Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in the rain

Poster: A snowHead
Hello!

As the long term forecast is hinting at warmer temps and maybe a bit of rain I thought I'd try to prepare. It rained on one of our days skiing last year which is when we discovered our ski gear is not fully waterproof. We got soaked then froze as it got colder. It was a very mysrible afternoon.

I noticed the ski instructors wore big kind of waterproof overcoats over their ski jackets. They went all the way down to their knees or further. They looked like a fab idea. Is there anything out there like this that's affordable? Googling just brings up ski wear that claimes to be waterproof. I don't want to buy new ski stuff for the 4 of us just yet.

Any other advice for skiing in the rain??

Thank you!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@breeze11, The long coats that instructors wear are quite expensive. Why not look for a cheap cagoul in a really large size at an outdoor shop in the UK.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A good goretex shell jacket will work and can also be used in all conditions but not a cheap solution for a one-off in case it rains. Perhaps get some merino base layers instead which will keep you warm if you are wet and you can also use waterproofing spray on your existing kit.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think @rjs is spot on - a cheap cagoul (and similar trousers) weighs nothing and will add a water and wind proof layer on top of your standard jacket. It might not be very breathable but I doubt you'd notice.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rjs that's inspired! How didn't I think of that. Thank you. If the forecast doesn't improve for our week, that's exactly what I'll do! Thank you.

@ozboy I had a lovely gortex ski jacket for many years before this one and will most definitely go that way again next time. I just had a momentary lapse when I got my current jacket and went for fashion. That'll teach me!

@kieranm thank you. I will try our current waterproof trousers on over our salopettes and see if that works. And i agree, I'd have happily swapped soaked to the skin and frozen for not breathable last year.

Thanks all!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@kieranm, The instructor coats are not breathable either.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
https://www.google.co.uk/#tbm=shop&q=waterproof+poncho
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@breeze11, Motorcycle rain suits can be had for £40-50.......

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/71184?r=GS&gclid=CMuMvaCZg9ICFe-87QodrQ4IYQ
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alternatively you could try this...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/skiers-and-snowboarders-don-wetsuits-for-whistler-spoof-video-1.2953571

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
start apre early , around 7am
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/skiers-and-snowboarders-don-wetsuits-for-whistler-spoof-video-1.2953571

Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't bother - you can stick it out if it's big wet flakes generally but proper rain is pointless punishing yourself in. Also be prepared that if it subsequently freezes after rain then there will be a nasty raincrust everywhere rendering most offpiste undesirable and pistes distinctly rattley.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Dave of the Marmottes,
I concur having braved it many times , always something you have always wanted to do in the area but are too busy skiing, go do that instead.
I learnt my lesson taking the kids out with me , they are more astute about what is considered fun and arent long repeating that all morning long Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Simply swap your ski poles for 2 golf umbrellas...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

long term forecast is hinting at warmer temps and maybe a bit of rain

What forecasts and for where?

Also, long term = 3 days...
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

long term forecast is hinting at warmer temps and maybe a bit of rain

What forecasts and for where?

Also, long term = 3 days...

Ah yes, I've been waiting to get picked up on this. I realise 10 days away can't be relied upon, but I thought I'd just get some ideas just incase.
ski holidays
SlipnSlide wrote:

Very Happy

Well we do have wetsuits!
Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Don't bother - you can stick it out if it's big wet flakes generally but proper rain is pointless punishing yourself in. Also be prepared that if it subsequently freezes after rain then there will be a nasty raincrust everywhere rendering most offpiste undesirable and pistes distinctly rattley.

You are right of course, but when we only have 6 days out there each year it's really hard to not get out in all conditions. We did call it a day early though. Lovely afternoon in the apartment drinking hot choc in the warm and watching it turn to snow.
latest report
hawkwind wrote:

Ah they were the (pre children) days......
latest report

Often though it's only rain at a certain level and higher up it's snow, which in turn is great to ski. So you may just have to endure rain at the bottom of runs. It's one of the reasons we take note of how waterproof is before buying.
snow conditions
A lot of "ski" specific kit is not very waterproof, being one of the reason why I switched to a hard shell and layering 20 years ago (as I was skiing a lot based out of Morzine at the time and rain was not an unknown...)
ski holidays
hawkwind wrote:

Straight up. Skiing in the rain is one of the most miserable experiences. Sad
snow conditions
We had quite a bit of rain in Feldberg last year. The kids were miserable, I was in Gore-Tex Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Layne wrote:

Often though it's only rain at a certain level and higher up it's snow, which in turn is great to ski. So you may just have to endure rain at the bottom of runs. It's one of the reasons we take note of how waterproof is before buying.

The first time I skied the Ski Welt it was blizzard conditions up the top of Soll, so I went down lower and got drenched. Back to the hotel for some of that early Apres (actually I think I got changed and went back out again).
latest report
@breeze11, and wher was the forecast for?
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@breeze11, and wher was the forecast for?

Morillon. It would probably be snow higher up but it's a long wet chair lift ride to get to it! Very Happy

Fingers crossed it won't even happen.
latest report
Apparently some skiers in Australia don garbage bags for rain skiing. We're a stylish bunch Very Happy
snow conditions
I've skied in Canada in proper Pineapple Express conditions and the lifties were handing these out for free at the lift base

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231272555174

Only lasted a day but kept the worst off.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bigtuboflard, many moons ago at WB, lol.
latest report
BCjohnny wrote:
yep it was a long time ago, 2000 I think but it was at Fernie not WB, thought I'd avoid the rain heading that far east but obviously not!
snow report
As a few have said rain often turns to snow as you go up the first lift. Pick a gondola rather than a chair if you have a choice.

If wet in Chatel I park at Linga (1100m) with a gondola rather than Pre La Joux (1300m) which only has chairs. Then stay high.

Other tip is put everything on (especially goggles) and then leave it alone. Constant on and off causes much sogginess and steaming up!
ski holidays
bigtuboflard wrote:
BCjohnny wrote:
yep it was a long time ago, 2000 I think but it was at Fernie not WB, thought I'd avoid the rain heading that far east but obviously not!

Whistler is usually OK as though I trains frequently at village/valley level it's usually OK above Red chair. Fernie can definitely get top to bottom rain. I remember one day when I donned the plasy cape rode one chair up , skied down to confirm it was shite and went to pick up my mate in the lodge then back to guest services to get a raincheck on the pass.
ski holidays
breeze11 wrote:
... Any other advice for skiing in the rain??

Well:
  • Try to avoid it. The locals will.
  • Decent GoreTex gear eg Burton AK works fine
  • If you have a choice, stay above it
  • It's probably more fun on a snowboard (although I could say that about anything
  • Dry slopes are way better in the rain
  • "Rain events" trash powder pretty badly and can make it un-ridable.
  • If it's raining then there's an altitude where it's freezing rain, which is best avoided
snow conditions
Try not to ski fast into oncoming cold rain. That's a mistake I won't make again... Skullie
snow report
The other points to consider:
1. Even if you are dry you still won't be able to see as your goggles will be covered in rain.
2. The most important and most difficult bit to keep dry is your bum. Every chairlift forces rain through your salopettes and even giretex struggles with that.
ski holidays
Salomon ClimaDry, perfect for the conditions, stretchy and comfortable, no Goretex rustle either. 10m waterproof and 10M3/h breathable

No-one yet has a solution for goggles, its exactly the same on a motor bike, bare face means you can see, but then the rain hurts. goggles/visor down and the rain on the surface and steaming means you can't see. Best bet is to never lift goggles to keep inside dry to minimise steaming
snow conditions
madmole wrote:
No-one yet has a solution for goggles, its exactly the same on a motor bike, bare face means you can see, but then the rain hurts. goggles/visor down and the rain on the surface and steaming means you can't see. Best bet is to never lift goggles to keep inside dry to minimise steaming

I wonder if Rain Clear on a cheap pair of Ski goggles would work.

http://youtube.com/v/ReC9B8yoSVc
snow report
Tried it on glasses, goggles and visor, helps a lot but not perfect.

Rain X is also great on ski bases! cheap version of not wax
latest report
@foxtrotzulu, my bum doesn't get wet. But it gets cold(er)
latest report
Skiing in rain is absolutely fab. The slopes are not busy. Love it.

Make sure your gloves are waterproof though...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy