Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Elliptical Cross Trainers?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After failing to go to the gym (again) last week, I'm starting to think that the only way I'll ever get regular cardio excercise is to buy a cross trainer for home. Looking around the web there's plenty of choice, with prices ranging from a few quid (on ebay) to over 3 grand for the Life Fitness models they have at our local gym.

Now 3 grand is too much money, but I don't mind spending more than a few hundred to get a decent machine. Does anyone have any experience of these things and any recommendations? What makes one better than another? Are there any 'must haves' I should think about? Am I daft to even be thinking of spending money on something that will probably sit unused after the first few weeks rolling eyes

If I do get one, and quit the gym, it will save me £100 per month, so hopefully shoudn't take long to pay for itself! (even if I don't use it; I'm not using the gym!!) Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AxsMan, Buy a mountain bike, helmet, and some lights. Save £2000 - and get fresh air. wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Your gym is £100/month?! Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
And, speaking from experience wink , if you can't motivate yourself to get down to the gym, there are loads more reasons at home why you should go on home gym equipment tomorrow rather than this evening wink Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've got a cross trainer at home but spend more time on a mountain bike with a turbo trainer attached to the rear wheel.
http://www.bikepedlar.co.uk/acatalog/Tacx_Turbo_Trainers.html.

The turbo trainer is cheaper, much smaller and easier to store when not in use (but it needs to be attached to a bike). Ski movies and other DVD's make a boring experience more bearable.

I would go out on the mountain bike but it's not been above freezing for weeks and it's just ice/frozen snow at the sides of the roads.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cathy Coins, £97 - for family membership, but only me and Mrs Ax use it, and we have both been slacking off lately!

ski, DB, I have a mountain bike, but bad weather tends to be a perpetual excuse. We do try to walk into work at least 3 days a week, which is an 8 km round trip in (fairly) fresh air, but that doesn't really give us any cardio.

The biggest problem is time, I hoped that if the xtrainer was available at home, I'd make the time to use for half an hour every other day (but maybe I'm kidding myself!) rolling eyes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AxsMan, I used to work for Stairmaster years ago. They often used to sell of second hand kit like steppers etc. Might be worth giving them a call to see what they have. Don't know what the number is but if you do a google search for Stairmaster uk I'm sure you'll find them. They used to be based in Milton Keynes.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AxsMan, I have one (got it free from someone who'd given up).....even in the rain the mountain bike is better rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AxsMan wrote:
ski, DB, I have a mountain bike, but bad weather tends to be a perpetual excuse. We do try to walk into work at least 3 days a week, which is an 8 km round trip in (fairly) fresh air, but that doesn't really give us any cardio.

A turbo trainer allows you to train on the mountain bike indoors - it give a more realistic biking position than one of those bike exercise machines too. A turbo-trainer and a few ski DVD's is cheaper and less boring than a cross-trainer. Besides if you don't use the turbo trainer it takes up less room in the garage and is easier to buy/sell on ebay.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB, Have followed your link, the turbo trainers look interesting but I don't think Mrs Ax would thank me - she doesn't like cycling!, currently investigating ellipticals on this site:

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk

who seem to have everything from £125 to over £5,000!, several around the £600 mark look pretty good.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AxsMan,

Whatever you get I'd go for something that measures your output in watts - it gives you a more accurate measure of your performance improvement and an incentive to beat your previous performance.

PS Us men tend to carry weight on our rather attractive beer bellies but women tend to 'expand' differently, cycling does wonders for the female figure.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You have to be carefull with home gym equipment, as you rightly point out, it can sit idle after two weeks.

Quit your subscription from the gym, but a decent pair of trail running trainers and hit the road, its free and you can run anywhere. I do six miles every other nightwith out fail. If you struggle for motivation enter some running events and the race date looming will make you train. If I fancy a change I have rowing machine in the garage with multi purpose weight attatchments as ,but I find I'm out running more than using the rower.

Everybody is different but running works for me.

AB
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy