Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where do you go for your holiday money?

Poster: A snowHead
Going off to Chatel this weekend. Have sorted out my Euros for this time round, but as I did so, I am always wondering where's best to buy and exchange back currency. My bank does a commission free service, so I've just used them but there are always other offers on. I always wonder if it's better to use a debit or credit card instead. I don't have the right sort of brain for comparing percentages, exchange rates and so on and as so many people of you seem to have a few trips away each year, then I'm sure someone has worked this out.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I never buy currency anymore - use my visa card in resort or at the airport to get local currency - as newspapers/magazines always say this gives best rates.
(Usually take out a fairly high amount - so not repeatedly going to cash point for small amounts and getting stung on lots of minimum handling charge fees)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Join the euro and you won't have any more problems! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Soozy, I usually order a small amount online from www.travelex.co.uk and pick them up at the airport, but now only if I need to (useful for motorway tolls etc). I have a Nationwide flex account and cash withdrawals and purchases with my debit card have no handling fees attached. You also get the bank exchange rate.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think it's most common now that people draw money from cash machines with their credit/debit cards.

In this circumstance a credit card will charge you for drawing cash. Usually a debit card will not.

The really crafty thing though, is that this way the punter (customer) never really bothers himself about the exchange rate and if your bank chooses to, it can fleece u by giving u a rubbish rate.

In my experience, the Nationwide gives about 3 cents more per £ than Lloyds, Natwest or Mint.

So that's the answer - use a Nationwide debit card: convenience, no charges AND a good exchange rate.

I would like to know the best place for changing € back to £ though: anyone?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Following numerous bits of advice, I tried to open a nationwide account online. I was doing fine until it asked me for a work phone number (not mobile). I don't have a work number that isn't a mobile, but it wouldn't let me proceed without one (it wouldn't accept my usual trick of 01234 567890). Hmm. So I eventually had to enter a real number....I just hope that the poor soul who's number it is never gets a call for me.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I always buy my holiday money from Marks and Spencer; they seem to have the best rate.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Always use a debit card for drawing cash and or credit card to pay. Be careful as there can be a maximum amount that you are authorised to withdraw overseas. With my Lloyds TSB debit card (& wifes Barclays debit card), it seems to be around 200 Euros - suspect an anti fraud device?

Never bother changing back - know that at some stage will be back in Europe and that is when the change etc. from the previous trip will be useful for tolls, airport trolleys etc. That is the good thing about the Euro - you have a currency that can be used in many countries.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I forgot to add that the online rate from Travelex is far better than you gat by just buying at the airport.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Marks & Spencer for me too, rates always good, no charges and a smaller buy/sell spread. Always take a fair amount of cash as I am sure one day I will get done for speeding on the autoroute. (nothing to excessive of course with fully loaded car and top box)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Normally go to Post Office. Commision free slightly lower exchange rate but still appears to be best deal on the High Street
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Of course that goes out of the window if we drive. Then I usually go to the Post office or wherevers nearest.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I tend to use travelex online and pick them up at the airport as they generally offer the best interest rates.
On the high street thomas cook is the best place to go, they will price match the best quote that you can get elsewhere (usually american express) and do it commission free too. You can also try making up an exchange rate (within reason) thats better than you've got elsewhere and see what happens, at worst they can only say no!!!!
Remember if you are buying currency on the high street (not from your own bank) to use cash as you will be charged 1.5-2% to cover the visa costs to process the transaction...

Withdrawing cash from abroad tends to get you bettter rates as the banks will use the market FX rate rather than the tourist rate, but often charge you a handling fee on top.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Having travelled lots, the simple answer is:

1) WITHDRAWING CASH ABROAD: DON'T USE CREDIT CARDS. EVER. mountain mad wot u on about??? Visa and all other credit cards charges the most.

All debit cards take a "fee" for each cash withdrawl (usually the exchange rate + a "service fee" for having carried out the exchange). It's just not the astronomical amount that credit cards charge. Yes, even NatWest. They don't charge a service fee but don't be deceived - they're still selling you Euros for more than they originally bought them!

So if you want to take money out of a hole in the wall, then debit cards are much more preferable over credit cards.

However on week-long trips to Europe, I've found the best value is in buying the Euro cash before you leave the UK.
Top 2 = Post Office, as above. Bestest of the best is Travelex (also as above).

2) PAYING FOR STUFF: USE CREDIT CARDS. Debit cards attract a whopping "service" fee when used at the till abroad. However, unlike when used for cash, credit card purchases usually attract comparably good exchange rate. So it's good for larger till purchases, like dinners, ski hire, lift passes etc. And unlike cash, credit cards have the advantage of an interest-free period. Just remember to pay balance in full upon return from holiday. Or, alternatively, load up the credit card with credit and spend your own money.
BUT always check for credit card "service loading" fees (highly likely when offered lift-passes from your British TO rep on the transfer bus).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hello I'm new in snowhead community, I would like to know if any of you know any place where to go in Easten Europe.
ski holidays
Having travelled lots, I disagree with the simplicity of your simple answer or to use your own term of phrase: Manda, wot u on about???
Quote:
mountain mad wot u on about??? Visa and all other credit cards charges the most.
mountain mad didn't say she was using a credit card. She said she was using her Visa card. My Visa debit card, charges the least ie. nothing!
Quote:
All debit cards take a "fee" for each cash withdrawl (usually the exchange rate + a "service fee" for having carried out the exchange)
The Nationwide doesn't charge a service fee for a cashpoint withdrawal in Europe. The other bank (who's ATM it is) might but not always. It's exchange rate is always much closer to the bank rate than any other agency I've seen.
Quote:

However on week-long trips to Europe, I've found the best value is in buying the Euro cash before you leave the UK.
Top 2 = Post Office, as above. Bestest of the best is Travelex (also as above).
I've checked the Post office before and although it's 'commission free', the rate is never anywhere near Nationwide's. I've just looked at the Travelex site and it's rate is again, 3 cents below the current Nationwide one.

Quote:
PAYING FOR STUFF: USE CREDIT CARDS. Debit cards attract a whopping "service" fee when used at the till abroad.
Not true at all in my experience.
Quote:
However, unlike when used for cash, credit card purchases usually attract comparably good exchange rate.
Credit Cards do not charge different exchange rates for cash and purchases. But they do charge a % fee for a cash withdrawal whether at home or abroad.

Hope this helps wink
ski holidays
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1106765397,71685
this backs up mine and admins use of the nationwide debit card.
latest report
Perhaps slightly off topic:

Upon occasion, foreign merchants can offer to fix an exchange rate for you, if you are using a credit card. Effectively this means that you are signing a credit card slip, it is in sterling, although the functional currency of the country is (say) Euro.

This is said to improve transparency, and in theory you should always be offered the option of paying in the local currency. However, the rate ususally seems to be worse than you would normally get (itself not necessarily great rate) and some merchants don't offer you the "local" option. If a merchant tries this on, you should be able to insist on paying the "local" amount
snow conditions
Nationwide have no charges but they don't use the same exchange rate that the other cards do so they actually end up costing more.
The Sunday Times Travel section did a piece about it a few months ago and showed how much you'd get charged if you took out 100 Euro and Nationwide were about the most expensive.
snow conditions
RichA, not true, we took out cash on the same day using a Barclays and Nationwide debit card, Nationwide gave me a better rate, and no charge. It's in black and white on my bank statement.
snow conditions
I use this company, best rates I could find and free delivery

http://www.crowncurrencyexchange.com/

AW
ski holidays
RichA, sorry mate but Helen Beaumont's right. I used a Nationwide card on the same day as a Lloyds TSB one. Nationwide did the better rate by 3 to 4 cents in the pound and, as u say, no charges.

AlpineWalker, those rates don't look bad but minimum £500? Shocked
The NW rate is about the same as the the rate they'll give u on 51 days' notice - but instant wink
snow report
Every site I've googled re Nationwide recommended it as a 'best buy'. The current account is not the best on offer but not bad. I was astounded how good the exchange rates were when I saw my bank statement.
ski holidays
Quote:
AlpineWalker, those rates don't look bad but minimum £500? Shocked

I usually buy for a group of us, so the minimum isn't an issue

AW
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Every site I've googled re Nationwide recommended it as a 'best buy'. The current account is not the best on offer but not bad. I was astounded how good the exchange rates were when I saw my bank statement.

Better get myself a Nationwide account then !!

I wonder if Nationwide have changed their fx spread since the Sunday Times article ?? ... the journalist was effectively accusing them of mis representaion in their advertising.

I tried quite hard from Nationwide yesterday (several calls and emails) to get their latest Euro fx rate but they sent me down loads of blind alleys and eventually said they couldn't tell me as Visa handled it whereas my bank (HSBC) can tell you straight off with one phone call.

Can anyone give me a date and a rate that they got from Nationwide recently and I'll compare it to transactions I've done?
snow conditions
Thanks everyone for all the pointers for my next trip.
ski holidays
RichA wrote:

Can anyone give me a date and a rate that they got from Nationwide recently and I'll compare it to transactions I've done?

Here you go

02 February 2006 26.60CHF at 2.273 £11.70 Switzerland
03 February 2006 3.80EUR at 1.467 £2.59 France
03 February 2006 7.60EUR at 1.470 £5.17 France
03 February 2006 43.40CHF at 2.283 £19.01 Switzerland
03 February 2006 40.99EUR at 1.468 £27.91 Germany
03 February 2006 290.90EUR at 1.468 Germany

- edited to show countries

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 4-02-06 19:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
davidof, which particular border were you popping backwards and forwards across?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We use M&S too but I think we might have to look into the Nationwide account.
ski holidays
Kramer, sounds like Basel to me...
snow report
davidof wrote:

02 February 2006 26.60CHF at 2.273 £11.70 Switzerland
03 February 2006 3.80EUR at 1.467 £2.59 France

they are very good rates ...

i got

1.42 GBP to EUR on 13/01 and
2.20 GBP to CHF on 30/01

Nationwide here I come.
latest report
gsb wrote:
Marks & Spencer for me too, rates always good, no charges and a smaller buy/sell spread. Always take a fair amount of cash as I am sure one day I will get done for speeding on the autoroute. (nothing to excessive of course with fully loaded car and top box)

Coming back to Calais by waymarker 38.6 mobile Radar twice last week. Pull you off at the peage and have you pay your fines (speed + no GB sticker + etc etc!) I didn't get caught but chatted to some who did, the Police were most concerned with portable sat nav's it is up to you to prove it is not a radra detector. Possesion of a radar detector is illegal in France! Shocked
snow report
boredsurfin, We also saw the gendarmes parked up with what looked like a large pair of binoculars pointed at us, fortunately were were under the limit. We used a Sat Nav and a GPS based radar detector. Carried the paperwork for the detector, which declares it's legality and which EU countries that it applies to, IIRC in the language of those countries Little Angel
ski holidays
130 kph is surely fast enough?
snow report
We use Nationwide aswell and got excellent exchange rates when we coud use the machines. But we have just spent a week in Panorama in Canada, where the cash machine was in the general store, not at a bank. For some reason Nationwide cards don't seemed to be recognised in these type of machines (we tried three different machines over the two weeks) and ended up having to use our NatWest card instead.
ski holidays
Anniegirl, I had problems with cards not being recognised in Canada last year, but not the Nationwide one, I think it was my Barclays one.
ski holidays
Because I keep going back to the same resort, I've had a bank account in Wengen for many years, as long as I keep a few hundred quid in the account the interest pays for my fees, but the best thing is that I get a better rate than the UK and no fees other than my £2.50 per year, you get an even better rate if you pay a cheque in which is certainly not true in the UK
latest report
Many of the Canadian machines are not accepting VISA cards, and I don't mean just credit cards but VISA debit cards. So please be aware of this if you're heading out that way.
snow report
We had the Nationwide Visa debit card, it worked fine at the banks, just not the machines up in the resorts
ski holidays
hi am new here , not sure where to post this really rolling eyes we are a family of 7 , kids 17 16 15 14 and 10 yrs, we have never been sking before but want to go this xmas for a week.can anyone suggest a good resort(not too expensive as we have to hire absolutely everything) ! somewhere in france where we can drive to from st malo.
i would be so gratefull from all you experienced skiers out there!
thanks so much carly xx
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy