Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how hard is the Hidden valley?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm taking my children to Alta Badia over half term and they had their first week skiing last year. They were on reds by the end of the week.
I'm keen to explore the hidden valley with them, but once you're in you're in and its over 8Km long, so what I don't want to do is push them too hard so they hate it/lose their confidence.
piste classification can sometimes be a bit hit and miss.
is it a red red? or at the easy or hard end of the spectrum?
Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Easy red, Plenty of vids of it on youtube, if you wanted to see the gradients. It does tend to get get busy however
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Easy gradient but narrow, some places you need to keep some speed to avoid pushing over rolling parts from what I can remember.

The red back down to the Lagazuoi lift is also worth doing, steeper than hidden valley but very quiet and wider. We had the entire run to ourselves and it was in excellent condition with just artificial snow.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dublin2 wrote:
Easy red, Plenty of vids of it on youtube, if you wanted to see the gradients. It does tend to get get busy however

+1

and really it's only the first pitch from the cable car and a bit past the ice waterfall just after Scotonis which is red. The rest is blue.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Last time I skiied it, at the end you had to get a tow behind a horse over a considerable flat part to get back to the bus stop. Along with about 20 other people IIRC. That's probably the most taxing part, but its also different so don't let it put you off as you wont get that experience every day!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Last time I skiied it, at the end you had to get a tow behind a horse over a considerable flat part to get back to the bus stop

there's a bus option for that bit, IIRC. It's a lovely trip to do. The only difficulty I can remember was for the snowboarder in our group who didn't like the flat bits. Skiers who can skate effectively for a bit won't have a problem. If your kids can't, they might get a bit tired and fed up.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andy1234 wrote:
Last time I skiied it, at the end you had to get a tow behind a horse over a considerable flat part to get back to the bus stop. Along with about 20 other people IIRC. That's probably the most taxing part, but its also different so don't let it put you off as you wont get that experience every day!

This. Not sure whether they will stop for you/them if they fall off! There are a couple of restaurants so whilst you can't get out once you start, you might be able to tempt then with a drink/food on the way! Perhaps try some shorter reds more locally at the start of the week and then if all seems well then go for it in the second half of the week.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Hidden Valley was unusually mogulled earlier this week. There were several narrow places which were difficult to negotiate because of a combination of moguls and numerous skiers having some problems with them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If adults want to take the horse tow the kids can ride in the cart behind the horse. Go up to the top, look at the first bit, if the kids are OK with that it just gets easier.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Most of it is a traverse. There are a couple of bits that drop down the side of the hill and are typically red in pitch. The hardest part is all the polling after the horsedrawncarriage.

If you're doing it I strongly recommended doing the great war ring anti clockwise. Skiing over civetta and cinque rodeo are far more Spectacular than the Hidden Valley. Easy skiing and very easily done in a day.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Skiing over civetta and cinque rodeo are far more Spectacular than the Hidden Valley..

Yep, ride that cinque rodeo cowboy, yee-haw! Laughing ( I guess you meant to type Cinque Torri) wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alastair Pink wrote:
Skiing over civetta and cinque rodeo are far more Spectacular than the Hidden Valley..

Yep, ride that cinque rodeo cowboy, yee-haw! Laughing ( I guess you meant to type Cinque Torri) wink

yes, sorry, not sure how the spell Check did that.nonetheless, cinque torri is wonderful.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
quite fancy this trip, anyone got any photos?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It is an easy red.

One of the prettiest trails in the Alps (as are several others nearby).

Everything you need to know here:

http://theskisafari.com/best-pistes-hidden-valley-dolomites/

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

http://youtube.com/v/N3giAJpQA2c

The first pic of a chairlift is cinque torri . From 4.50 the video is dropping over the side of Civetta to pick up the bus that trundle up to Cinque To Fri.
After 7.00 its the hidden valley.

If you do the Great War ring it's best to do it anti clockwise so you Smith's hidden valley. Make sure you double back to do a to bottom of Alleghe thr0ugh to trees, above the lake. This is one of the most stunning runs in the Alps.
If you skirt an ok acrylic can easily do the Great War ring, a top to bottom of Marmolada, a switch back top to bottom to Slow the, a Coffee at the outdoor cafe area at the top above Alleghe( amazing views - check out Admins Bombardino pic from this year's pre birthday bash), a turn off to sundown to the bottom right at Cinque To Fri (amazing run through the trees), delicious lunch at the refuge at Cinque Torri and a quick drink at the famous ref8ge half way down the hidden valley. If you ski quite slowly or you re long munchers then miss the Marmolada bit which crowded in the lift and on the piste and probably the least enjoyable part if an epic day.
ski holidays
If you skirt an ok acrylic can easily do the Great War ring..

Puzzled

I tend not to wear a skirt Shocked (acrylic or otherwise), but I have been known to wear the occasional tweed outfit whilst skiing.... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Alastair Pink wrote:
If you skirt an ok acrylic can easily do the Great War ring..

Puzzled

I tend not to wear a skirt Shocked (acrylic or otherwise), but I have been known to wear the occasional tweed outfit whilst skiing.... Toofy Grin

bloody spell check. If you ski at an ok pace.

We know you wear skirts really Mr Pink
ski holidays
I really would like to know where you got your "Dylan Thomas impersonator" app from, @cameronphillips2000, ! Or is it Mr Apple choosing things at random?

Depending where you are going at the end of the Hidden Valley, it might be worth avoiding the horses and getting one of the taxis that are to be found just to the left of the second and final cafe. You thus avoid all the flats and the horses. OK to do once, but can be a longish wait and if any of the 80 or so people hanging on to the rope crash, then you are going to be in a pile. You also get sprayed with brown snow!

As regards the run itself, I think it is a reasonably challenging red from a child's point of view. It starts off quite steep and lumpy, and has other quite demanding bits. Give it a go, sure, but take it easy, would be my advice. It is a great experience and a bit of an adventure.
ski holidays
@Chris Bish, +1 in every detail!
snow report
Chris Bish wrote:
I really would like to know where you got your "Dylan Thomas impersonator" app from, @cameronphillips2000, ! Or is it Mr Apple choosing things at random?

Depending where you are going at the end of the Hidden Valley, it might be worth avoiding the horses and getting one of the taxis that are to be found just to the left of the second and final cafe. You thus avoid all the flats and the horses. OK to do once, but can be a longish wait and if any of the 80 or so people hanging on to the rope crash, then you are going to be in a pile. You also get sprayed with brown snow!

As regards the run itself, I think it is a reasonably challenging red from a child's point of view. It starts off quite steep and lumpy, and has other quite demanding bits. Give it a go, sure, but take it easy, would be my advice. It is a great experience and a bit of an adventure.

Not sure as to be flattered by being compared to a literary genius or offended as coming across as Welsh.
snow report
Not just Welsh, but near-permanently blotto, too!

I know he got a bit carried away at times, but I like. Dylan Thomas too, not just your surreal phone.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy