Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine Lunch Costs

Poster: A snowHead
As a regular skier in Austria always with mates we only ever had a swift coke in a restaurant so to maximise slope time. Life moves on and now this years holiday is a trip to Morzine with the wife and daughters . We are in a catered chalet so breakfast, afternoon tea, and dinner are covered, as is a little wine in the evening , but obviously we will need to purchase meals and drinks on the mountain.
I'm calculating that lunch will be in the vicinity of the top of Plenney lift every day as they are in Ski school . My question is how much to budget for lunch. Im suggesting a spag bol & coke each - how much can I expect to pay per person ?
Also any recommendations on mountain restaurants on Morzine/Les Gets slopes ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just bring a ham sandwich and buy some chips and a few cokes to go with it but only if your ghastly
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@holte43, one of our favourites is the Creperie Atray, run by Nathalie and Ivan on the Morzine side. Been going there for years. It is right beside the Atray lift. There are various routes to get there. Lovely omelettes, traditional local dishes, and a crepe menu, cheese/ham, followed by crepe sucre and a drink, up to 3.30 euros, which I think is around 12.50 euros, just to give you an idea.
If you go over to Les Gets there are around five places to eat at the base of the Chavannes. The Croix Blanche and Grand Cry see us quite a bit when we have family and friends staying.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another vote for Creperie Atray.
Lots of the PDS cafes seem to do savory crepes, which are a good compromise between a plate of chips or a full meal, and cheaper too.
Don't remember being too impressed by any of the options actually at the top of Pleney, and whilst the Vaffieu a bit further on is lovely, it's not your quick, cheap lunch stop. I remember ending up in there one summer when we'd gone up Pleney to have a quick lunch and then go for a walk - when they brought out aperitifs while we ordered we realised the plan was going to have to change, and a long while later we needed a really long walk to walk the lunch off!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi this might or might not help but we have skied in Morzine 3 times in a catered chalet and always take £500-£600 spending money. That has covered middle of the road lunches for 4 (maybe the kids sharing a lunch), always an alcoholic beverage for the adults and non alcohol for the kids, plus hot choc stops in the day. Also a meal out one night of the week which will around £100 and paying for the honestly bar. Think Euro was around 1.2 ish for the other trips. We are a family of 4. We drink a fair bit too! I do believe some of the trips the chalet made packed lunches for 5 euros each so you could ask if they will do that. To be honest I don't know how we did it for that money but the kids were smaller and had smaller appetites!

Hope that helps.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We are just back from Morzine in Jan. The big cafe at the top of the Pleney lift serves main dishes at about 10-20€, I think soup was about 8-10€ and drinks - coffees were about 4€. There is a picnic area inside where you can eat your packed lunch if you wanted /could pack your own. There were plenty of places but they were pretty expensive on the whole.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
About 20euro pp i'd say.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And check out the 'Plat du jour' - normally very good value
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Avoid the self-service restaurant at the top of the Pleney - it's not especially cheap and been terrible every time I've eaten there! Either take the gondola down in to town where things are cheaper/there's more choice) or the place along the end of the 'flat' chair from the top of the Pleney (Belvedere?).

Cost-wise it's France so you're usually talking from 20Euro pp including drinks, though check the menu before ordering as there's a few that will try to charge you 20Euro for a large Coke.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
as an experienced budget conscious family skier i would rarely contemplate paying mountain prices - they are as scary as wuote above. packed lunches are the way forward - you can buy ingredients baguette ham cheese crisps choc drinks etc in one of the supermarkets shove in a rucksack which i used to leave in a slopeside parked car but in your case you may need to keep at chalet or in a locker at the ski hire place or bottom of big lifts. bring a flask for coffee or tea and pursuade your host to fill it. find a spot anywhere high up in the sun with views or you may find public dining rooms under lifts (thats what french families do) and feed the whole family for 20 eur/day rather than blowing 600 eur on lunch alone - that could almost pay for a long ski weekend away away without the kids, on snow coach!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Although if it's just me I'm often happy to have a packed lunch, when I'm with my kids I'd do as the original poster asked and take them out for lunch somewhere. For them going to the restaurants and cafes and getting something nice is a significant part of the holiday. If they are completely shattered after the morning in ski school the other option is take them back to the apartment for lunch so they can properly relax and recover, but again if you're staying in a chalet that might not be an option.

As to the original question, in Morzine on my trip last month I would generally be spending around 15 Euro at lunch for one course and a drink, though that was more in the Ardent sector than Pleney. I was with others who new the resort well though so were able to pick good places to go.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you venture to Chatel just ensure you avoid Chez Babeth. Incredibly rude owner and far from cheap, some say it's quaint........maybe being insulted to your face is quaint to some?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
id say 20€. We average 30€ with wine and coffee.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone for the replies , we fly out Saturday and plan to eat at Belvedere on the Sunday then see how we progress, but i think i might try and find an extra few Euro's as its not cheap . I fancy the Crepes in Les Gets if we can get back to Pleney in time after lunch for the afternoon ski school meet. i don't think we will get as far as Chatel so Chez Babeth is off our radar. Just looking forward to some quality time with family and friends with getting then kids improving their skiing.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Top of Pleney->Les Gets->eating->top of Pleney in an hour is probably pushing it.

Easy to get the Pleney down to Morzine and back and plenty of food options for all wallets.
ski holidays
Gordon Bennett. Think I'll stick to Austria!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy