Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hardshells and Mountain Equipment Drilite fabric

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm rather fond of my softshell and it's fine in light snow, but after getting a bit soggy over the last couple of weeks I think a hardshell is probably a good idea. I can acquire a Mountain Equipment jacket made from Drilite 70D fabric (whatever that means) for a fraction of the price of a GoreTex Pro shell. Not wanting to be sucked in by the branding, I'd be happy with that if it works.

So does anyone have any experience of the ME Drilite shells and how waterproof/breathable/durable they are? Failing that, I'll take any recommendations for similar jackets (preferably under £200), bearing in mind that I'm female. I'm not interested in anything insulated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look on sportpursuit.com - you should be able to get a Goretex shell for sub £200. Given Goretex's lifetime guarantee and the higher standards the manufacturer has to reach before they can use Goretex, I wouldn't go past it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Keep an eye on eBay. ME seconds come up pretty regularly, my Changabang was about £170 a couple of years ago just because an inner pocket was partially glued shut. Took all of. 5min to fix it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Tom Doc, Thanks, but I can't currently see anything suitable on there and as my next trip is in three weeks the lead times may be a little tight.

@davkt, ME don't appear to make a women's GTX ski jacket as far as I can tell.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Do they do women's mountaineering ones? Mine is sold for mountaineering so double as my year round hiking jacket.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Never had a bad ME product myself.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah, kinda, not quite what I'm after though. There isn't really a women's equivalent of the Changabang, which would otherwise be ideal.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scarlet wrote:
Yeah, kinda, not quite what I'm after though. There isn't really a women's equivalent of the Changabang, which would otherwise be ideal.

It's the Januk:

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/janak-wmns-jacket
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@galpinos, Thanks but it doesn't have the ski specific features like a lift pass pocket or snow skirt. I need this as in deep snow I'll likely spend a lot of time on my back bottom.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ah, I can't stand snow skirts and don't use lift pass sleeve pockets (it's in my fleece chect pocket) so has never been an issue.

I'd stick with the Magik jacket then. 70D means 70 Dernier, this at the durable end of the scale.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My Changabang is pre lift pass pocket on that design I just stick it in the inside chest pocket and it works fine. Would miss the snow skirt though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Midweek bump. Seriously, nobody has a Drilite jacket?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy