Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

stop off resort

Poster: A snowHead
am planning on doing a week in tignes i march and wondered if i might try and do a cheeky little extra 3 days at another resort as a taster to see if it might be a possible venue for future trips.... we will be driving... ideally resort needs to be ski in ski out to nursery for the 4 year old and have some handy creche facilities for the 1 year old.... and obviously not to far off the route from calais to tignes, am happy to go the annoy short cut too rather than just all autoroute etc.... so maybe la clusaz of instance?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Flaine or Avoriaz would suit what you want as both are ski-in ski-out and have good nurseries for the children
Morzine has a nursery and some hotels are more or less ski-in ski-out on one side of the village - on the other side it connects to Avoriaz

There's only one hotel in Avoriaz (4 star) but plenty in Morzune - and only a few in Flaine - otherwise it's apartments - so it's advisable to book rather than just turn up.

Avoriaz and Flaine are both far superior to La Clusaz in terms of convnience for you combined with the child care for the children.

Fron all 3 you go back down to Cluses, go to Sallanches and through Megeve to get to Albestville > Tignes.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@simplysnow, cheers i have skied some of those places but avoriaz could be a good one... are the nursery slopes near the appts? the adults wouldn't be doing much skiing just pottering around with the eldest who is knew to this skiing lark
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think if you're wanting somewhere on the way to Tignes then you're best off not going for the Northern French Alps (Grand Massif, Portes du Soleil etc etc etc) as they're not really on route.

How about Trois Valleys, La Tania springs to mind as it has everything there (restaurants, bars, shops, creche, ski in/out)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
that would be cool too, i will check it out marcellus.... cheers
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ajc2260626, personally, because I am lazy, I would limit my detour and both GMs and PdS are not en route. But it's not big distances is it? Avoriaz certainly super convenient.

It has a very good creche, Village des Enfants in center.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes - the Village des Enfants is right in the centre it's a "play gorund for children" (with half or full day care) and there is accommdation very nearby.
Further from the Vllage des Enfants there is accommdoation with beginners slopes on the doorstep. In Flaine 2 blocks (with spa and pool) have the children's lessons just outside.

As the crow flies the Haute Savoie/northern alps are very much in a direct line to Tignes - so it's no problem to stop off - even if using more motorway would be faster (even. then comparing door to door direct, there's only half an hour or so difference which is neither here not there)

Using the A26/A39, which is another optiom to get to the Haute Savoie, is also a lot quieter and more pleasant than using the A6 to Lyon
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
do any of the above accept hounds accommodation wise, i will have a look on booking.com and homeaway etc.....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
simplysnow wrote:
Yes - the Village des Enfants is right in the centre it's a "play gorund for children" (with half or full day care) and there is accommdation very nearby.
Further from the Vllage des Enfants there is accommdoation with beginners slopes on the doorstep. In Flaine 2 blocks (with spa and pool) have the children's lessons just outside.

As the crow flies the Haute Savoie/northern alps are very much in a direct line to Tignes - so it's no problem to stop off - even if using more motorway would be faster (even. then comparing door to door direct, there's only half an hour or so difference which is neither here not there)

Using the A26/A39, which is another optiom to get to the Haute Savoie, is also a lot quieter and more pleasant than using the A6 to Lyon

Thing is I doubt the OP is a crow...... Calais to Tignes (direct) is c 996km, Calais to Tignes (via Cluses) is 1093km whereas Calais to Tignes (Via La Tania) is 1030km, I know which I would prefer with a dog a 4 year old and 1 year old in the car!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 16-02-17 18:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The detour is not such a worry as it's for a 3 day stay, not an afternoon.

But @simplysnow you do seem very enthusiastic about Avoriaz ...

The issue there I would guess would be getting a 3 night stay. I haven't dealt with Avoriaz accommodation since 1991 but, y'know, they're French, etc.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
True - but the point is OP does want to stop off and explore, and 97 km via Cluses is not really significant given that he will no doubt be stopping from time to time anyway rather than driving 996km non-stop. Perhaps the reason for exploring in the Haute Savoie is because he/she doesn't want to drive that distance again next year- and it was mentioned that he/she is happy to not drive all the way on autoroutes.

La Tania has itts merits - but if exploring alternatives to Tignes in the Tarentaise, Les Arcs, Les Menuires and La Plagne are all higher and have better connections to the majority of their ski area - whereas in La Tania, coming back from Meribel or Courchvel 1850 to check on one or two child during the day is probably not so easy.

Avoriaz is renowned for the Village des Enfants - perhaps more resorts should have followed suit a long time ago.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, I've come round to appreciating it (Avoriaz) for what it does best and set out to do - make it easy to get to/from the slopes, espcially for families with children.
I've spent winter in a purpose-built resort - but, at the time, would have preferred to be in a traditional resort. Since then I've skied mostly (90%+) in traditional resorts and appreciated the "genuine"village atmosphere - but the trade-of is convenience or lack there of...and disovering that when it's a winter wonderland and snowing at 1800 metres - it's not always falling as snow down below and it's defiinitely not a wonderland when you are soaked to the skin, no matter how rustic and genuine the architecture

Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@simplysnow, I like Avoriaz too. Haven't seasoned ther since 1991 though Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, mine was in La Plagne - before 1991 Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
La Rosiere or Sainte Foy if you can find accommodation for less than a week. La Rosiere would be my choice.
snow report
i have done just about every version of the journey to and from tignes from calais so am happy to do anywhere thats sort of on the way home.... so far i have found a couple of places in la tania that over look the nursery slopes which seems to do the trick but will have a look at eh others.... i wouldn't mind looking at la tania as i have never seen courcheval and could ski there one morning

of us its about convenience, so close to the snow and slopes for both us and the kids

cheers everyone
snow report
@ajc2260626, got to (I have never been to La Tania) suggest Avoriaz or Flaine then as really being the most generally ski in and out poss at least in this neck of the woods.
snow conditions
The easiest detours from the route into Tignes would certainly be the Three Valleys, then La Plagne, Les Arcs, La Rosiere and Sainte Foy as you are essentially driving right past the turnings for the each of these as you drive up the valley from Moutiers. La Plagne and Les Arcs are under half an hour up the hill and La Ros and Ste Foy probably less. Sainte Foy is a great little resort for children to learn in and lift queues are virtually nonexistent. We've found hotel accommodation in Les Arcs for just a couple of nights, and there is self catering in Ste Foy with flexible duration.
snow report
cheers @Loganberry, skied st foy, le ros, les arcs and one half of three valleys..... la tania seems interesting as i think that you can ski the courcheval side which i have seen.....
snow report
That's the great thing about having your car out there - we are recent converts but absolutely loving the flexibility. There seem to be some good suggestions above and I think we might be considering an extended trip next year taking in other resorts (although we still have plenty yet to explore in the Tarentaise!) Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy