Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy: mobile data for a mifi

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm off to Italy soon: Bardonecchia and Bormio. I'm taking a mifi (creates a multi user mobile WiFi) that takes a simm card - just like the one in your mobile phone. We want to see webcam images so I can decide where to ski that day.

The question is: do I but one from uk (for example a one month 'three network' which permits taking the data allowance abroad) or do I buy one in Italy ? If italy, which network?

I guess I'm looking from 10gb or so.

Hope you can help. K.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Use your phone. Your use case is ridiculous.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
...and catching up with snowheads, email, facebook etc while hanging around the apartment.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm using a 3 payg data sim in a mifi, 24Gb for £28 off Amazon, valid 2 years but only 2 consecutive months in 12. These aren't available very often, usually it's 12Gb for £24 valid 2 in 12 months from a variety of vendors.

In Italy it will normally connect to 3ITA.

Ps, we were in Bardonecchia last week and had decent 3g.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
With a foreign SIM you usually get the best coverage of several networks whereas with a local SIM you're stuck to the one network. (I think the press reports that as foreigners get better mobile reception than Brits in Britain.)

Anything you can get locally isn't going to be less time out of your holiday, less hassle, easier to top up, or much cheaper than a 3 UK PAYG SIM.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Turns out Bardonecchia has a free WiFi around the central street.it's much faster than my 4g capable mifi. It has either a time or usage limit so kicks you off after a while. But perfectly good to check emails etc.

Max in mobile I have seen is 3g+.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
On the subject of roaming between networks: the 3 deal, while excellent value, comes with the drawback that fewer networks will be available to you than if you are using a more typically expensive service.
I run a commercial router in the BU5 4 DUB which supports 2 SIMS. I use the 3 network one by default and most of the time it's perfectly adequate however on occasion, I need to switch to the more expensive EE SIM to get a decent bandwidth. Even that will run at a decent speed just for a while then cripple itself until U pay extra money!

But yes, on the whole, for most purposes, I'd say 3 network is the best option.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy