Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich airport to Hopfgarten

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're going to Hopfgarten in the Skiwelt in a few weeks, flying into Munich, and I'm now trying to sort the best way to get from Munich Airport to Hopfgarten. I'd been thinking of hiring a car, but can it be done easily by train (carrying skis), and if so how do I find out how much it costs and book it?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We did Munich to Hopfgarten in Feb a couple years ago, very easy by car. Parking in the village not a prob. Don't forget to buy a vignette at a services near the border. Can advise if you need accomm options.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skiwi 55 wrote:
We did Munich to Hopfgarten in Feb a couple years ago, very easy by car. Parking in the village not a prob. Don't forget to buy a vignette at a services near the border. Can advise if you need accomm options.

Thanks, did you bother with snow chains? We're going in March.
We've booked the Haus Lukas which will hopefully be good.
How did you find Hopfgarten? Was the skiing good?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sugarmoma666,
We're doing Ellmau from Munich by train at half term. It's the first time we've done it by train, but another family we meet there do it every year. I usually hire a car, but fed up with the scrum at the airport. Thinking is public transport will probably end up quicker as well as cheaper.

It was 81 Euro for 2 kids & 2 adults return to Kufstein on the train. Return taxi booked from the station to the hotel was about 100.

You can drive to Ellmau without a vignette so you must be able to do Hopfgarten as well, just come off the motorway the last junction inside Germany. Do a search here, I'm sure Samerberg Sue has posted the route.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
musher wrote:
@sugarmoma666,
We're doing Ellmau from Munich by train at half term. It's the first time we've done it by train, but another family we meet there do it every year. I usually hire a car, but fed up with the scrum at the airport. Thinking is public transport will probably end up quicker as well as cheaper.

It was 81 Euro for 2 kids & 2 adults return to Kufstein on the train. Return taxi booked from the station to the hotel was about 100.

You can drive to Ellmau without a vignette so you must be able to do Hopfgarten as well, just come off the motorway the last junction inside Germany. Do a search here, I'm sure Samerberg Sue has posted the route.

How did you book the trains? Is that using the Bayern Ticket on DBahn?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Apologies, it was actually 88 Euro. Booked online at:

https://www.bahn.com/

I think it was a Schoenes Wochenende ticket. That was what came up as the option when I did it, but I'm pretty sure a Bayern ticket does the same job.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
musher wrote:
@sugarmoma666,

Yes that's true, if you're staying put you can get to Skiwelt on the local roads so no need for a vignette. We did a couple day trips at St Anton so needed it for the motorways.

@sugarmoma666,

We found Hopfgarten as good a spot as any to get round the Skiwelt, quiet traditional village, the gondola is a 5 minute walk and takes you straight to the top of Hohe Salve so you're straight into the action. Good schnitzel at Gastof Traube and beers at the Rundell at the bottom of the home run, which unfortunately is also the village's achilles heel... west facing so gets the full brunt of the sun, so all slush and chop lower down on a sunny day. Lovely view to come back to though, onion domes of the church with the sun setting behind Little Angel have fun!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Skiwi 55, did you spot where the Haus Lukas is whilst you were there?

I like skiing in slush (unlike many people) so I might quite like the home run (or may just come down on the lift Very Happy )
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sugarmoma666, you'd have been happy this last week then. Big slush fest. Good fun to ski in, but sometime a little sticky.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sugarmoma666 wrote:
@Skiwi 55, did you spot where the Haus Lukas is whilst you were there?

I like skiing in slush (unlike many people) so I might quite like the home run (or may just come down on the lift Very Happy )

Can't remember the Haus Lukas, wouldn't have been hard to find but we didn't really do too much wandering. We were at the top end of town near the church, mate's landlord has an apartment on Schmalzgasse, near the few clubs. Found it a bit too quiet for 5 lads on a Fri night hence the day trips to St Anton. Thurs night flight after work, drive to the town, arrive midnight, skiing Fri/Sat/Sun, flight back Sun night. That's how easy it was, Munich is a great airport as well, don't know why more folk don't choose it as an Alpine gateway.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sugarmoma666, it's on the corner of brixentaler straße and a street called Lukasfeld. You can find it easily if you zoom in to Hopfgarten on Google Maps.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy