass. We'd called the apartment and said we would be late so they said they would leave the door unlocked and keys on the table. Quick unpack and pizza then bed.

Sunday, picked up skis and boots for boys from the ski shop attached to apartment and bought passes and off we went. As we set off alter than normal we concentrated on slopes above Serfaus and over to Lazid. The snowpark areas quickly became a favourite.

Monday we headed over to Fiss and the runs above Zirbenhutte and yet another snow park area. Down the "Fun Slope" - gentle ski cross type run - and eldest son found the airbag. one run at this and then across to gondola at AlmBahn for ur only long queue of the week. 20 or so minutes, but caused as the 8 person Schongampbahn chair was closed for some reason. We then skied a couple of runs before the lure of the airbag meant we had to go back. On way down eldest fell on jump at park. Picked up poles and skis and down to airbag. about 5 goes here then back to gondola - queue reduced to about 10 minutes. Up to top with intention of skiing the Alder black that runs alongside the gondola. Loo break and eldest son wants to check his leg after the crash landing. I hear a plaintiff cry of "Dad, I think I need to go to hospital!!!" He has a deep gash of about 4cms on his bum Sad

As he can ski we potter down to Schonjochbahn and go to the first aid station. A quick examination and we're told to go down on the lift and will be met at the base. Son taken by ambulance to Fissmed and into the treatment area. Wife joins us and younger son and I head back to the slopes. Eldest has 5 stitches and told no more skiing Shocked

Tuesday, leave grumpy son saying he can ski and now suffering Mrs KK at apartment and head for Manser area. Fairly quiet and good pistes. Uneventful day and younger son was transfixed in watching 2 helicopter rescues. Met Mrs KK and son at Preamontan for a couple of beers.

Wednesday, eldest is back to Fissmed to have dressing changed and wound looked at. Youngest and I set off before getting a call. Eldest or wife have begged docs to allow him to ski and for her sanity this is agreed, but no jumping. Meet eldest ski a bit then back to See Alm to meet wife for lunch. Very pleasant meal at See Alm and not too pricey. Boys want to go on the fixed toboggan run so off they go. Mrs KK has a walk round See Alm area and we head back to the slopes. Back in resort off to look at and buy new boots. Mine have worn through the heel and I'd caught a clip on steps and bent this so it wouldn't close. Nice pair of Head Vectors at UK prices and slightly cheaper than my local shop according to their webpage.

Thursday, on lifts just after 8:45 and head back to Manser area in the morning before heading across to those above Fiss/Ladis, concentrating on those we haven't skied and others we have enjoyed. There is a timed slalom run with 2 lanes so the boys have a race.

Friday, snow starts and we get out early again. Eldest has check up at Fissmed at 9 and we meet him at top of Waldbahn. We head over to the slalom as eldest wants revenge as he was pipped in yesterdays run. I have a go and don't disgrace myself, but my time is just beaten by the boys Sad . Youngest still wins so round we go again and an even larger margin for the youngest. With the snow falling more heavily we head for the Almbahn as I fancy the Alder black. Eldest says his boots are hurting so has a rest at the restaurant at Almbahn. A good run the day before, I'm hopeful that with some fresh snow this will be great, but the cloud closes in and the light goes flat. Not so enjoyable. Join eldest for a quick gluhwein and hot chocolate and then off to the Frommesabfahr down to Fiss and other slopes in the trees as the visability higher up deteriorates. The slopes have emptied and there is some fun skiing to be had in the few cms of fresh at the sides of the piste. Around 4pm we call it a day and head back. Boys want to try to ski back to or as close to the apartment as we can get, so we hop off the Sudabfahrt and head down a road. Just about skiable, but a short walk in the middle to finish above Murmlipark, then a 100 m walk to the apartment. In the evening a very good and reasonably priced meal at the Hotel Tirolerhof.

Overall this is a great resort for families including those with teenagers. We stayed in a very pleasant apartment opposite the Kirche Dorfbahn station. Bars, restaurants and supermarkets are a short stroll away. There is loads to do other than skiing for those so inclined and to keep teenagers occupied. The resorts are marketing themselves as family friendly and there appears to be loads for younger kids. There is plenty of piste skiing - we didn't try offpiste as it didn't look to good at the time, but with fresh snow there appears to be a good range. The pistes were well maintained and the snow quality was good.

There is a good range of pistes from a good looking nursery area above Serfaus to some steep blacks. The only downside as I saw it was most of the blacks were straight and relatively short, although were steep and challenged that way. Eldest was very happy to have got to 70mph according to his tracking app! The resort was moderately busy. The longest queues were for around 5 -8 minutes, except as above, and many a time we only have to wait for one or two chairs or gondolas to go in front of us.

Best runs: Blacks and reds at Manser and Pezid, Seablesabfahrt, any down from Sattelkopf and Alderpiste.

There are very few British at the resort and those that were tended to be with younger families. The behaviour on the runs was good. Very few mad skiers/boarders hurtling around and there was plenty of room should you wish to go fast.

I have to day Fissmed were great in dealing with my son and accepting that he really wanted to ski and letting him as he was healing well. In fact everybody seemed helpful and friendly and were happy to speak English instead of trying to understand my very poor schoolboy German of 35 years ago.

Would I go back? Probably in a year or two. The skiing was good but to some extent boring black runs, not busy and relatively easy to get around. There's plenty to do other than skiing and Mrs KK would like to do more of the walks.

Would I recommend SFL? Yes, especially to families and those, like me, who are happy cruising round on piste. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like a good trip - I'm going to look the resort up in a bit.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We were there at New Year (Serfaus) and liked the resort a lot.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
The behaviour on the runs was good.

That's the standout at SFL for me - you just get a better class of skier in every respect.

Were the Lazid black runs open? They're pretty spicy... If you're bored by them then you're pretty hardcore Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's been a long time since I skied at Serfaus - anyone tried the new freeride routes?

http://youtube.com/v/wg88XoPYsf0
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
red 27 wrote:
Quote:
The behaviour on the runs was good.

That's the standout at SFL for me - you just get a better class of skier in every respect.

Were the Lazid black runs open? They're pretty spicy... If you're bored by them then you're pretty hardcore Toofy Grin

Red27 I'm definitely not hardcore Smile

Perhaps boring was the wrong word. Perhaps featureless, other than the gradient - no twists, no rollers, just straight lanes down the mountain. The Tschienabfahrt was a little strange as I found myself ducking as the Lazid gondola came over the piste. Plenty of headroom, unless you are a relative of Hagrid, but still had to duck Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@knackered knees, great report and sums up the fantastic SFL experience available to families - and skiing parents. Hope your son is better. We ere there on the same week. Agree the level of skiing is quite safe and quite deciplined - I felt totally fine pootling about with my 5 1/2 YO daughter behind me.

The ski school is amazing and they were routinely skiing my 5YO down home run by the end of the week inlcluding the affectionaly named mogulled beginner 'wall of death' at the bottom. They were also very kind to accept my 2 and 11 months daughter who is just below the 3YO minimum age criteria - she was up at Mumliland at mid mountain and had fun learning to stand, slide and walk on skis - she was happy to stay there all day including lunch. This was a major milestone for us as ski parents as we have finally reached the point where bith our childern are truly hapy at ski school allowing us to ski for 5 hours worry free. The ski school medal presentation at the end of the week was a big deal. They took over the townhall across from the church and had a podium presentation for each group, music, beer and photos.

My favourite areas to ski were around the Sattelkopf and the Zwolferkopf and their various runs leading to the Fiss mid-mountain area - lift queues were short and the snow was fun springlike and liked the humpy, bumpy and rolling features of the mountain makng it possible to ski different lines each time. The long run down to the Almbahn was super fast and long but but of a pain having to get the gondola down the bottom.

Finally I think this mountain is great for the timid intermerdiate who are looking to improve - my wife's progress was amazing to see as she finally broke through her plateau, and fear of other skiiers, by taking advantage of the reds which were progressive, well groomed and I think confidence building. There are generally varying options at the top of each lift for her to get down and was enticed to try the harder runs.

And the weather... sunny with not a cloud in the sky from Saturday to Thursday with a snow day on Friday.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ozboy wrote:
not a cloud in the sky from Saturday to Thursday with a snow day on Friday.

..and we chilled on Sunday Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@red 27, ...no, we did 6 loads of washing!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy