Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Breaking news on BBC , avalanche Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/13/least-two-dead-avalanche-french-ski-resort-tignes/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
According to the beeb, it's 4 now Sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just had a quick search on Twitter looks like it occurred here - https://twitter.com/RAsnowboarding/status/831109158988570624

Having never been myself I don't know of the name of this sector but I'm sure someone else does - alarming how close to the pistes it is if this is a true image.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If it really is at 2100m it is below resort level so in the Sache or above Boisses. I'm close to tears.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lavachet wall..........
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Brother in law and family are there at moment Shocked Hoping they are safe and sound

EDIT - they are, just replied to text

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 13-02-17 12:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Taken from Le Dauphine website:

12 H 58: According to the station, "today at the end of the morning at 10H35 a 400-meter-wide avalanche broke out in the off-piste sector of Tovière. Passing a group of skiers on holiday in the resort, supervised by professionals.

The alert was given by station personnel who saw the incident immediately warned the rescue workers.

The rescue teams were instantly mobilized thanks to the Tignes rescue trackers and several dog teams. Staff and ski instructors are currently lending a hand. Search is still ongoing. "
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Very scary and upsetting , is that just a small area of Off-Piste linked to the main pistes?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OMG, horrible news. Hope the casualty toll doesn't rise.

Let's wait for the facts before we make a judgement as to where / how / why ...

PS - we are flying out to VDI on Saturday
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowornever wrote:
Lavachet wall..........

Yes, you can clearly see it on the webcam. Its a massive slide. So sad.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@bar shaker, which cam? Tignes website?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

above the building Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Awful, awful news
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like a huge slide - so close to the town as well. Its far from out-back country
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
https://www.tignesnet.com/webcams/le-lac-centre between the 10.30 and 10.40 webcam shots.

@Rob_Quads, It's outside the resort area though. Just because you can see a dozen bars doesn't mean that the skiing is safe... It's well off piste.
snow report
You can see it here: http://www.bergfex.com/tignes/webcams/c3817/

Avalanche occured between 10:00 and 10:30 -> you can clearly see its size...
snow report
franga wrote:
@bar shaker, which cam? Tignes website?

The Le Lac cam.
snow conditions

Sad
ski holidays
Just looked at the website webcam, it's a big slide.
ski holidays
Looks massive though can't see the crown clearly on the webcam. A lot of people to be caught in one slide.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, Guide + 8 apparently, latest reports saying triggered by group above. Anyone know if Ski Club of Great Britain members involved?
snow conditions
Medium size.

snow conditions
Horrible. Really horrible.

The webcam has timelapse pictures.
https://tignes.roundshot.com/lac/

You can see the group on the webcam at 10:30, to the left of the barriers underneath the face. At 10:40 they're gone.
ski holidays
@Dr John, news reports saying the group were French
snow report
@Hells Bells, thanks. Tragic stuff.
latest report
Dr John wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, Guide + 8 apparently, latest reports saying triggered by group above. Anyone know if Ski Club of Great Britain members involved?

Why should they be?
latest report
Sad Sad Sad
snow report

The skiers were visible at the top before it happened.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@achilles, lots of enthusiastic off-piste members in Val/Tignes, many of them friends of mine.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 13-02-17 13:50; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Maireadoconnor wrote:
Horrible. Really horrible.

The webcam has timelapse pictures.
https://tignes.roundshot.com/lac/

You can see the group on the webcam at 10:30, to the left of the barriers underneath the face. At 10:40 they're gone.

It's quite scary seeing them there one minute and then the next.......gone.
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
Dr John wrote:

Why should they be?
It's fair to say that when we were there in 2013 (I think) when the big avalanche happened under the Tovierre, Tea-clubbers (on the reps' course) were making a right pain of themselves dropping in on our lines and skiing above us etc but I don't think that's enough to presume that they'll automatically be involved when something goes wrong.

Personally I'm waiting with baited breath to find out if the victims were wearing beeps. After the 2013 incident where a girl, trainee instructor died as a direct result of the time it took to find her without a beep, I would hope that lesson was learned and a group led by 'a professional' would not be in such a vulnerable position. A beep us no magic shield of course but if they've not found everyone yet though, I tend to doubt they were properly equipped for being where they were.
ski holidays
@admin, @achilles, to clarify, I was asking if SCGB were caught up in the slide, not asking of they triggered it. The members I ski with are extremely safety conscious and would not do anything reckless, either with their own safety or others.
latest report
@admin, i dont think that presumption has been made. Dr john went on to say he has friends who are members.

Awful
snow report
Terrible news Sad Sad Sad
snow report
After looking at @Whitegold, pic I was wondering the same. To me it looks like they are lining up to do a probeline.
snow report
Le Dauphine saying that it was an organised group led by an instructor from ESF du Lac.
ski holidays
SnowPenguin wrote:
After looking at @Whitegold, pic I was wondering the same. To me it looks like they are lining up to do a probeline.

That 'line' does not show the 200 + Pisterers, Gendarmes, instructors in the hollow searching. You can not also see the 2 piste machines. It is big & deep.
snow report
@stewart woodward, I did not mean to insinuate anything with my statement, sorry if it came across that way. It was more a question based on the limited information I could gather from the photo.
latest report
Very scary to think at least four people can lose their lives in an area so close to resort and, presumably, help.
If they were wearing beeps then it makes it more worrying still.
Above all, it is just so sad that the mountains have, yet again, claimed the lives of some people who went out to enjoy the mountains.
snow report

From BBC website. This is in the hollow that you can't see from the webcam.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy