Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chatel Easter Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

We have been offered a good deal for a catered chalet in Chatel from 8th - 15th April, has anyone been this time of year? Will there be snow as appreciate it's fairly low. We would be putting kids into the local ski school so would need at least some snow locally.

Thanks,

Ed
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If there's no snow in Chatel, the nearest place with a better snow likelihood is going to be Verbier, which is a long way away. Another way of looking at this is that Chatel is the most snowsure place for miles around.

Chatel normally closes on the weekend of the 20th April and the last few years, since 2012 when I bought my apartment there, it has been fine to ski until the end of the season, although has been the usual spring type of skiing of icy mornings and slushy afternoons. You'll get better quality Easter skiing at higher resorts, but they're likely further from Geneva airport and maybe not as nice as Chatel. N.B that Avoriaz's skiing is only 150m higher than Chatel, which isn't enough to make a difference, in my view. By higher, I mean a lot higher and/or north facing, like Val d'Isere, Tignes or Val Thorens. Or indeed, Verbier.

This season has started off with very limited precipitation and not just in Chatel. The weather during the next few weeks will determine whether the snow depths restore to their usual level and hence, likelihood of a good late season. It's anybody's guess at the moment.

Bookings in catered chalets, which are mostly favoured by Brits are likely to be down this year, not just because of the snow, but also because of Brexit (in my view). Hence the number of late deals is likely to be up. Whether you book now really depends on how good the deal is and how much of a risk you're prepared to take, but there'll likely still be great deals available for late season in a few weeks time, when the snow situation is better known.

Disclaimer - I own an apartment in Chatel. I like the place, so my view could be perceived by some SH's (you may know the ones) as biased or driven by pecuniary gain. Indeed I may be biased. I prefer Chatel to Morzine and consider Abondance cheese superior to Beaufort. However, in 4 years of owning an apartment and visiting this website, I have only ever rented one week to one SH and then, during a week that I probably would have rented to someone else. I list my apartment in my signature, partly as full disclosure and maybe, to show off a little, not that my place is particularly extravagant. Consequently I really don't consider myself as having any financial interest in whether you or anyone else comes to Chatel, but I hope that you like it here if you do come.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 31-01-17 22:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Fast_ted, I've been there that time of year probably past four or so seasons. Unless there is an absolute shocker then there will be snow and the resort will be open at least at Pre la Joux area if not in the resort centre, Super Chatel. Pre la Joux is always a safe bet in the whole area in poor seasons and early and late season. The ski school will operate there if not in the village. Better still book them with BASS Chatel who only operate from Pre la Joux anyway Toofy Grin I have a very good feeling about late season anyway this year snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy