Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

JACKSON HOLE SHUT DOWN TO FEB 13TH AT LEAST

Poster: A snowHead
A windstorm has damaged the powerlines and poles feeding juice to the mountain.

The mountain is closed until further notice.

Quote:
Wednesday, February 8th. 2:30 PM UPDATE After receiving updates throughout the day from Lower Valley Energy and assessing resources in Teton Village, JHMR is unable to re-open for the weekend, and the earliest targeted open date at this time is Monday, February 13th. Safety is the first concern, and JHMR is asking for only specific operational staff to come to Teton Village through the weekend. There is also the request for no unnecessary travel to Teton Village through the weekend as another winter storm approaches. Currently Lower Valley Energy has crews working around the clock to reconstruct the power poles. JHMR would like to remind locals that there is no uphill travel at this time, and JHMR is seriously enforcing this policy and asks everyone to stay off the mountain during this incident. The Ticket Office will not open today for refunds, guests are asked to keep tickets and refunds will be managed as soon as possible. JHMR will continue to update with information as it is available on jacksonhole.com and on social media channels. Airline partners, United Airlines, Delta and American Airlines, due to winter weather impacts, they are issuing travel wavers for customers in Jackson Hole. Please contact your airline for details.

10:40 AM UPDATE Due to a massive wind storm last night, a significant number of power poles along Highway 390 were blown down, causing Teton Village to lose power. This power outage is being addressed by Lower Valley Energy, but the significance of this damage will be impacting Teton Village for up to seven days. Jackson Hole Mountain Resort (JHMR) will not be operating until further notice. All events scheduled for this week and weekend will be canceled, specifically Skijoring and Special Olympics. Safety is the first concern for JHMR visitors and staff, and JHMR is asking for only specific operational staff come to Teton Village today and request that no unnecessary travel to Teton Village is in effect until further notice. With another weather system coming into the area tonight, there is a winter storm watch in effect for the higher elevations. Warming temperatures could result in possible flooding in the valley, making conditions challenging for many reasons. JHMR is seriously enforcing no uphill travel this week and asks everyone to stay off the mountain. JHMR will be issuing refunds for all visitors, but at this time, we do not have a location to process those refunds. Updates on operations and incident information will be updated as they come in on this page. Teton Village Fire Department will be providing emergency services throughout this incident, and will be updating hotels and businesses as information comes in. The Jackson Hole Chamber of Commerce and Jackson Hole Central Reservation will be assisting with lodging and travel options for displaced guests.

7AM Due to unforseen events from last nights storm Teton Village has been left without power. As a result, Jackson Hole Mountain Resort WILL NOT BE IN OPERATION THIS MORNING. We are working hard to resolve the problem and apologize for any inconvience this may cause. We will keep you posted on our operating status as events unfold. We thank you for your patience and understanding with this situation. Please stay tuned for operating status updates at Jacksonhole.com -MB
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well it is the wild west. Some of the weather in N America puts Euro stuff into the minor leagues. Could have a big impact on bizness if not fixed ahead of Presidents Weekend ( unless Merkins have decided not to celebrate that given the current jackass)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks impressive

Jackson Hole Down from Lance Koudele
https://vimeo.com/203174995#share
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jesus Shocked

Must be completely s**** for (in particular) any Transatlantic travellers who've spent a fortune on flights and digs - which won't exactly come cheap out there....Nightmare situation.

And don't you just hate the nonsensical and condescending
Quote:
'We thank you for your patience'
Er, what's the alternative Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

what's the alternative

"We thank you for not looting"
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not that crap. Targhee is not far away and excellent skiing and there is lots of other great stuff to do from snowmobiling to Yelliwstone tours.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Not that crap. Targhee is not far away and excellent skiing and there is lots of other great stuff to do from snowmobiling to Yellowstone tours.

True about Targhee, but due to local road conditions there's very limited travel outside of Jackson - heard from a friend who lives there - 'driving is like through an igloo'.

He's never seen as much snow there as this year. They are skiing at Snow King as that's the only available place Smile Which although is steep isn't much.

Other stuff to do if you can get to it. The problem is there's no power to Teton village so if people are staying there they need to be moved.

But it will be a great day when it reopens - every cloud etc. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
there is lots of other great stuff to do from snowmobiling to Yellowstone
No doubt - but JH is on my to do list and if I book to go there, I'll be booking because of the skiing....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's plenty of snowmobiling, xcountry, snowshoeing, sightseeing in the local . . . just have a different holiday . . . FFS learn to skin up and slide down, just like yer grandpa had to . . . you'll lose that yard of lard round yer middle the missus (insert partner of choice here) has been nagging you about Twisted Evil
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Over the past two weeks Colorado and other regions to the north have received some significant wind storms........... One very significant storm out in Colorado Springs ("America's daguerreotype" as I have dubbed it) saw one day with constant 100kph - 160kph (yes, THAT much) winds that have manifested massive damage. Earlier today we received word that DIA (el aeropuerto) was fully shut down to winds, as was a good section of the I-70 Autobon bon. The central west of which Wyoming is v. much a part is no stranger to weather and this year has been especially rough with winds..............
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can't say i've ever wanted to ski there. The US is more and more resembling a third World broken country.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And don't you just hate the nonsensical and condescending 'We thank you for your patience'...
No. They mean: "it's going to take a while, but it'll be quicker if you don't get in the way".
In the UK we have very similar concepts which have been around for years - "thank you for driving carefully", for example.
--

I can't really imagine why anyone would want to ski snow which had been that wind hammered.

Anyone from the UK who's intrepid enough to get to Wyoming is fairly likely to be able to deal with what is after all a natural disaster. They're going to be grown ups.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am skiing in Summit County Colorado at the moment. The last couple of days have seen wind gusts in the 90 to 100 mph on the tops. Places like Breck have been unable to open the high lifts and the dreaded I 70 from Denver has had shut downs due to high sided vehicles being blown over. Apparently it is all due to the jet stream being further South then usual.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
emwmarine wrote:
Can't say i've ever wanted to ski there. The US is more and more resembling a third World broken country.

Well gee, no problem just don't come here, oh and you have a nice day !!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ditto. Don't come over. We'll ski the pow, you ski the corduroy in Euroland. Very Happy

Speaking of weather. The storms have been brutal when they come in and dump meters of snow every other week. So much snow in BC Canada and the Western USA. I've skied powder until my legs are ready to fall off. Finally got a short break of 5 days without powder. I almost forgot how to carve on corduroy! Razz

In any event I spent last week cleaning up my place after I took a direct hit of a tree falling on my house. My neighbor also has some damage courtesy of a few very large branches hitting his roof and car. Ouch!

Another series of storms are on their way into the USA. So WY is going to just get recovered before the next storm comes in. These storms won't be quite as nasty as that last one. But lots of fresh powder to shred. Probably enough for Euro starved folks who can put politics aside to ski. Or maybe just go to Japan...
ski holidays
Toadman, Just what we need, thanks regarding the next storm rolling in. Trip planned for BC commencing next week for around 18 days and you are forecasting more snow !!!! Do you think we will find any decent corduroy during the trip wink

Or is it going to be deep powder all the way Toofy Grin Fingers crossed at least Madeye-Smiley

From our last few years of skiing over there, the US hasn't looked anywhere near 3rd world to us, unless the 3rd world has improved dramatically.

Each to their own I suppose, as to what and where we like to ski Smile
snow report
100mph at 13,000 feet doesn't sound that windy To us ?

No doubt it's a lot by central Continental standards. All those wooden houses snowHead
ski holidays
La Rosiere on a calm day
snow report
@Bones

Looks like the first storms coming in early this week will favor Whistler/BC region. Could be anywhere from 30cm-50cm over the next 5 days. Not sure about later into the weekend. Those storms look to be favoring the California region. The storms out in FI that look to be coming in around Feb. 23/24 could hit anywhere at this juncture. But good chance you will be skiing powder during those 18 days.
latest report
Sister went to Mammoth over new year and what with Fog at Heathrow and High Winds over in USA only managed 2 days skiing from a 10 day break and that was all on Green Runs as that was the only lifts open.

You pays you money and sometimes have problems. At least if you have booked a package or got good insurance you would be able to get the money back and cancel if they have closed completely.
latest report
Bones wrote:
Toadman,

From our last few years of skiing over there, the US hasn't looked anywhere near 3rd world to us, unless the 3rd world has improved dramatically.

Each to their own I suppose, as to what and where we like to ski Smile

Sorry I was thinking of the US being 3rd world in more general terms. With regard to lacking generally available health care, for example, and the probable need to have health care due to their strange attitude to firearms which gives them a very 3rd world homicide outlook.

"The U.S. has higher rates of homicides from guns than Pakistan. At 4.5 deaths per 100,000 people, the U.S. rates aren’t much lower than gun homicide rates in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (5.2 deaths per 100,000 people). Annually, the U.S. has about two fewer gun homicide deaths per 100,000 people than Iraq, which has 6.5 deaths per 100,000."
ski holidays
At least the US ski resorts have 2nd rate on mountain restaurants, and first world lift ticket, and accommodation prices. Just don't try and go skiing in South side Chicago, and you should be okay.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy