Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3 V - half term -v- Easter

Poster: A snowHead
Hi snow heads. We just arrived home from a fabulous week in Les Menuires for English half term last week. It was boiling all week! And we had a wonderful time. However, with young children who are still learning, it was very very very busy in the towns, at peak times and I was worried about safety.

I realise last week was exceptionally hot- but the pistes were ok. I wanted to know from experienced snow headers- if that compares to Easter skiing in the region? Or does the snow deteriorate dramatically ?

Also are Easter school holidays just as busy? Ours starts 25th march next year.

And any experience / advice fur Motteret? We really like the idea of staying there. Is it busier than Lm?

Any advice on any of the questions really gratefully received

Thank you
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Bunches, I suspect you'd be fine at that time. End March / early April is great with longer days. I'd imagine Mottaret should be fine though not sure if it catches the sun there a lot. I'd expect it to be slushy lower down, Meribel centre around 1400 tends to be getting a bit brown (though pistes open) by then.

We've done Courchevel early April and it was lovely, had fresh snow down to the village at 1850 though obviously it's luck of the draw. Val Thorens still fantastic then, ideal time to go there tbh.

Definitely seems quieter at Easter hols, much prefer it to half term personally as like you don't love the crowds. Seems like especially the French seem to give up (vast generalisation) by Easter.

Have kids who are now 8 and 6 and we always go at Easter for the nicer (hopefully) weather and less crowded pistes and resort. I'd go for it but get more advice on Mottaret from more knowledgeable peeps as have never stayed there.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Bunches, in my experience Easter is much, much quieter. Almost the quietest time of the season. As fir the snow, it sounds like the last week has been pretty much identical to Easter skiing, although in most years there will be more and probably better snow to ski on until mid-April.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We stayed in Courchevel 1550, Easter week (travelled home on the Easter weekend). It got busy at the main lifts at 1850 especially around 9am but once you fit higher it all spread out nicely and later on in the day 1850 wasn't too bad.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We did La Plagne at Easter a few years ago. At times it did get a little slushy lower down on hot days mid to late afternoon, but it was so empty and I'll take that over perfect conditions and crowds any day!

Also did a trip to Val Thorens mid April last year. Whilst Les Menuires was very slushy in parts (and the lower levels of Meribel) there was plenty to ski in VT itself, and down to Orelle. And no crowds.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Easter is usually quiet and can have excellent snow- the deepest powder I ave ever skied in was at Easter. I have even skied down to Courchevel 1300 and Villaroger both quite low at Easter.My recollection of Les Menuires at Easter is that the snow gets very heavy in the afternoon. It may just be my memories but Meribel can get foggy and brown.

@foxtrotzulu, I suspect this easter (April 16th) will be quieter than usual. There are only a few weeks left of the season. Easter 2018 is fairly early.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Late March early April is probably the best time of the year in the 3Vs. To avoid too much slush you might want to move up to Val Thorens from about the beginning of April.

Easter is probably the quietest of the 3 busy periods of xmas/new year, half term, easter.

In fact a late Easter is often no busier than a normal April week. i.e. Not busy. If you can, I would much prefer to ski over Easter than half term.

Generally we avoid skiing xmas/new year week and pretty much the whole of February. Do that and you might never meet a lift queue.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It looks like school holidays start on the 30th march, so it will be late. It was boiling last week and the snow was slushy in the last bit into resort. But it was manageable. It was 11 degrees and relentless sun. I'm guessing that's more like Easter weather. Motteret is 1850, so it's still reasonably high. When does Motteret lose its snow cover into resort?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Bunches, last week did feel like Easter here in the 3 Valleys. However piste conditions are so dependent on the temperatures and any precipitation. Mottaret (and the other higher resorts) can have very good conditions in early April. You might get some fresh snow or possibly some rain...

We've always been able to ski into Mottaret in mid/late April but it can be icy first thing and then very slushy from mid morning. Easter is definitely a much quieter holiday period and will be nothing like half term on the slopes.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you juliad. I was amazed how well the pistes held up under the sun. We are so brown, it's bonkers. That's what made me think that if it's that good under all that sun, then Easter would be perfect for us. We skied Easter in LDA last year and there was nothing left on the runs into resort. But higher up was still lovely. I knew there must be some snowheads who were there this last week and would be able to advise on the difference

Excitedly thinking about next year.. even though only home a few hours!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Smile @Bunches. Actually late season is my favourite time of year to ski. You just need to be a little tactical about deciding which runs to ski and when. If you have little ones up the mountain, you can always download using the gondolas back into resort at the end of the day if it is very slushy and too difficult for them. Have fun planning!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Exactly and actually they don't seem to notice. It was more the safety aspect of half term that worried me. We were literally skiing shoulder to shoulder. And I was taken out badly by an out of control teenager that skied into the back of me and flung me in the air! I need a bit of space in the mountains! Love love love 3 v's. It's my first time
Back there in a long time and I had really missed it
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We've been to VT for the last three Easter holidays (either last week March or first week April) and it has never failed us-back this year again. The key is that it has 150 km (which is smaller than some other resorts) but it is all above 2200 m so it is all open and in good condition. Follow the sun over the course of the day. If it is a bit slushy at the bottom, remember that is mid-station for many resorts! Plein Sud can be messy late afternoon because it is south facing and is full of the Folie crowd leaving-I'd avoid that with the kids after 3 pm or so-but other than that, fine conditions-wise. You'd also need to watch them in the resort as there are lots of runs crossing and meeting, with kids hooning across the junctions. It can get busy though if other resorts are closed/poor conditions. We had a couple of days last year when Les Menuires was closed because of high winds and VT was rammed.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The. 3Vs often have wonderful ski conditions over Easter especially when Easter falls early. Many French tend not to ski during the Easter holidays preferring to head South. And the French spring break holidays don't always fall over Easter.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We are in La Tania this Easter. I have only ever skied 3V late season. Ut is awesome whennthe sun is out.
ski holidays
We have been skiing 3V several times a year since 1990. Checked the database and have skied it 18 times at Easter and usually had good snow. Some years fresh powder overnight each day. Not sure what it will be like this year as there was little snow at the start of the season and its got hot early but plenty of time for more dumps. We are waiting to see how the weather/snow holds out before deciding if we ski there or elsewhere in April. Its never as crowded as half term and can be great - long sunny days and lifts on later. Can be a bit slushy on home runs but they always have some snow to get back.
And remember that is where the EOSB is always held so snow must be good!
snow conditions
Brilliant, thank you fabulous Snowheads for all your information - now does anyone know of Motteret apartments that have some childrens clubs / facilities other than the extortionate 7k Mark Warner.
snow conditions
Esprit, have a place in Meribel and Courchevel 1850.

Nb we found Meribel very slushy when we went there at Easter. We found the snow in courchevel side better.
snow report
Esprit use ESF, which I have promised my children never to do again after a disaster last year in LDA. Such a shame as I love the location of Esprit in meribel. Motteret is higher which would be my preference
snow conditions
@Bunches, you don't have to go through their lessons, they do now also let you book the service to drop and pick from other ski school.

Are you sure they still use ESF there? We have booked Esprit to Val d'Isere for this coming Easter, and they don't use ESF there.
snow report
Yes sadly the meribel one does, I only called them yesterday. i was very surprised to hear it too. They have magic in motion in the town, which I would have preferred, but my children will want to be with the other children, otherwise it defeats what you are paying for. I have had so many bad experiences iwth ESF personally and from others that I can't risk it.
ski holidays
Checking the comments on Esprit visitors page you are right it is still ESF.

It is Evo 2 for Val d'Isere

https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/story.php?story_fbid=1015993638447168&id=132752956771245&fs=0
latest report
Quote:

Esprit use ESF, which I have promised my children never to do again after a disaster last year in LDA. Such a shame as I love the location of Esprit in meribel. Motteret is higher which would be my preference

Funny ours went to ESF at L2A and it was ok - we found though that they have so many children there is a lot of standing around. We are at La Tania this year and they are going to Sweet Snowsports.
snow conditions
There were only 3 in the class. The teacher was an absolute witch! They were scared and started making up ailments to avoid class... was a travesty after spending so much on a holiday
ski holidays
OK. I think I know what you mean. I can't say our girls were overly enamoured. Our younger daughter had a meltdown on the Tuesday/Wednesday because she wanted to eat her snack.....that said she did learn to ski - frightened into it!
snow report
We too were in Les Menuires with kids last week, it certainly was the sunniest and warmest February half term I've skied in. Only skied 3V at Easter once which was fine.

My two youngest were with ESF in Bruyeres who were really good, big groups but an excellent teacher and they both came on really well. My 2 oldest always went to ESF when we used to go to La Tania and they were awesome there too.
ski holidays
mogulski wrote:
And remember that is where the EoSB is always held so snow must be good!

Yep, there's about 150 snowHeads heading there this Easter!

This is from the EoSB which was mid-April last year, gives an idea of the conditions (from 2016 anyway). Yes it's slushy at the end of the day, and sure the lower pistes aren't open...but yes, that's fresh snow near the start of the video and yes it was great fun.

http://youtube.com/v/vKwpOPCZqXs

nb: Not sure what the Meribel and Courchevel valleys are like, only had VT pass and stayed there and Orelle.
snow report
wow! that looks fabulous thank you all.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are in les menuires now, it's been a scorcher of a week. Properly sunburnt...

Slopes mostly all open but getting brown and rocky in places

Busy in the usual bottlenecks, Meribel today near platieries was a bit unfunny at times

Snow forecast for next week though, much needed but should give a good base for march and hopefully Easter (when we are back again, Val t this time though)
ski holidays
Is there much snow forecast for next week? Due to go out 12th march and can't see Much snow forecast
ski holidays
Light snow forecast tomorrow and snow forecast next week from Tuesday through to Saturday.
latest report
Toofy Grin
snow report
@dan100, possibly about a metre next week according to the local secouristes who are pretty good at keeping an eye on the weather. snowHead
latest report
We are heading to Les Menuires first week in April, which coincides with the French zone C holidays! Hoping it's not too busy on the mountain!

Having worked a few seasons in the 3V's Easter can be a great time if the weather gods are kind (in 2011 they definitely were not!), but there is always some skiing to be had somewhere!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy