Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip Report - Sauze d'Oulx - 28.01.17 - 04.02.2017

Poster: A snowHead
Resort: Sauze d'Oulx
Domain: Via Lattea (Milky way)
Author: Letsgetpiste

Date: 28.01.2017 - 04.02.2017
Our holiday: A party of 4 - Age ranges mid 20's to mid 50's - 3 intermediates and 1 relative beginner - 3 travelling from Dublin, 1 travelling from Birmingham (me)

Website (Useful Links) :
www.vialattea.it Lift pass information / Lift opening schedules / Piste opening schedules (Very useful)
www.sauzedoulx.net Local tourist board site
www.sauzeonline.com Local self styled tour operator. James is a host of info and offers a site to centralise a lot of the moving parts of a DIY trip to Sauze (or surrounding areas) His weekly snow reports on YouTube are the source of much reassurance!

Resort Basics :
wikipedia wrote:
Sauze d'Oulx is a town and comune in the province of Turin, Piedmont (northern italy) located 80 kilometres from Turin in the Val di Susa, at the foot of Monte Genevris (2,536 m).
It was the site of the freestyle skiing events of the 2006 Olympic Winter Games. Together with the villages of Pragelato, Sestriere, Claviere, Cesana Torinese, San Sicario and Montgenèvre, in France, it makes up the Via Lattea (Milky Way) skiing area.

Resort: 1350m
Mid station: 2135m (Sportinia - area of numerous restaurants and hotels)
Highest Point: 2650m

Sauze is 97km from Turin airport. We organised a private transfer (highly recommended) through "Sauzeonline" which cost £150 each way. The driver met us in the arrival area and had us on the road inside 5 minutes. The journey takes approximately 60 minutes and the driver can drop you direct to the door.
The return journey took 62 minutes despite a 20km stretch of snowy roads!
(note: Larger coaches are not allowed into the town and must stop below it - get out and walk)

Lift system : Sauze is shy of a bit of investment and the only Gondola is a link to another resort (Sauze to Sestriere).
That said, I enjoy the larch lined ski lifts over sardine tin steam rooms!! The important lifts are geared but there are a few ungeared slow lifts that are in need of an update.
From the top of the Sauze resort, it is possible to ski directly into both Sestriere and San Siccario. The resorts of Claviere and Montgenevre are probably easier to reach by car, but they can be reached by ski, albeit a long old day!

The terrain : Sportinia @2135m is the hub of the Sauze d'oulx ski area. All the ski schools begin here. 2 nursery slopes are seved by magic carpet lifts. The lift "Rocce Nero" takes you to the top of Red 11 and gives you access to "The Bowl" or the route to the links to Sestriere and San Sicarrio.
The terrain lends itself to intermediate skiers with the occasional black slope to stretch you. Really nothing steep of note.
Blue slopes weave their way through the woody areas and cross the odd steeper piste in an effort to create a more gradual gradient. The steeper red slopes are wide and offer easy improvement opportunities for less experienced skiers.

Slopes of note:
Red 11 from the top of Rocce Nero back towards Sportinia is a wide fast stretch that will be enjoyed by all who just let their skis run!
Stay right at the bottom of Red 11 Alta and head towards Clotes for some beautiful tree lined reds (Red 29 Red 2000) I wouldn't bother skiing past the top of the clotes lift unless you are intending to ski into resort at the end of the day. The skiing past here is less enjoyable and frequently gets icy at the end of the day.
The Bowl offers a great selection of fast wide reds
"Olimpica" the black slope into San Siccario is beautiful first thing on a cold morning. Trust your edges and you'll hit the bottom with a big grin on your face!

The snow : We arrived in the middle of a little dump which topped up the pistes nicely and the week was interspersed with blue skies and occasional cloud. Piste conditions were spot on all the way from top to bottom! Some lower pistes on warmer days got a little icy at the end of the day but nothing of real concern. The second last day gave us 12 hours of snowfall starting at lunchtime. By morning of the final day... blue skies and WOW/POW.

Off-piste : (*disclaimer: Only ski off piste with a guide / correct equipment and as required by local laws)
I can really see why people travel to Sauze d'Oulx when powder days arrive!! Some of the best off piste was available in the bowl where the snow was silent, fluffy and above the knee!
There are also some great off piste opportunities to the right of Red 11
The tree lines lower down were topped up with maybe 8-10cms of fresh but still very hard underneath so caution required!

The resort : Sauze d'Oulx is not the beer guzzling apres session it was once considered to be. It has become very popular with families and being only an hour away from Turin, the town is always pleasantly filled with Italians! It's calmed down... if you havn't been in 20 years... give it another go!

Bars:

The Village: Always someone outside offering "Free Beer" tokens. This entitles you to a free half which you can upgrade to a large beer for €2. It's pretty massive inside and as a result is often frequented by tour operators but finding somewhere to sit isn't that difficult. Free peanuts on the table (still in shells) offer a bit of a snack to sustain you after a hard day on the slopes! (worth noting for severe peanut allergies though...)

Ghost Bar: Got to be the most popular apres spot in the town! Heaving by 4pm it didn't suit my group as we were getting off the mountain at about 4:30/4:45... nonetheless, if you do get in, free shots are available, the service is excellent and friendly, and the freebie bread and meats are some of the best!!

Sports Cafe: Formerly "Paddy McGintys", the sports bar is a new addition for this season. It's empty. There were no sports. The food offering appeared weak and the staff came across as wholly uninterested. Best avoided.

Miravallinos: Run by english people and full of english speaking punters... it was good craic though! Friendly staff and beer pitchers for €10. Free grub on the bar every evening. I grabbed a bowl of pasta one night for €7 and it was spot on. Free WiFi

Scacco Matto: Feels like it hasn't been changed since the mid 70's, they mean well andwill do their best to make you feel at home. Picking up a pint for €3.50 at about 4:30 (I think there was a happy hour) isn't bad. We only nipped in here the once to watch a ski school video that our beginner was starring in! Smile

Food :

On the Mountain:

Capanna Kind in Sportinia - They welcome my family with open arms every time we return to Sauze! Easily accessible for skiers of all abilities and pedestrians! The food is great and affordable. Lasagne, bowl of chips, bottle of water & a glass of wine for about €10...

Soleil Boeuf in San Sicarrio - At the bottom Olimpica / Red 21 Alta (cut left) / Red 19 Bassa / Red 76 - Great spot overlooking the San Sicarrio valley. Food and wine available for all budgets in a beautiful setting.

Cicci's: Mid station Jovencaux lift - reputed to be the best hot chocolate on the mountain - I had a glass of wine, but the others seemed happy!!

In Resort:

Sugo's: A little pasta restaurant in the old town. This restaurant became the darling of our group as one of the girls is gluten intolerant. Spaghetti, Fettucine and Penne pasta were available gluten free as well as a gluten free alternative to breadsticks. Every dish was outstanding. My brother and his partner ate there nearly every night and on the biggest splash out, only managed to spend €36. It's an absolute must.

L'Assietta: Popular with the locals, it's well worth booking a table particularly over the weekend. Great pizza but the menu goes much much further than that and offers traditional Italian fare. Definitely a restaurant to drink wine, eat lots and talk!

Miravallino: Ate here once. A quick bowl of pasta for €7. It was grand! It's not gourmet food but dont avoid their menu. I watched my father devour a bowl of chicken wings here and seem suitably impressed!

La Chica Loca: I didn't eat in, but I grabbed a takeaway pizza late one night for €7 - lovely service and lovely pizza!

L'Ortiche: I've eaten here in previous trips and really enjoyed their offering... missed it this time. Looked the same, so I hope it's still top notch.

Pizza Slice Shop: Look, it serves a purpose I'm sure and it might suit some people, but It's massively overpriced. Don't be afraid to stick your head into a restaurant and ask for a takeaway pizza. It'll be 100% better and probably more than 100% cheaper!! (I don't eat pizza from here!!)

WiFi: WiFi is available in most restaurants and bars, however a free network spans all over Sportinia (bandablu?)
A real hotspot to note is at "La Sosta" just above the Clotes lift. If you sit close enough to the building, you can pick up the bars free LaSosta wifi which is lightning fast upload and download!!! (it was definitely worth its own mention!)

Accommodation : We booked our accomodation through www.holidayhomesinitaly.co.uk
Accomodation link here: Apartment 10 - 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, sleeps 6 people
We've stayed here before in a couple of different apartments. It's simple but functional and it suits our budget. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Costs: Roughly per person: Flights: £100, Transfer: £65, Accomodation (SC): £160, Equipment Hire: £70, Lift Pass: £160
Circa £550 per person + food and drinks! (this could be reduced by really filling up an apartment, but I try and avoid the sardine treatment if possible!)

Conclusion: Ski hire and accommodation is available at the Sportinia level of resort so not everything has to be done in the town. If you do hire equipment in resort, skis can be stored in Sportinia for €20pw in the Orso Bianco complex.

Fly early and organise a private transfer. It'll get you into resort before midday and on the slopes by lunch with no stress. It's an extra days skiing that I always try to chase!!

The local shops (carrefour) close at 7:30pm - dont get caught out while having a pint or you'll have to wait until morning!

A 1 litre carafe of wine usually costs €10 on the mountain - better value if you're skiing with a group of wine drinkers!

A great trip all round. Great snow, great weather, great resort. We'll be back again! I'll be back again! snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice report, not many TRs this season.

A resort to bear in mind for the future.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
great report @letsgetpiste, did you venture over to sestriere? and if so any similar info as we are out there in a couple of weeks.

cheers
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jesus, many thanks! TR's on here are a source of much of the information I use to travel so I feel its important I feed some info back into the mix!!

@addo1, I only spent a single morning over in Sestriere so I wouldn't like to comment too much! The pistes were in great condition and all but a couple of the chairlifts appeared to be operating. What chairlifts I used were well geared and queues were not a problem.
I spent no time in Sestriere as far as evening entertainment or restaurants are concerned. (sorry!)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for posting this. Great TR. I went there in 1999, so it seems to have changed a bit. We had a great time then and I would love to go back if only there were some flights from Bristol to Turin.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great report. Definitely whetted my appetite for a trip in early March.
May i ask your advice on some good slopes for a nervous beginner? She snowboards and so a nice, fairly gentle/wide piste is what i'm asking for.
Also, i've seen a few mentions of a new lift, any insight into that?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Seanyb74,
The new lift isn't operational yet... it's been postponed due to "bad weather". I think the definition of good and bad weather has some bearing on whether you're a snowsport lover or a lift constructor!! It's all hung and looks almost ready to go but I think testing still needs to take place. For those familiar with the resort, it's close to the drag lifts near the reservoir.

As far as wide gentle pistes are concerned, both of the nursery slopes in Sportinia will be grand for a couple of warm ups, but Sauze isn't renowned for an abundance of wide gentle slopes. Wide reds though will give your friend the opportunity to take the sting off any gradient with much wider turns. However... if you take red 11 Alta and stay right after approximately 100 metres, it fades off to a widish blue which ultimately loops back across the 11 Alta piste. Following this blue as it snakes through the woods will take you back to Sportinia. Blue 13 I think!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@EdYarker, Easyjet fly Sunday to Sunday from Bristol to Turin - Flights look like they'll cost you around the £100 mark and are at excellent times! The 10:00 arrival in Turin could have you on the slopes by 12:00!!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Top TR
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@letsgetpiste,

Excellent, thanks.

Perhaps gentle was the wrong word, judging by the videos I've seen the piste don't look too severe for the graded colours. She got a bit overwhelmed in Val D'isere and thinks all resorts are the same!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Seanyb74, relax... Italy is a whole different ball game! The grading is very relaxed!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nice, cheers.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi, I’m after a bit of advice. I understand that the only way back from Siestere to Sauze is via the blacks as the red and blue routes have been closed after a fatality a few weeks ago. I’m an intermediate skier who usually skis in France and prefers blues!, this is my first venture to Italy. I’d like know honestly how difficult, steep the two black runs into Sauze are? I’ve been told Canale Colo is easier than the other.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bunches, I was there last week and the black run being the only option was the case then. There is really only the number 25 run which has two entrances, one via a red path from the top of the gondola from Sestriere and the other directly from the gondola station.

IMO it is not as difficult as some blacks in France but of course this is condition dependant. The entrance via the red path has no narrow sections whereas the other entrance does have a slightly narrower section. Due to the lack of snow, it is obviously fairly hard and busier than it might otherwise be. If you are in Sauze, you can ski a blue or red down to the bottom of the Colo chair and if you don't like the look of the black under that chair, you can take the chair back to the Sauze side rather than the Colo chair towards Sestriere. From Sestriere, you can see the top section and a fair way down without committing from the top of the gondola.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you so much for replying. I don’t totally follow your directions. But, are you saying I can go up and have a look at that run, without having to do it? It’s good to know some of the red up there is accessible. I was told that black was the only option if we went over to seistere. I’m not a ‘blavk’ Skier and by choice would never do one, esp anything narrow. My husband keeps trying to convince me that meribel reds are the same as Italian blacks... I’m
Unconvinced! But equally feel awful that my skiing ability will trap us in sauze for the whole week, if I can’t do the run.

I’ve even considered finding out if you can call a Snowcat to collect me!!
snow conditions
@Bunches, I assume from you last post that you are staying in Sauze. In which case, you can ski to the bottom of the Charmonier chair via a red or blue run and can see part of the black run from Sestriere (from the bottom). Once there, you can take the Colo chair towards Sestriere but that commits you to returning via the black run or you can take the Charmonier chair back up to the top of the Sauze ski area.
snow report
Hi. I did the return yesterday and I wouldn't consider it black, more sttepish red. Definitely accessing via the red path to the left is the best. That part was quieter, wider and more consistent gradient. You soon end up on the lower red section. Alternatively I think crystal organise a collection from an apres bar in Sestriere on one night. Would that be of interest? I am sure they wouldn't be hugely bothered if none Crystal customers filled their transport? If so, look out for a rep
ski holidays
Thank you so much for your advice. That’s so so helpful. I might manage a tough red! We have to back to collect kids from ski school, so spree not an option for us! (Sadly) :0)

I’d love some other reviews of nice runs to take my children on, assuming I stay in the Sauze area

Thank you
ski holidays
How do you know from the map which chair is which, I’ve which one is Charmonier?

Thanks again
ski holidays
we went to sauze a coupe of years ago and drove. it took 14 hours, Cheshire to resort with eurotunnel. we took the frejus tunnel. Very easy drive.

I loved Sauze and would happily go back; as you say it is not a drunken party town anymore, w went at half term and it wan't particularly busy either!
snow conditions
@ Bunches:
We were in Sauze at new year (4th time there) - I'm not a 'black' skier, I'm very happy on any of the reds in Sauze/Sestriere etc, but I know they're 'easier' than French and Austrian reds. In my view, the black down from Fraiteve (Colo) is OK. It's very, very wide, and whilst you do get some speed up from the steepness of the slope, you can really use the width of the slope to get down. I would rather go down that run than blue 27 (one of the other ways down from the same place), which is clearly nowhere near as steep, but is narrow and has a rock face on one side and nothing (bar netting) on the other. The 'black' part of the run isn't that long - it turns into a really lovely red down into the bowl (my favourite area!).

The blues/reds were still open when we were there, but we still chose to go down the black.

The runs in San Sicarrio are really lovely - it would be a shame to go to Sauze and not ski there for a day at least. But it does mean you'll have to come down the black on the way home. If the conditions were better, I'd have suggested skiing one of the 2 very short blacks into Sportina, just to get your head round the fact that you're OK with the blacks in that resort, but the top section of those was very bare when we were there and with no new snow, I can't imagine the conditions are very nice on them now.

You can do what someone else suggested - ski down into the bowl (if you go down The Boulevard, you can stop at the lovely Barbasset for the best chocolate and almond cake on the mountain (IMHO) and you've got a good view of the black from there) and have a look at the run - if you really don't fancy it you can just take the lift on the right and go back into Sauze, but I'd say it's really worth giving it a go.

If you haven't skied Italy before, you're really in for a treat. The mountain restaurants are lovely (again IMHO) - look out for Ciccis (red 12 mid station) for fab, cheap wood fired pizza, Barbasset for lovely views (caution - there's only a drop toilet there!!), Soliel Beouf in San Sicario for great Focaccia, Capanna Kind (in Sportinia) for amazing value pasta/polenta/pizza, Ciao Pais (hidden in the woods, to the right of 2000) for the best Vin Brulee, and the new restaurant - La Marmotte for great views over red 11. Also the Scotch Bar (in hotel Stella Alpina, right at the bottom of the Clotes slope) for the first drink off the slope. Very family friendly and a lovely atmosphere at the end of the day.

Although there are some blue runs on the piste map, most of them are roads with a lot of flat sections. The exception is The Boulevard, which is a lovely run down into the bowl, and blue 11 (which means you can bypass a steep-ish bit of red, which is often very busy). Red 12 is pretty close to a blue I'd say (would definitely be blue in France), and is a lovely, lovely run. Often very quiet (I never understand why). I will NEVER tire of that particular run. The other reds are nicer than anything I've skied in France (limited to 3 weeks experience there though!)

If you're an intermediate skier, I reckon you will LOVE Sauze (and the linked resorts) - I hope you get some snow before you go (higher slopes will still be fine), and it's well worth following Sauze Online for his youtube videos to give you a flavour of what's what.

Enjoy!
snow report
What an amazing reply, thank you so much. It seems there is a great deal of snow in the forecast for next week and we only arrive on the 10th, so that could seriously change the landscape. Thank you, thank you. I’m going to brave it... my whole experience is France - meribel in particular - so I am really really looking forward to the more laid back Italian style. Thank you again for all the info.

Still can’t quite work the ski map out, but I’ll print out your instructions and see if I can plot it. How do you know which lift is which as the map dowsnr have lift names?
snow report
I'm so glad you're going to brave it! It will be worth it - and if you don't like it, you don't have to do it again!

I'm hopeless with the lift names, but it's very easy to find your way around. As a summary though:

From Sauze itself, you have 2 options to get up the mountain. From the bottom of the slope you can get the Clotes lift, from there you get straight on another lift. You have 2 options from there (I'll call this point A) - either down red/blue 11 will take you to Sportinia, or go left and straight on another lift takes you to the 'top' of Sauze. (point B).

The other option from town is to get the Sportinia chair (a short bus from the town), which takes you straight to Sportinia. That's the main 'plaza' with a few restaurants etc, and most runs come back to that place.

From Sportinia, there is a chair up to point B (top of Sauze).

Some nice runs to do are:
Red 12 (from point B) - see previous post! When we were there, you could only go as far as the mid point, but it may be open lower by now. Takes you to the Jovenceaux lift, which puts you back in Sportinia again.

Red 11 - either from point B (LOVELY top section from point B to point A) and then a steeper bit (but as wide as anything!) all the way back to Sauze (but get on the lift by the Bear bar, don't go all the way to town - you'll know it when you see it!)

From point A - red 2000 and red 29 are lovely tree lined runs. I think 2000 is a bit easier - one slightly steeper bit but again very wide.
Half way down 2000 there is a new chair (I think only open at weekends), but nice reds down from there back to 2000 again.

There's also Grand Pista (wasn't open at new year, but I hear it is now) - a nice long run again.

From point B, you go down into the bowl - either via a blue (Boulevard) or red. These reds (if they're both open - only one was at new year) are lovely.

From the bottom of the bowl, there are 2 choices - the lift on the right takes you back up to point B, and on the left (a 2 man chair) takes you up to Fraiteve - you'll see the big masts - ugly, but a useful landmark. From here you either have the black (Colo) back to the bottom of the bowl, or you can ski down to San Sicarrio, or get the gondola to Sestriere.

All the reds in San Sicarrio are fab. Nice long runs, lots of trees, and wide. You can just follow your nose in San Sicarrio - you can't go 'sideways' very much - all the runs just put you at the same lift at the bottom. Lovely stress-free skiing. We tackled the black Olympic run too (you don't have to - there are alternatives), and it was fine - just like a steepish French red.

If there is snow before you go, the ski down from Fraiteve to Sestriere is lovely. It takes you to the Borgota area, from where there are nice red runs. If that run still isn't open, you have to get the gondola, which puts you in a different place, and it takes a while to work your way over to Borgota. If you can't ski over to Sestriere, I'd be tempted to stick around Sauze and San Sicarrio as it just takes too long to get there otherwise (in my view).

I hope some of that makes sense with a piste map in hand. It really is an easy resort to work out once you're there - I have no sense of direction at all, and I can do it just fine.

The lifts will be slower than you're used to in France, but for me, it's more than made up for by there being fewer people and Italian mountain restaurants. We didn't eat a chip all week!

Where are you staying, incidentally?
snow report
We are lucky enough to be staying in Sportinia in orso bianco. Thank times a million for all this help. I used to knowing my way around the 3 valleys as I’ve been quite a few times.... so this really helps me get a sense of Sauze. I’ve printed an A3 version of the map and and am going to read it hand in hand with your directions tonight! I’m so excited to have a more laid back ski trip.... I’ve had enough of the intensity of France for a few years!

Thank you again
ski holidays
Wow - I'm very jealous. I'd love to stay at Orso Bianco (I always book last minute, and it's always full!) Have a great trip.
snow report
Which run are you referring to, that might not allow us to ski to Borgota? Presumably a different closed one to the one that’s closed because of the accident at the top of Fraiteve? (My understanding is both the blue and the red next to colo are closed because of the accident). But sounds like you are referring to a different run that might be closed?

Actually now I’ve read your descriptions carefully, I can really understand what to try out. I can’t tell you how much this means to me. I’m so happy to be armed with all this info!

Now praying for that dump of snow they’re predicting!
ski holidays
Which run are you referring to, that might not allow us to ski to Borgota? Presumably a different closed one to the one that’s closed because of the accident at the top of Fraiteve? (My understanding is both the blue and the red next to colo are closed because of the accident). But sounds like you are referring to a different run that might be closed?

Actually now I’ve read your descriptions carefully, I can really understand what to try out. I can’t tell you how much this means to me. I’m so happy to be armed with all this info!

Now praying for that dump of snow they’re predicting!
ski holidays
@Bunches, there's a long, winding, road of a blue run into Sestriere from the top of Fraiteve. I think that is what @WoottonBecs is referring to as being closed (rather than the scary, narrow blue path round the mountain top leading back into Sauze). If it is still closed the alternative is to get the gondola into the Sestriere area.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yes - that's exactly the run I meant! The long blue down to Borgota (Sestriere) was closed when we were there purely due to lack of snow. It's low (ish) and is mainly road, so I assume doesn't have cannons. Its closure is nothing to do with the accident/closure of the runs down towards Sauze.

You can get the gondola down to Sestriere, but you then have to go up and down a few times to work your way over to the Borgota area, which takes some time. Although the runs close to the gondola are nice, I wouldn't go over to Sestriere just for those - plenty of lovely runs to be had without going that far.

If you get the chance of a day in Montgenevre, it's nice over there - the tour operators all run a day trip, but I'm guessing you're not with one of the main tour ops if you're staying at Orso Bianco. I'm sure the reps would gladly take you on their bus though! (if you do go, remember you're back in France, and the grading is closer to 3V, rather than Italian grading!)
latest report
@Bunches - here you can see the blacks up close. I think James contradicts himself a bit in this film. During the film I get the impression he's trying to reassure people that the run is doable (he talks about how wide it is etc), but the subtitles at the end suggest otherwise! I wonder if he's just covering himself.

I still think it's no harder than a french red, and it is lovely and wide, with no drop at the side. Hopefully this serves to reassure you.
We only skied the second run he shows - I didn't realise you could access the other one from the top (there's a very long drag lift that I thought put you at the top of it). I want to go back now and ski the first one (and remember I'm NOT a black run skier).

Look how quiet it is too - this is what it was like at new year (a peak week). No-one to get in your way - you could take all day over it!

http://youtube.com/v/LyTK5_YzSUw
snow report
Ah thank you, I contacted Janes last week and he said he would do this. The first one looks easier than the second, though I’m sure he told me Canale colo was the easier of the too. It’s looks quite narrow to me. I will certainly give it a go. The worst that happens, is it takes a while!

I’m so grateful for all your advice. It’s just under two weeks until we arrive and looks like loads of snow on the way, so we could be very lucky indeed.

Out of interest, did you ski the two runs before they were closed? I read that they were quite tough anyway and that the blacks are preferable

Thanks again
snow conditions
I could share our footage of Canale Colo, which might reassure that it's possible to do slowly! James' is much better! I don't think it's narrow. But the other one certainly looks wider (from the lift). I can't imagine there's much in it - just personal preference. What I like about Canale Colo is that it's very easy to divide into smaller chunks (you have to turn right half way down), which just makes it feel very approachable.

We did ski the blue and reds (both on this year's trip, and in previous years). I don't mind the red bit, but I really don't like the blue it becomes - narrow road (so not at all steep), but rock face on one side and netting on the other. The junction where the red joins 2 blues (or carries on red) is horrible. I'd choose the blacks over the runs which are closed.
snow report
@Bunches,

The first one is definitely the easier of the two, its wider and enables you to put more turns in. Ive skied both but 25 Alta is the preference.
snow conditions
Have you seen the weather @Bunches?? It has dumped it down/is still dumping it down. Looks AMAZING. You'll have a ball - I'm so jealous!
ski holidays
@woottonbecs

I literally can't believe how lucky we are... I am watching it like an obsessive hawk and following all Sauze pages on facebook. I am not even bothered about the black, now that I am armed with all this info... thank you so much for everything
snow report
Let us know how you get on @Bunches!
latest report
I thought I had replied - but I can see I didn't! we had an absolute ball and loved skiing Sauze very much indeed. I didnt brave the two blacks at the top - as nu 11 under the main lift was steep enough for me, and decided I didnt need steeper than that. Though my 8 year old son managed it with ski school.

we carried out quite literally all of the suggestions and tried all the restaurants and top tips... it was utterly amazing! :0)
snow conditions
Heading out on Sunday... re-reading all of these posts has booted the excitement levels somewhat NehNeh
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy