Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boot power strap underneath the buckles

Poster: A snowHead
A couple of years ago I had a private lesson with a very good instructor, which improved my skiing and associated confidence massively. We really went back to basics, and when I asked how tight my boots should be, he spent some time setting them up for me. One of the things he recommended was putting the power strap underneath the buckles, which he said he suggests to quite a few people. I've been skiing with the power strap like that since then, and it's comfortable, but I've got some funny looks. Has anyone heard of this before and/or got any thoughts on it? (My boots are Salomon Idol 85s.)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@sugarmoma666, how interesting. I have exactly the same boots and am having problems with the power straps failing to hold, despite the fact that they have buckles with teeth (I had new ones fitted a couple of years ago, as the Velcro on the original straps completely ran out of oomph.) Combine this with the fact that I'm now - unlike the first few years I had the boots, not sure how long I've had them now, maybe 5 or so years - having to tighten the boots during the day, and have run out of clip tightening ability, I was wondering what to do next. I was planning a little foray to Solutions4Feet, who supplied the boots and Zipfits, but am now contemplating trying your suggestion first. I'm skiing again in a couple of weeks and will give it a whirl. Thanks for posting!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you mean that the power strap goes round the inner boot, rather than over the shell, then yes, there are good reasons for doing so.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Calling CEM... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Old Fartbag wrote:
If you mean that the power strap goes round the inner boot, rather than over the shell, then yes, there are good reasons for doing so.

I think that's what I mean Very Happy It's a bit of a faff, so gets some funny looks sometimes. What are the good reasons you're thinking of?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@sugarmoma666, I had an instructor try to tighten my boots this way once, but it wasn't comfortable so he said not to bother. I still have a couple of knotches adjustment available in the buckles though, if I need it. It's obviously "a thing", but doesn't work for everyone, but who cares what other people think if it works for you?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For me, it makes the inner boot snugger around my leg, smooths the flex of the boot due to more even pressure along the length of the shin and removes some of the "play" at my calf.

Here is a thread on the topic: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=95794
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Old Fartbag, great, not a new point then. Isn't snowHeads wonderful? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Having read the previous thread, I'm not at all sure that my power straps are fitted in such a way as to enable me to put them inside the shell. Worth experimenting though, I guess, especially if it saves me a trip to Bicester.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That is how I always do mine after an instructor somewhere suggested it, seemed to work better that day so stuck with it. My boots, Atomic Hawx, are shaped so as to make it easy to do it this way.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Get a Booster elastic power strap, I've used them for 10+years now. Better hold and no hard end to the flex, and a sprung return.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle wrote:
@Old Fartbag, great, not a new point then. Isn't snowHeads wonderful? Toofy Grin

There is little new under the sun....which is just as well, as it means that I come into fashion once every generation or so. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Old Fartbag, Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I do my power strap up before I do the top two buckles. Interesting to see from the post that @Old Fartbag kindly linked to, that I might actually be doing it right (or at least not wrong).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is how the power strap was meant to work on a 4 clip boot, it was invented by Sven Coomer. The idea is to anchor the inner boot to the rear frame of the boot not to be like a 5th clip to try and pull the shell tighter.
Used in this manner forward movement if the shaft of the lower leg is immediately transmitted to the boot. My Dalbello Scorpions actually had a thin section of plastic on the front spoiler that could be removed (cut away) to allow the powerstrap to engage directly with the top of the inner boot tongue. As said before Booster Straps are even better when used like this.
So in short you are using your powerstraps correctly and those giving you funny looks are doing it wrong!
Slightly different if you have 3 piece boots like Dalbello Krypton, Panterra or Full Tilts where the strap is really designed to fit outside around the front and rear parts of the shell to link the rear of the boot to the floating tongue.
ski holidays
It's a sound theory, but you can't do it with all boots without modifying the cuffs.......
ski holidays
Always...100%...power strap underneath buckles.
Some boots it is easy, some a bit of a bodge, but even with those do it.

The difference in hold and feel is profound.

I was told this by Ex French Olympic coach...what a difference!
latest report
Can't wait to try this now!
snow conditions
Can someone post some pictures of how this should look I am having problems picturing it, thanks.
snow report
I've found it both more comfortable and gave me better control. I wonder how many of us who are doing this got the advice from the same instructor.
snow report
pieman666 wrote:
Can someone post some pictures of how this should look I am having problems picturing it, thanks.

Go to 6:45 of this video -

http://youtube.com/v/0Z0zJNb-jZo
snow conditions
Thanks @Old Fartbag, that is just what I needed to see.
snow conditions
Interesting. I was recommended to do this, have done it, found it quite helpful (powerstrap round the outer boot as a 5th clip often just causes compression/over-tightening-like problems on my calf area) and then was roundly told off by a bootfitter for doing it as it should never be done and isn't what the powerstrap is apparently intended for...
Can't win Sad
latest report
Grizzler wrote:
Interesting. I was recommended to do this, have done it, found it quite helpful (powerstrap round the outer boot as a 5th clip often just causes compression/over-tightening-like problems on my calf area) and then was roundly told off by a bootfitter for doing it as it should never be done and isn't what the powerstrap is apparently intended for...
Can't win Sad

Find a new boot fitter he obviously doesn't know what the power strap was designed to do! Lotst of ski boot manegacurers jump on the band waggon and lower end boots have them added but not to do what they are supposed to do.

As I said Sven Coomer invented the power strap, I think when he was working for Nordica. Do a search on him, he is the father of tmodern ski boot design and the Zip Fit liner.
ski holidays
If you watch that video, see the score line on the front spoiler, well take your Stanley knife and cut off that plastic along that line, the strap will then sit properly around the inner boot tongue.
snow conditions
Hmmm, interesting, but a lot of boots (like my K2s) have a specially designed indent on the front of the shell itself to make sure the power strap doesn't slip around.
ski holidays
Bennisboy wrote:
Hmmm, interesting, but a lot of boots (like my K2s) have a specially designed indent on the front of the shell itself to make sure the power strap doesn't slip around.

If you are referring to Dalbello Krypton then they work on a different principle and the strap goes outside and links the rear frame to the floating external tongue.
ski holidays
The aftermarket "Booster" straps are specifically designed to be used over the liner and inside the shell. I recently got some to provide some additional support in my touring boots and they have made a big improvement by effectively tying my shin to the stiff rear spine of the boot rather than just relying on the somewhat low/soft cuff at the front.

Boosters differ from normal power straps in that they are elastic (albeit stiff elastic) so you can get them really snug and they still give a bit of flex.

I do think that on 3 piece boots (e.g., krypton/flexon/full tilt) the powerstrap should be outside the shell because of the structural tongue and the free moving rear spine. But for 4 clip overlap boots I'd certainly experiment with using the strap inside the cuff and even better using a booster.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Firstly, sorry for resurrecting this old thread but it's the most relevant I can find to my question.

Quote:

I do think that on 3 piece boots (e.g., krypton/flexon/full tilt) the powerstrap should be outside the shell because of the structural tongue and the free moving rear spine

@jedster
I have a pair of Dalbello Rampage 3 piece boots and was considering getting a booster strap fitted to them.
As you are suggesting that the power strap should go over the outside of the shell given the structure (which makes perfect sense btw) would a booster strap have the desired effect on the boot or am I better off sticking with the stock Dalbello strap?
latest report
@jazzhands, uhh… what’s the “desired effect”?
snow report
Quote:
uhh… what’s the “desired effect”?

Good point, some context would help.
I have very poor dorsiflexion so wear my boots without any forward lean shims in them and the flex at minimum. It's been suggested that a Booster strap would connect me better to the rear of the boot and transfer more of the small movement I can manage down through the boot to the skis.
Having read this post though, I am not sure whether a booster would be the right thing for my 3 piece boots or were it would go (over/under tongue).
snow report
@jazzhands,

Unfortunately I‘m not sure the Rampage is the best boot for you. When a two piece boot is adjusted to be more upright, the adjustment affects both the starting point of the flex (beginning of turn) and the end point of the flex (end of turn).

With the Rampage the adjustment only affects how upright the boot is at the start of the turn, with the end point of the boot’s flex being largely unaffected. Wouldn’t want you to spend money on present boots that would be better invested in a more suitable boot.

I have poor dorsiflexion following a leg injury, stuff that has helped me…

Good footbed with stabilising foam under it.

Stretching every day.

Upright two piece boot.

Small heel lift in boot, combined with binding with a low delta angle.

Stiffer boots.
snow conditions
Oceanic wrote:
@jazzhands,

Unfortunately I‘m not sure the Rampage is the best boot for you.

I was worried that may be the view. Never a good idea throwing good money after bad.
snow conditions
@jazzhands, you're not far from Rivington Alpine - I'd suggest talking to them first, they'll know what the right thing is to do.
ski holidays
I think this might need a bit of "trial and error" testing. Try each boot inside and out and see what feels best for you.
As mentioned earlier in the thread i believe powerstrap was designed to go around the inner boot. I've tried it both ways on both regular overlap and 3 piece boots and have always preferred it outside on the she'll (i.e. the "wrong" way)
You can get plenty of opinions and recommendations but only you will know what your feeling....experiment..
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy