Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiis for shorter & lighter women

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there, I need some serious help.
I am 24 yrs old weigh 105lbs (47kg) and am 5'1'' (155 cm) tall. I have been skiing for about 5 years and always rent/hire skis. I can finally afford to buy my own pair this year and need some help! I am a very good skiier, not quite an expert, maybe in a few more years...
I am having a hard time deciding which length is proper for me. Some shops say 155cm, 150cm and others say 160cm. Also, I am having a hard time choosing a ski.
I would love any bits of help!!!
Thank you in advance,
Elizabeth in Florida. yes Florida!
=)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In most modern carvers I would have though 150s were more than long enough? Most skis I've tried recently say anywhere between 15 and 5cm shorter than your height so that would put you at anything from 140-150? As you are light too I guess that the shorter ones will be a bit more suitable? aj xx
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SkiBabeUSF, although a wee(!) bit heavier than you, I am the same height and ski on 150cm Rossignols, Linds , another SnowHead of petite stature, had some 146cm when we were in les Deux Alps in the autumn, I think it will probably depend on the ski you choose, what would you like to buy?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SkiBabeUSF, Why would you ski 160s? If you are 155 then 150 would be plenty, even shorter if you get a race ski. 155 is the length for women's WC slalom skis - but I don't think any of the women in the WC are less than 165 at least.

Finnbob has just bought new skis at 142, and shes about the same size as you - she's a 10-12 week skier, and finds a huge difference to skis her own height.

I ski 10cms shorter than myself in a race ski and about eyebrow height in a non-race ski - no problem with this at all. (BTW I ski 30 weeks a year). Shocked
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
humm, well I'm looking both the Salomon Siam 7 and 10. And also the Salomon Rush 10. http://www.salomonski.com/us/products/products.asp?s=0&id=784423 (this one comes in 144cm & 154cm), and the other model... http://www.salomonski.com/us/products/products.asp?s=0&id=784431 (this one comes in 149cm and 158cm. Finally the 3rd one is the Salomon Rush 10....http://www.salomonski.com/us/products/products.asp?s=3&id=784475 (146cm and 154cm)

Frankly, I don't know what the heck the difference is between "carver ski" and "all mountain ski." I ski all over the mountain and carve too! So what is the difference, really?

I want to purchase a ski that I know will last me a few years...one that will grow with me as I graduate from advanced to expert. And also, one that is pretty versatile in that I go to Argentina in the summer (above tree line), and go out West to Colorado and Utah (groomed or powder) in the winter. In Argentina the trails are more rugged than in N.America. So i guess I need a ski that can handle both!

Thanks to everyone for the advice. In the USA, it's all about trying to get the largest amout of money out of you and I'm not a fool (just ignortant in regards to ski shopping)!!!
=)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm 5ft tall and 50kg and until last week used Salomon Womens XScream 152cm. Prior to buying them three years ago every rental place put me on 160s and I really struggled. My skiing improved with them but last week in LDA easiski suggested I tried some 142cm. I hired a pair of Volkl S1 Unlimited 142cm unisex skis and was astounded at the difference they made. Suddenly life on the slopes really was fun. I found it easier to edge and the firmer nature of the unisex skis made them more controllable. So I bought a pair and I'm happy ever after!! They are an intermediates ski so you may be looking for something more advanced but definitely go with a shorter length say I.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SkiBabeUSF, my wife is a similar height to you and very slight, she skis on Rossignol saphirs at 140cms and loves them, they were apparently especially made for women, Dynastar also have a lady specific range of skis, I'd echo the advice already given, go shorter.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OT i know, but just astonished!

finnbob, 160s! I'm 6'1 tall. I skiied 161 Volkl allstars today and it was pretty much fine (as well as 165 Atomic sl-11s)!

Don't be afraid for a short ski, especially fairly short radius skis like the ones I used can be skiied short...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My wife is of similar dimensions and ski ability to you. Earlier this year she bought some K2 Lotta Luv 153 in length and she really likes them.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If I were you I would buy Atomic SX 10 skis, I am 173cms and I ski on 150cms, they are fast and wonderful! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
aseeto, just to confirm aseetos wife is a good skier. K2 Luv range are very good skis, Mrs P loves her Phat Luvs...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SkiBabeUSF, You should try every suitable ski you can in length 145 - 150 (ish). I would be careful about going for women's skis unless you get a performance one as you say you want to progress with them. There are now one or two models (I believe) that are quite "performant" but check first. finnbob,s skis were floppy and didn't help her at all, apart from being too long!

The point is always try before you buy. You can't tell which ski will suit you without skiing it first. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy