Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thunder

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, so take long term forecast with a pinch of salt. Buts first day of trip to ADH is showing 22 cm of snow plus thunder. what's the risk for skiers waving metal poles around?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
None, unless there is lightning... Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dr Rock wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing witty!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dr Rock wrote:

Sigh! Just curious never been out in a storm before. Doubt it will stop me
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski without sticks it will improve your technique Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Posidrive, use carbon fibre ones ? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bones wrote:
Posidrive, use carbon fibre ones ? Toofy Grin

Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You are fine, but wear good ear muffs,
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Posidrive, With all the earthed lift towers and cables you should be fine. I wouldn't advise climbing any peaks though.

I suspect the resort will shutdown in the event of a proper thunder storm.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dr Rock wrote:

Not as flippant as it first seems, you can hear thunder from 20 miles away.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lightning can get you 50 miles away.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Norrin Radd wrote:

Technically speaking it isn't 50 miles away any more.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thornyhill wrote:
Norrin Radd wrote:

There's always one bright spark. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Norrin Radd wrote:

What, in the mountains?? We're not in Kansas any more Toto.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Orange200 wrote:

We're not in Kansas any more Toto.

I'm near certain that was a tornado rather than lightning. It would have been a crap movie if they had been struck by lightning.....very short
snow report
Having been on a chairlift last year when a sudden lightning storm hit a nearby lift I wouldn't recommend it. Best case they shut everything down leaving you with a challenging trip home.
snow conditions
If this is a serious post, I would say that lightening is far more likely to be attracted towards a lardy great steel lift pylon than an aluminium ski pole.
ski holidays
https://wmo.asu.edu/content/two-new-lightning-extremes-announced

France, nearly 200 miles.

@Thornyhill, yes quite right.
ski holidays
Thornyhill wrote:
Orange200 wrote:

We're not in Kansas any more Toto.

I'm near certain that was a tornado rather than lightning. It would have been a crap movie if they had been struck by lightning.....very short

Literally.
ski holidays
Should we get technical about how lightning conductors work? They don't 'attract' lightning. They offer a focus point which bleeds electrons from the sky which in turn negates the charged clouds. (This is the version for non nerds). I would be surprised if anything but the most severe storms could cause lightning in a ski resort covered in lightning conductors (aka pylons).

Nerd version

http://youtube.com/v/zhu5pIrPw7U&t=36s
snow report
funny version

http://youtube.com/v/wGc3q4dVOS0
ski holidays
dp wrote:
If this is a serious post, I would say that lightening is far more likely to be attracted towards a lardy great steel lift pylon than an aluminium ski pole.

Yes it is sort of. I know someone who had a near miss waving a golf club in the air in a storm
snow conditions
@Posidrive, that's just God having fun.
latest report
Just get composite poles wink
snow report
Ummmm...using carbon poles will not make any difference, it is a highly conductive material. All fisherman know to get out of the river, put your rid flat on the ground and get away from it when the lightening starts otherwise you are just carrying around a big lightening rod!
snow report
geepee wrote:
Thornyhill wrote:
Norrin Radd wrote:

@geepee, we can always rely on you to have your ion the current thread. Wink
snow report
You're not always going to be near pylons. Get off the ridge line quickly. At minimum, quicker than your buddy. Skullie
snow report
I've seen snow forecasts show thunder/lightening fairly often but never seen it actually happen in resort.

@Alastair Pink, that's terrible even for you.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@zikomo, didbt say carbon, said composite. If my £15 K2 poles have any significant carbon in them I'd be very surprised.
latest report
Posidrive wrote:

Yes it is sort of. I know someone who had a near miss waving a golf club in the air in a storm

Norrin Radd wrote:
@Posidrive, that's just God having fun.

Was he waving a 1 iron?
latest report
How often do you get conditions that give lightning during the ski season? I can think of one, maybe two occasions when I've heard (distant) thunder while skiing. It really doesn't happen very often.

Summertime at the top of mountains is much more likely. I used to spent quite a lot of time at the top of Mt Etna and on loads of occasions had to stop work because of lightning as my research included walking around with a sensor on top of a 3m metal pole. I was a walking lightning rod Happy On a couple of occasions I was inside a cloud that was so highly charged with static electricity that the ground was buzzing (just like the sound you hear as you walk past an electricity sub-station), hair would literally stand on end, and opening the door of the land rover would sometimes cause a massive spark between the edge of the door back to the body of the 4x4. When lightning struck a ridge just above us as we walked to the summit, the loudest noise I've ever heard, we knew it was time to retreat. Quite a surreal experience.
snow report
Carbon poles may well have a lightening effect, but what that has to do with lightning heaven only knows Toofy Grin
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
When lightning struck a ridge just above us as we walked to the summit, the loudest noise I've ever heard, we knew it was time to retreat. Quite a surreal experience.

Had a strike in the back yard when living in Calgary. So loud, thought the house had exploded, how anyone ever survives a strike is beyond me. Looks like the general consensus is that as long as you don't do the "over here guys" pole wave then should be good. For once glad to be the short ar*e in the group Smile
ski holidays
@rob@rar, I once had an interesting experience walking past one of the many little shrines to the Virgin Mary on a mountain near Garmisch. Mary was buzzing and I swear she was glowing a bit too. I took this as personal advice to get my ass into the nearby Hütte and not come out again until Mary calmed down a bit.
snow conditions
Yoda wrote:
Carbon poles may well have a lightening effect, but what that has to do with lightning heaven only knows Toofy Grin

This.
snow report
Posidrive wrote:
Had a strike in the back yard when living in Calgary. So loud, thought the house had exploded, how anyone ever survives a strike is beyond me.
Know that feeling, although in my case my immediate reaction was that the volcano had suddenly exploded and I was pleased that my first reaction was to look up for falling rocks rather than run away or burst in to tears. I certainly understood the phrase "ringing in your ears" after that. A friend who had worked on Etna for years had been struck by lightning twice, but he explained that because there wasn't a great distance between the ground and the cloud (tall mountain, low cloud) the potential difference wasn't so great and the voltages involved not so high. Not sure if this is true or not, but my one experience of lightning up close is not something that I'd care to repeat.

Steilhang Laughing You can certainly understand how some natural phenonoma cause all sorts of non-scientific explanations when you witness something quite awe inspiring. A nighttime visit to an active volcano truly makes you think you are looking straight in to the Gates of Hell, and no doubt a glowing Mary makes some reach for the Holy Water.
snow conditions
geepee wrote:
Thornyhill wrote:
Norrin Radd wrote:

tittyboom!,
snow report
@rob@rar, I am very impressed, that was a hair raising story! I am one of those freaks you see outside waiting for the next crack, I would have loved and hated what you did , all at the same time. ( I think I could be a tad weird)
ski holidays
@biddpyat, you want hair-raising...

ski holidays
You've obviously cut your hair since.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy