Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz or La Plagne ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Any advice on a suitable end of season destination appreciated. Criteria :

- self-drive from Calais
- English-speaking ski school for children age 4 - 8
- ditto for 1 adult

Best choices look like Avoriaz and La Plagne. Avoriaz probably topping it as has known English ski school and is a bit nearer. Any other suggestions/help/advice, particularly regarding ski school ?

Thanks Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd be inclined to go with Avoriaz if I were making the same choice. Village des Enfants is a good set up from what I recall with a good range of ski school choices, closer drive by some margin and likely to still have a reasonable base at the end of the season. The resort can feel a little artificial as you probably know (assuming you've been there before) and of course you have to park out of the resort too. You could always stock up at the Carrefour between St Jean d'Aulps and Morzine though for better priced food.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Val Thorens... Obviously Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As above, Val Tho.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Skied all the above 2-3 times each. Must say I prefer Avoriaz of those listed. Val Thorens always seems a bit bleak and I prefer now to ski in from Courchevel for the day.

All purpose built resorts but Avoriaz seems more concentrated. Good public swimming pool and great spot in the middle of town for kids to tobbogan.

No ideas about ski schools.

All are great ski areas and if I was after an advanced/off-piste week Val Thorens would be first choice.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When you say end of season, are you meaning the second week of April or later?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
LA Plagne is very busy and not the most chat ing place in the world. The more pleasant runs, lower down are often closed late season. What about Cervinia? Not too much further
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whats the faff like getting through the MB tunnel to get to Cervinia when driving from/to Calais ?

Viamichellin suggests actual drive time to Cervinia is only a little longer than say 3v or Paradiski, but not sure if that allows for tunnel faff and potential hold ups at the tunnel. We'd be going 8-15 so easter week (we normally do Courchevel at Easter but I fancy a possible change).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Interestingly,Google maps has Virginia as a 35 minute longer drive than La Plagne.
Take into account the late season ski heading to Val/Tignes/paradigms/3v etc. And the associated queues,I think Cervinia would likely be a quicker drive and the tunnel fees would soon be recouped with cheaper Italian prices. - if only the same could be said if you ski over the border to Zermatt.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I drove thro7gh the tunnel late last year. It was empty, no queues. Expensive tho8gh with current exchange rates. Cervinia offers so much long high easy runs and challenges over the border at Zermatt.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Cervinia offers so much long high easy runs and challenges over the border at Zermatt.

This is kind of what appealed, long cruisey flattering blues and easier reds for the boys, as this trip we plan to ski with the kids entirely and not put them in ski school.
I was also hoping it would be less busy than the 3v/paradiski and better value for eating out on the mountain.

Are there tolls on the road between the MB tunnel and the Cervinia valley do you know.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry to the OP for thread digression on Cervinia.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gazzza wrote:
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Cervinia offers so much long high easy runs and challenges over the border at Zermatt.

This is kind of what appealed, long cruisey flattering blues and easier reds for the boys, as this trip we plan to ski with the kids entirely and not put them in ski school.
I was also hoping it would be less busy than the 3v/paradiski and better value for eating out on the mountain.

Are there tolls on the road between the MB tunnel and the Cervinia valley do you know.

it's not much. Fuel is expensive in Italy though. Fill up in France.lots of easy blue cruising.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy