Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie here please help: Suggestions of resorts for March 11th ???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys Very Happy

This is my first post here Little Angel and i'm a relative newbie to the ski scene so could do with some advice on where to book.

A bit of background on myself:

Only started skiing last year but think (probably foolishly) that i'm doing pretty well. I did the usual coupld of hours on the indoors in england then went out last Jan for a week in Chamonix. Stuck exclusively to Le Tour, managing to progress to blues in that week.

After that i was hooked and did quite a few hours on the indoors back here, then a couple of weeks ago went to Val D'isere for a week. Did level 2 ski school progressing from worst in my group to pretty much the best over the course of the week quite happily covering a lot of blues and reds. As i was away with two completely fearless (stupid some may say rolling eyes ) women, they had me doing loads of blues and some reds from the first day. By the end of the week i was very happy, and had covered most of the espace killy greens, blues and reds (still haven't popped my cherry on a black run yet though). I'm happy on all the blues, but some of the steeper and icier reds still scare me so will attempt them but slowly.

I haven't really done any off piste yet ... but am looking forward to giving that a go.

So ... you know my ability and where i've been now so i could do with some suggestions of where to go March 11th. There will be myself and one other guy going who snowboards at about the same level as my skiing, and it will need to be a trip on a budget because there's only 2 of us so can't fill a chalet or big apartment to reduce costs.

One thing i do want is a big ski area. In 1 week we managed to pretty much cover the entire espace killy pistes, so size is of importance to me cos i like skiing new areas.

We've been looking at Chamonix again (cos it's cheap and i only skied a small part last year), Avoriaz, Val Thorens, and maybe Les Deux Alps so far cos i know nothing about other countries resorts.

Input on any of these resorts, or throwing in new ideas would be much appreciated along with websites for booking apartments cheaply.

Thanks in advance

Chris
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi chris and welcome. Iv been to the 2 alpes and chamonix a few times and they are very good choices for ur requirements, but again the weather will play a big part in your final choice, for example this march saw a heatwave decend on the cham area and the day i got there the village temp was plus 18!!.normally its -3!! If you can stay near an area which is a reasonable drive from a number of resorts then you can choose where to go on what conditions are there at the time.We satyed in cham but went to val thorens, zermatt and flumett as well as skiing le tour and le brevent. This way you keep your options open and can select via the net the up to date cond and forecast. Its hit and miss weather wise but if you look at the temp in chamonix theyre currently reaching double figures in the arvo so its just luck! One good tip is though look to ski somewhare with a highish altitude which will ensure optimum coditions- Les 2 alpes etc. Any way enjoy and i hope youv gained some valuable info from my post

cheers
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I suggest any resort higher up in the 3 valleys would be ideal. VT, Meribel, Courchevel should all be snowsure in early March and with 600kms of piste, should keep you occupied. Courchevel 1850 is very expensive, but I've done 1650 much cheaper. It's definitely worth considering.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chri$, We have availability in our chalet in Alpe D'Huez on the 11th March. Its a great ski area and we are happy to give discounts to Snowheads as well. Think it would be absolutely ideal for the level of skiing that you describe with plenty to keep you occupied. Have a look at our website www.skialacarte.co.uk and PM me if you are interested. You and your friend would be very welcome! Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chri$, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sounds like you would find something in most of the large resorts to keep you occupied. Alp d'huez is good for all levels of skiers. Courchevel is fantastic. If there is only two of you I would be tempted if you are going through an operator to wait till 2/3 weeks before when you will have some idea of where has got the best snow. I wouldn't rule out going back to Val d'Sere. You'll now the runs and its great resort for skiing in March
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the help guys Very Happy

Glad i'm not in Chamonix this week. Just had a text from a friend who's there and it's getting bad, he's looking for somewhere within driving distance for a day-trip to find better conditions rolling eyes

I know what you mean about booking late, but as we'll more than likely book apartment/flights/car separately rather than through an operator they seem to get booked up or go up in price substantially the longer you leave it.

I think nowhere else fitted the bill i would go back to Val D'isere cos i enjoyed it a lot, and the lift system and piste bashers were superb. Was in damn good condition even though it hadnt snowed for 2 weeks when we got there!!! But just for the experience i would rather go somewhere new.

Any ideas on Germany/Austria ... as a few years ago i worked in Munich for a few months and distinctly remember it bucketing it down with snow mid march?

Cheers again

Chris
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy