Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season-long rent: Austria and Italy

Poster: A snowHead
In the car, on the way back from instructing at a dry slope today, we hit upon a plan to rent an apartment for three months or the whole season in Austria or Italy (definitely not France!)

However, we have no idea where to begin. So any advice/tips/experience from the Snowheads family would be very much appreciated. Thanks, in advance. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bumping this up again after no responses!!! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Both countries are comparatively difficult to find seasonal rentals in, the only real way is to be in resort and knock on doors!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@LOTA, why not France?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jonny996, simple, I much prefer Austria and Italy to France - sweeping generalisation, I know, but that's my preference.

Anyway, @marcellus, did some deeper research this lunchtime and found some very promising looking options in Kirchberg, in the Wildkogel region, in Innsbruck and elsewhere and Courmayeur and Aosta itself. A good start.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@LOTA, airbnb.co.uk plenty of options on there. Properties are heavily discounted for stays over a month long. Costs range for a 1 bed apartment from sub 750 euros per month to 2/3 grand per month. Are you looking to be based in a resort or in a valley town such as Saalfelden?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@AthersT, Thank you. Either a resort or a valley town - even Innsbruck or Aosta.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi LOTA ,
we are just back from a similar thing in Italy (Aosta)
As its a city thats linked to a ski resort it was easy to find accommodation through the local agents and of course AirBnB and HomeAway.
prices are roughly £1000PM all inclusive but of course you can find cheaper and much more expensive but you have a lot of choice depending on your needs.

Id just do your research and pick a place , book it and the flights and go for it Smile

Few considerations i found , nice to be near a few airports in case of a trip home and for friends family visiting.
I liked being out of resort as we experience the region and its people more.
Id take a car next time just to explore the area.
If you want more specific information on Aosta feel free to PM
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@marcellus, will drop a PM to see what you have in Aosta for next year Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@hawkwind, Thank you. The plan is to drive rather than fly so we can take skis, luggage, home comforts etc and be able to pick up visitors from Turin, Geneva, Salzburg, Innsbruck etc as well as visiting other resorts. Will PM you as and when the plan develops!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@LOTA,
yeah big mistake i made was not driving , the initial costs with ferry from Ireland , tolls fuel etc would of been offset with doing airport runs etc and taking away airport fees.
In fairness we didnt miss the car but i think you do need it.
Another valid consideration is parking , in towns in Italy it seems non existent! worth adding it to things you would like with the property
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@LOTA, Just did a quick search on Airbnb for Mid December to Mid April.

- An apartment in Bormio for £932 p/m https://goo.gl/8pxFuz (includes 60% monthly discount)
- An apartment in Mittenwald (German border region) for £634 p/m https://goo.gl/6wDg1P
- An apartment in Innsbruck for £979 p/m https://goo.gl/2TlgNX
- A house in Sauze for £788 p/m https://goo.gl/rzKmsb
- An apartment in Aosta for £809 p/m https://goo.gl/szKnPo

There looks to be loads to choose from - in resort in Italy seems to definitely be cheaper, the examples above are just the first ones I saw in those areas and are not necessarily the cheapest.

It's worth noting that Austria is definitely yet to catch up in terms of internet marketing, so once you contact the local resort tourist offices I reckon you will have lots of luck there too.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@AthersT, Thank you, this could be a long job looking through all the options. But fun, nonetheless! Thanks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@LOTA, The good thing is you have started early after the end of this season people will start booking for next and options will soon start to dry up.

FWIW, for me staying near/in a resort with good road and rail links would be essential. I would want the option to Apres Ski, meet people and become a "local" but still be able to travel to places easily for alternative skiing, airport lifts and cheap supermarkets.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@LOTA, am sure you will have a lot of frustrated snowheads to advise and assist you on your quest!!

if only i could persuade the other half to take a "gap year" i would be out like a shot, though what we would do with our 13 and 10 year old daughters for a season is beyond me (i wonder if grandparents will adopt for 4/5 months!!!)
latest report
Aosta query for you hawkwind: How did you manage a long stay without use of a car? We had a great 8 days skiing there (staying in Chatillon at the bottom of the Cervinia road) in January and found a car essential to make the most of the valley ski pass. Are the public transport options easily do-able?
snow report
@mountainaddict,
Stayed in aosta and took the gondola each day.
Never ever tired of skiing Pila each day.
The bus is a pain, never even bothered trying to lug the gear on but seen a few attempt it.
Only had Pila pass so suppose I was happy with my lot.
To be fair next year I'll take the car and get the full valley pass but for first part season I loved it and enjoyed not having the car for drinking procescco purposes!
snow conditions
Should mention the bus and train is dead easy for non skiing trips but looked a bit faffy for taking ski day trips although not impossible
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy