Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car thread: can I get by with RWD estate?

Poster: A snowHead
Currently have a merc e-class estate and wondering if it will be ok for driving to the alps long term or if i should reluctantly change to a 4x4?

Our situation is we will take ownership of a holiday apartment in Chatel this summer and plan to drive a couple of times a year during winter (xmas week and 1/2 term) and also in summer. The property is up a hill on a well maintained centrally located road which I reckon has a gradient of around 5-7pct for about 500 meters. Our route to the alps will probably take us through CH which involves going over the Juras(?) and the Morgins pass. We are a family of 4. Doubt very much we would need to drive once we arrive in resort as we are close to the super Chatel lift.

My options are to either change the car to a 4x4 fitted with all seasons (with winter marking) or stick with current car and run winter marked all-seasons (carrying good chains). I have only driven 16k miles in almost 4 years and current car still feels quite new and my intention was to run this car for many years. Changing the car at this time seems unnecessary as it will be expensive and provide less cargo space. I don't have space at home to properly store a full set of winter tyres.

Question: would i be able to get by with the proposed setup of e-class with winter marked all-seasons and chains or should I bite the bullet and get a new 4x4?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd say there's no need to get a new car unless you want one. For the limited number of times you'll hit problems it just doesn't seem necessary. Add to that if there is a problem with snow on the major roads you'd still get stuck, even with a 4 x 4, as everyone else will be blocking the roads.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 9-02-17 10:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Save your money, E class estate was made for this type of work. Just get your self on to ebay & buy an old set of wheels & put winter tyres on them, added benefit of keeping your good wheels nice as well.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
^^ This. Once drove a BMW 3 series to the Alps and vowed never again. Following year the hire car was a BMW 1 er which was the 'only one they had' but fitted with winter tyres. Opened my eyes to the effectiveness of winter tyres. And there are 4x4's and 4x4's , choose carefully or you will be no better off than in the Merc.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

https://twitter.com/gendarmerie
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Stick with the car, it sounds a good one anyway. Treating it to full winter tyres like @Jonny996, says would be another step up. If you only do 4K miles a year and are not a crazy speed merchant I would run them all year round. especially if you can get them to fit with your existing rims. Your tyres are likely to become unfit more through age related degradation than wear at those sort of mileages. It sounds as if you will always have some weight in the back, ie loaded with ski gear etc. when you meet snow so that will help with traction too. Whilst 4x4 s can be good and helpful I think they are well overrated, 50% of the time, ie going downhill they have little advantage, in fact some would say distinct disadvantages because of the, often, increased centre of gravity and weight. Buy your winter tyres this summer, usually some bargains about before all the lemmings go for them in November Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have an E Class estate and a place in the French Alps. Had a CLK before this one. Both have good winter tyres on and never had an issue. Even in 12" of snow the CLK was OK with no chains required-was like a snow plough Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We use my wifes skoda superb estate for trips to les Arcs. It has 4 wheel drive and to be honest have not noticed it ever being of use. If there is snow on the road we put snow chains on - which is a problem in its own right.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ozboy, If you are thinking of changing there is an E class All Terrain coming to the UK market in the Spring
http://www.whatcar.com/mercedes-benz/e-class-all-terrain/estate/review/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 for the Merc on winter tyres. I had one for three years, bought a set of wheels and tyres for winter use and it was brilliant. In fact they were more use in the UK where snow clearing is less effective, got me from Buxton to Lincoln once on snow all the way. It was also fun leaving a BMW behind going up Leadenham hill in snow, I'm sure he still doesn't know what happened.

I've actually still got the wheels (but not the car). I know you say you don't have much space, but if you find some, and yours is a W212 (2009-2016), maybe we can deal Smile the tyres are still on but only have about 4mm left which seems to be generally accepted as where they start to lose effectiveness.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just back from Val d in an e class estate. Had winter tyres on it and zero bother on the hard pack snow around the resort. Had chains as well but didn't need them. Will be going back in it in April. Was the comfiest of 4 cars I've driven to alps. ( grand Cherokee, grand voyager and xc90 being the others. ).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tnaks all for your very helpful replies. Think sticking with the estate is confirming what my head is telling me (the heart wants a new car).

Question regading winter tyres: I dont really have space to properly store a second set of tyres as I live in London an therefore would have the same set fitted for summer driving also to the Apls. What are general thoughts / real life experience of the All Season tyers (with M+S Winter Rating) over full blown dedicated winter tyres. Brands I have seen include Michelin Cross Climate, Goodyear Vector 4Seasons or Vredestain Quatrac 5. I plan to always carry chains.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Ozboy, Sometimes your friendly local tyre fitter will store your 'off' tyres for you.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ozboy, As you only drive around 4k miles a year how about putting on winter tyres and leaving them on all summer? They will last you 4 years and afterthat they should be replaced anyway as the compound gradually hardens. There will now be a flurry of replies saying they will wear out, not as good as summer tyres in summer yadda yadda yadda.

Once you have winter tyres you are unlikely to have a problem, if you do fit the chains.

We had front wheel drive and winter tyres on two Saab 9-5s for over 10 years and in all that time I fitted the chains once for a 20 yard section to get into our parking. I reckon RWD would have got us in without as it is steep uphill.

Now got a 4x4 Octavia Scout estate with winter tyres and it is brilliant.

On the route you'll be following to Chatel the bit through the Jura can be a challenge in a tough winter and if it is snowy the Pas de Morgins will be clogged with cars on summer tyres trying to get away with it. I'm sure you will be fine.

Enjoy Chatel when you get moved in and we should have a Snowheads meet up!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I fitted the Michelin Cross Climate tyres to my B-Class Merc and thought they were excellent - they do have a full winter rating (i.e. a snowflake) but they're a hybrid tyre. I also live in London doing generally limited mileage and ran them all year with no issues and (apparently) very little wear. I drove to Chamonix on them last Easter and they were superb in the wet on the autoroutes, definitely noticeably better than the previous summer tyres, I felt they dispersed the water better and there was no aquaplaning at all. It wasn't particularly cold or snowy in Cham though so I can't attest to their real winter performance although there's lots of good reviews and youtube videos of them driving up snowy slopes. If you follow the hype, they're a new type of hybrid in that they're winter tyres with some summer features as opposed to most hybrids which are the opposite and (according to Michelin) therefore more compromised - I believed it but didn't regret the purchase.

I have, however, since sold the B-Class and got a Disco (for load capacity and towing reasons), off to Cham again this Easter - a little less concerned about getting around town but a little more concerned about getting there in the first place! (and the cost of treble the amount of Diesel!!)
snow report
@DJL we are counting down the months until we get the keys and yes look forward to meeting you.

How are full blown winters for long summer motorway driving thorugn France in the summer heat and rain. Not too worried about tyre wear but safety (braking and handling) is important?
latest report
Quote:

Vredestain Quatrac

Have been running these on Land Rover Discovery for last 4 years - and have been fine. Good grip in alps when we have been in snow.
latest report
With winters on the Merc' you should have no problems. I drove a 3-series in southern Germany for 5 years going to the mountains every weekend and never had any problems. Just remember to drive sensible and it will be all fine.
snow conditions
Ozboy wrote:
Tnaks all for your very helpful replies. Think sticking with the estate is confirming what my head is telling me (the heart wants a new car).

Question regading winter tyres: I dont really have space to properly store a second set of tyres as I live in London an therefore would have the same set fitted for summer driving also to the Apls. What are general thoughts / real life experience of the All Season tyers (with M+S Winter Rating) over full blown dedicated winter tyres. Brands I have seen include Michelin Cross Climate, Goodyear Vector 4Seasons or Vredestain Quatrac 5. I plan to always carry chains.

I've run full winters all through summer with no problems, Pirelli sotozero S2. I'll be swapping them after the April trip though, summers are still in the garage at home. Just want to be able to get next season in the Alps out of this year's winters as well.
snow conditions
@endoman, Me too, and no wear issues over what I would expect on summers.

Cross Climates are NOT winters, and as ever a compromise. I wouldnt bother with CC for the Alps, yes better than summers, but not as good as winters.
snow conditions
Just checked with my local tyre dealer and they are happy to store tyres not in use for £10 / tyre / year + fitting costs to change over.
snow conditions
In the snow given the choice of driving the C-Class on Full Winters or the X3 (X-Drive) on some half way house I take the Merc every time, feels more "connected". during the summer when C Class in back in its' summer boots the X3 feels better!
ski holidays
@Philip1972, how do you define winter tyres? Cross climates have the right silica content and tread pattern and snowflake marker. What more should they have?
snow report
currently running vredestein quatrac 5 on my disco had wintrac extremes on before, did 23k on them used all year round both very impressive tyre's although the quatrac is more of an all season tyre but still carries the snowflake/mountain logo.
ski holidays
@welshskier, Good articles here http://www.evo.co.uk/features/15600/michelin-cross-climate-vs-winter-and-all-season-tyres

http://www.wintertyres-yorkshire.co.uk/michelin-crossclimate-tyres/

Quote "For consumers who frequently face snow and ice conditions, Michelin still recommends using winter tyres which are designed to have optimal all-around performance in snow and ice conditions"

It is of course horses for courses, but I think we can see that CC are not a full winter.
ski holidays
I have run full winters all year round for 3 years.

Never ever had a problem in the summer, they are just like tyres!
No, they don't wear out really quickly either.
Yes, they are remarkable in the winter if there is ice or snow.
snow report
If you potter around winter tyres are fine. It's only if you are driving "enthusiastically" are you going to find the (lower) limits. Obviously if you live somewhere hot there will be issues as 7c is the point where performance drops off.
snow report
Only issue with running year round is to avoid getting to autumn with 3 mm left - too much to chuck out, too little for effective performance in the snow.

I assess my winter tyres come spring and if they are getting too low (under 4mm) leave them on over the summer and then buy new in November. If over 4mm swap back to summers.

This is made easier by having two sets of wheels and space to store them, not so straight forward if you are stuck for space.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Leave winter tyres on my Merc ML all year round. As I did with my Jag before that, no discernible difference in the ML, there was a little more road noise in the Jag.
ski holidays
Links posted by @Philip1972, make a good case for the Cross Climate tyres.

Back to my original post snowHead have convinced me that my estate will do the job. Think I am leaning towards getting full winters for winter and having the local tyre shop (who is a Verderstein dealer) store my 'off' tyres for £40.

Thanks all Very Happy
latest report
It would would be unlikely you'd have any real problems when using it setup as you describe.

It wouldn't affect you if you are using the same rims for both tire types, but on some Mercedes you have to be careful if you take off alloy wheels and fit steel rims. The steel type have in the past used specific wheel bolts as they need to be shorter, the alloy bolts when used on steal rims have extended out of the back face of mounting hub, interfering with the brake caliper on some examples. The spare steel wheels will sometimes have their owned bolt set to cope with this eventuality.

This is purely anecdotal not advice; a friend based in Spain fitted to his front wheel drive Audi A4 some Michelin cross climate tires last summer as he then went to work in Scandinavia until recently. They quite impressed him with their range in varying conditions, didn't use chains at all as he doesn't have any.
ski holidays
ski3 wrote:

It wouldn't affect you if you are using the same rims for both tire types, but on some Mercedes you have to be careful if you take off alloy wheels and fit steel rims. The steel type have in the past used specific wheel bolts as they need to be shorter, the alloy bolts when used on steal rims have extended out of the back face of mounting hub, interfering with the brake caliper on some examples. The spare steel wheels will sometimes have their owned bolt set to cope with this eventuality.

This is a common "issue" on many cars, even different pattern alloy wheels on the same model of car can require different bolts. Peugeots certainly have this and you need to be very careful and check that the thread length protruding out of the back of the rim is enough / not too much as appropriate and the bolt has the correct seating, ie some are tapered, some are flat. Some of the bolts are universal to fit the steel spare wheel, which leaves a "loose" washer, that looks strange but is OK.
snow report
It amuses me that the exceptional engineering that is projected through sales literature of some very expensive cars doesn't extend to coming up with a common fitment to cope with the eventuality of supplying a steel spare wheel. It would only take a bush on each wheel stud hole to make the same dimensions for all the wheels. As they supply sets of bolts in some cases as original, it seems odd that some lateral thinking didn't allow them to make a fail safe solution by engineering the spare wheel properly.

It's one of the first things they check if you return a lease / owned Mercedes or trade one in to a main dealer. They look to see if the calipers have not been trepanned by the wrong wheel studs. If they are you can get bumped a significant sum to replace the calipers and so bring the vehicle up to scratch.
snow conditions
I had an original Audi TT, the space saver went on fine, but the original wheel could not fit in the boot. Genius.
ski holidays
People seem to think 4 x4 are the answer to snow & ice. Wrong. Good WINTER not all season tyres are much more effective. As someone said. Pick up a set of rims, Scrapyard? and fit good WINTER tyres. Change them before you leave the UK and back when you return. In case of needing extra traction get SPIKES SPIDERS not chains. On in under 2 minutes and off in 1. Chains are so old hat and a pain in the a---.
latest report
I can vouch for Michelin Cross Climate tyres. Did a bit of research before fitting and they do get rave reviews.
snow report
Living in the UK, it doesn't make sense to run winter tyres all year round, as some have suggested, because they are less effective than summer tyres as the temperature rises. Most weeks of the years are better driven on summer tyres here.
snow conditions
I have these on my Subaru and have run the previous versions all year round (winters in Austria, summers in the UK). They were designed as a winter tyre but after testing marketed as all season due to a decent level of summer performance. I get 22,000 miles out of a set but for winter in Austria the legal tread depth is 4mm.

https://www.nokiantyres.com/winter-tyres/nokian-wr-a4/
latest report
@billb, I did a winter driving course with the TCS some years ago and the evidence was clear that winter tyres are vastly better in snow & ice, and still better when the temperature drops below 7C (as it often does in the UK) without snow. Their performance is only slightly worse in warmer weather in terms of braking distance and wear. I've driven winter tyres in the summer with no problem, but the new generation such as Cross Climates seem a good compromise.
snow report
@welshskier, well, yes, of course winter tyres are better below 7C and in snow and ice. I was trying to make the point that summer tyres are better when the temperature rises I.e. most weeks of the year in the UK, on average. So I find it odd that someone would choose to run winter tyres all year. Summer tyres are called summer tyres for a reason but actually they are easily "three season" tyres in most of the UK.

I've driven summer tyres all year with no problem. I've rarely had abs operating and when it did was probably on loose road surface.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy