Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Servicing in London Area

Poster: A snowHead
Hey Snowheads!

I'm off to Meribel Village on 4th March and have left it a little late to get my skis serviced (I think they only need a basic service, only been skied on for a week). Ellis Brigham said it will take them around 10 days, and I'm not sure I want to cut it that fine!

So does anyone have any other recommendations of good places in and around North London to take them? Or should I just get them serviced in resort if I am going to arrive early afternoon?

Thanks,
Joe
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Plenty time to get the kit from pisteoffice to diy. Otherwise get it done in resort. I'd be wary of anything other than simple edge and wax though on 1 week old skis.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends how far west you would be prepared to go. You could try Ski Bartlett in Hillingdon.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.gbskiservicing.co.uk
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon wrote:

Thanks for the input all!

I was looking at the above and http://batterseaski.co.uk

Anyone used either of them? I see GB Ski servicing is a fellow snowhead, so he must be good!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon wrote:

He's really got to get a few more recent customer comments that those on the website with the latest being March 13 or not bother with them.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not as easy as it may seem to get people to add reviews. We really struggle despite asking face to face, and giving links etc. Not a fan of getting mates etc to leave reviews, never ends well.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Bennisboy, have PM,d you
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@spyderjon, thanks for the recommendation
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ster, fair point, I might take them down
@endoman, would agree
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bennisboy thanks for the recommendation
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I know it will appall some but with only one week on them I really wouldn't bother.
If you have your own servicing gear then a quick once over might be worth it but pay 20-30 every week? no thanks.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Probably a bit late on this one, but we use Joe at Battersea ski: batterseaski.co.uk
I would happily recommend him.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I snowboard, rather than ski, but have always had it serviced on the first night in resort. My view is that the local technicians have the best knowledge of the most appropriate waxes for the current conditions.... whether that's in anyway true or not, i've no clue - but it makes me feel better about. Either way, it's less hassle to drop it into the shop in the evening and pick it up on the way to the slopes in the morning...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Richie_S wrote:
........My view is that the local technicians have the best knowledge of the most appropriate waxes for the current conditions.....

Laughing

They use the cheapest wax available which is machine/roller applied so minimal penetration.
ski holidays
snowcraze wrote:
Probably a bit late on this one, but we use Joe at Battersea ski: batterseaski.co.uk
I would happily recommend him.

I would second this, Battersea Ski serviced my old Salomon 10 Pilots and did a great job.
snow report
Agree with @jedster, seems absolutely mad to service them after a week

But if you're going to do it, why not do it in resort?!
latest report
@moseyp, apparently because

Quote:

They use the cheapest wax available which is machine/roller applied so minimal penetration.

@spyderjon, I did say i had no clue...

But in my experience, it's been comparable or cheaper on cost (than UK servicing) and is more convenient than making a special trip for a service...

Very Happy
snow report
@Richie_S, if the OP is particular enough to want a hand service, then they'd probably prep their skis themselves. Otherwise, I don't see why a machine service wouldn't be adequate. I'm sure they could get either in Meribel anyway, it's a big place

I still think it's unnecessary to service them after only a week
snow conditions
@Richie_S, I understand where you're coming from and there is always at least 1 ski shop in every resort where the pros, racers and instructors will take their skis who will give them a proper, thorough service. (This is normally an overnight job and not cheap).

However, a lot of, if not most shops in ski resorts employ season service technicians. These guys (and girls) are often quite young, and do not undergo a rigorous training programme. In fact, I have met several who have literally been given a day's training on all the tools in the workshop, then let loose on customers' skis. And in many if not most shops, it is a machine service where the machine does the work - but all machines do need an operator.

So the right thing to do is to find the one good shop in town, and ask them for a service. That said, a hand service in the good shops can cost you 50 euros and 24 hours, so it's not always practical for the recreational skier.

For me, (I do my own, but my advice would be that) getting a good hand service in the UK is the way to do it. You can turn up in resort ready to ski and it's one less thing to worry about. If you only do one holiday a year, the trick is to get them done way back in November when the shop is quiet, if there's nothing else to do the shop won't be as inclined to rush them through.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy