Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Terme in Cortina and other non-skiing activites

Poster: A snowHead
Any recommendations for a nice QC Terme style place in or around Cortina? Have car, can drive further.

Also any non skiing activity suggestions? One thing I was looking at was snow shoeing up to the refugio Croda da Lago for a high altitude sauna

Grazie tante!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bump. Can anyone tell me if Rifugio Lagazuoi is accessible for a non-skier? Can you take the gondola up and go to the museum? My friend can't ski so looking for non-skiing stuff, in particular it would be nice to get up the mountain because I'm sure the scenery is spectacular
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A drive up into the Passo Falzarego and Passo Giau high-mountain passes (if open) are well worth it for a daytrip.

Great scenery.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
moseyp wrote:
Bump. Can anyone tell me if Rifugio Lagazuoi is accessible for a non-skier? Can you take the gondola up and go to the museum? My friend can't ski so looking for non-skiing stuff, in particular it would be nice to get up the mountain because I'm sure the scenery is spectacular

Yes, it is. Ride the cable car up & down, prices for single/return journeys are quoted at the base station.

Views are pretty special at the top cablecar station. You can climb up some more steps to the Rifugio which has a large terrace and an even wider view.

Sorry can't help with the spa/terme, but a Google search will no doubt pull up something, often attached to larger hotels and often open to non-guests.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Whitegold, thanks I'll have a look at that

@luigi, great I was hoping it would be

I've already had a good look at hotel & public options but nothing stands out like a QC place, so looking for recommendations from people who have been. There is a QC Terme about two hours away but think it's just a bit too far to drive
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There is a QC place at Pozza di Fassa, the next village along from where we stayed last week, but we didn't pay a visit...it's a fair schlep from Cortina along with 2 mountain passes to cross.

https://www.qcterme.com/it/val-di-fassa/qc-terme-dolomiti

This page has some Cortina options...

http://www.cortinadolomiti.eu/cms-01.00/articolo.asp?IDcms=1318&s=252&l=EN
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @luigi

Am I right in saying that the war museum is up by the Rifugio Lagazuoi? We were planning to come up to the rifugio so we could have lunch and check out the views then I'd head off on the hidden valley run while she sees the museum. Does that sound like a feasible plan? I'm finding the hidden valley run a little tricky to work out. I believe it's run 101 but there's no 101 on the piste map on the Cortina website. Also, I'm not sure from the piste map how accessible Alta Badia is from Cinque Torri
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've not stopped to do any museums there, but I think it's more of an open-air museum where you can visit various tunnels and gun emplacements hewn out of the rock. I'm not sure how accessible it all is in winter conditions though. I think your companion will be waiting around for you for quite a while.

There are 2 runs off Lagazuoi, the red down the front face which leads back to the cablecar base station and the 'Hidden Valley' red which takes you many kms away. You need to get a taxi-bus back up the pass to the cable-car, it currently costs €6, but they need at least 5 people to do the trip, so you may have to wait a while until another party arrives. The run takes 30-40 mins at a relaxed pace and the journey back up to Falzarego 15-20 mins, the only unknown is the wait time for the taxi-bus, there is a taxi guy at the bottom of the run by the Capanna Alpina coordinating it all.

From the bottom of the Hidden Valley you can also continue into the Alta Badia ski area, the options are the Horse Tow at €2.50 which will involve some skating/poling to get to the draglift at Armentarola or a taxi-bus which will take you to the San Cassiano Piz Sorega gondola, but again you will need others to fill it with you. Though you would be leaving your companion behind if you do this. Can she not ski?

This is the view from the Alta Badia side...

And the Cortina side...

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PS. It would be great if they built those lifts indicated by the dotted white lines! Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@luigi, thank you so much - that's extremely helpful. Was finding it really tricky to work out

Unfortunately she has some pins in her shin from a skiing accident and can't ski, but she's very patient and happy to relax somewhere with sunshine, pretty views and a book so I was hoping to get in the hidden valley. I believe it's very beautiful? I especially like the sound of the horse tow
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@moseyp, Oh, sounds nasty, what a shame!

There are many nice runs in the Dolomites, but the Hidden Valley is said to one of the most beautiful in the Alps, I would be pushed to disagree. It definitely begs to be done if you are in the area.

The Horse Tow is a bit hairy, I've seen people have pile-ups and fall off and it doesn't wait for them to catch up and grab on a again. You would only need to do that if you were carrying on into the Alta Badia ski area though.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think it's so unique you would want to experience it regardless. Also @moseyp, there is a lovely hotel(ref A on the map above) where your friend could meet you for lunch at the end of the pony and trap tow, then take the bus back to Lagazuoi. If you are there the hidden valley is a must.
Just for clarity, when we did the hidden valley 2 weeks ago some Asian boarders where having great difficulty staying upright but the horseman staopped 2 or 3 times for them until we encouraged them to go up fornt and ride in the trap. It's not hairy at at all @luigi, fairly tame for sensible people.
Mountain spas http://www.cortinadolomiti.eu/cms-01.00/articolo.asp?IDcms=2183&s=282&l=EN
Cortina spas http://www.cortinadolomiti.eu/cms-01.00/articolo.asp?IDcms=1318&s=281&l=EN

I've only been there once at the end of January but have booked to return on 11th March. It's a beautiful place and area.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks @luigi, @northantsred, really looking forward to it
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@luigi, @northantsred, made it up to Lagazuoi yesterday and did the hidden valley run down to the horse tow and into alta badia. The scenery was spectacular so very happy we made the effort. Horse tow was my favourite part though, glad I skied down a little further to make it. There was about 40 of us. Taxi was just leaving as I made it round.

The rifugio had just closed after lunch and my friend couldn't get anything so she went for a wander to take some photos of the scenery, and saw some tunnels although they were closed. The war museum was open but she didn't realise and it's a bit of a walk down from the lift base. Saw the sauna at the top, we should have done it but were under a bit of pressure to drive six hours home so decided to give it a miss
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well done. I agree it is truly spectacular.

6 hour drive? Where to?

I liked my time there so much I have decided to pop back out for another week begining March 11th.
ski holidays
@northantsred, what is it like for a holiday? one thing I couldn't get my head around was how spread out it all is - is there a good bus system? I only skied Lagazuoi and around Tofana. What is the rest of it like - is anywhere else connected?

That drive up to Lagazuoi is really something else

I live on the other side of the country, so we aimed to leave by 4pm. Would have loved to have done the sauna otherwise. Also would have been really nice to stay up there for the night - the refugio is quite reasonably priced and I'd love to have seen the sky on a clear night up there
latest report
The skiing in and around Cortina is not very well connected but to me that is part of it's charm. And the scenery of course. Also if you are on holiday then travelling here and there is not so much of a drain on your time?

For a better connected area nearby is Corvara/Alta Badia which has plenty of skiing locally and also has the added attraction of being on the Sella Ronda circuit. Which opens up a massive linked domain.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy