Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jimmy choo's

Poster: A snowHead
Question to all......

why is it that if you go to a shop and spend £300 on a pair of Jimmy Choo's, wear them to a dance and they give you blisters do you not take them back to the shop, jump up and down, swearing at the shop assistant and demanding a refund...............

but if there is the slightest pain in a ski boot (costing about the same or possibly less) the shop and the fitter are the devil incarnate.

i ask this as a bootfitter (developed thick skin over the years) it is something i hear in every shop i go into be it this country or in resort, and i am sure every bootfitter looking at this will concure. and in most cases the problems require a minor adjustment to make the boot perfect, yet i have seen people unwilling to accept this. Obviously there are more problems if the boot is not fitted properly in the first place, but there will always be some settlng in of the liner to the foot (and vise versa) which may require a tweak.

just read a thread that suggested that if the boots the skier bought from Profeet were not perfect from that moment he would be very disapointed

Is it the fact that the skier is loosing HOLIDAY time with sorting out the problems

Is it because there is a culture of 'this peice of footwear should be perfect'

many people say to me when i see them that they expect boots to hurt.....this is definately not the case they should not hurt...but they do require fitting and possible modification to stop them from hurting unless of course your feet came out of a box

i am not looking for a barrage of abuse, just an insight into why this happens and the thoughts that people have
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CEM, personally I wouldn't spend £300 on a pair of Jimmy Choo's wink

As a new skier you don't really know what to expect of a pair of boots - Mrs H was in pretty serious pain wearing ski boots until she got a pair of Strolz boots with foam formed inners made around her feet. When I started ski-ing I experienced some pain when going up draglifts, more recently I got a pair of boots fitted at S&R and they're sufficiently comfortable that I don't loosen the bindings at lunchtime.

I remember being quite surprised when SZK said he'd expect pretty much all of his customers to be back for boot tweaking, as a simple punter this type of information isn't readily available to you...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ian Hopkinson,
Quote:

personally I wouldn't spend £300 on a pair of Jimmy Choo's

me neither but it seemed like a good analogy Toofy Grin

I think the information about possibly needing adjustment is available, but only from the good bootfitters in the shops that are fitting boots for comfort and performance......there is a fine line between a boot that is right and one that is too big, you will also notice that i did not say one that is too small, if the boot really was too small you probably would not leave the shop with it, people must remember that at the end of the day and they do not believe the bootfitter they have the right to get up and leave without a pair of boots. the good shop will push the boundries but not sell a boot too small as it normally means problems in the future & they want to protect their reputation

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 1-02-06 9:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CEM. I, too, used to fit ski boots for the public - almost 30 years ago for Alpine Sports (r.i.p.) in London. I think Alpine Sports introduced the 'comfort guarantee', which has been a convention for ski shops in the UK since then.

If a comfort guarantee is offered then it's hardly surprising that the customer seeks a guarantee of comfort.

End of story, I would have thought!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CEM, maybe the thing is that you don't get people coming back to your shop and saying "wow, these fit great, I don't need to talk to you any more"!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith,

if you are reffering to the guarantee offered by the big two, it is hardly a guarantee....we will take the boots back less a rental charge (around the cost price of the boot...who is losing there) i am not saying that people should not seek comfort they have every right to that, i have always said that pain is an optional extra, but they should be a little patient and accept that boots may need to be modified

a proper guarantee will offer a refund or replacement and you will find it offered by very few shops (i can name 3 or 4 there may be more)

Ian Hopkinson,

we used to get people coming back with beer, tips and sending postcards SZK gets the same in Cham so many people do appreiciate good fitting
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
After 10 weeks of skiing with painful boots, despite constant modifications, Mr C was over the moon having just had his first pain-free week after new boots with foam-injected liners from profeet. We would not expect new boots to fit perfectly and would always anticipate having to go back for adjustments. Leith at profeet got a phone call to say how pleased he was and we will pay a visit with some choccies.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM, that's because you're a bloke - you couldn't possibly be expected to understand wink
But seriously...... Actually, expensive girlies' shoes are often more comfy (relatively speaking) than cheap ones even though they look like the work of the devil. Often they have lovely padded bits that sit under the ball of your foot and the proportions of the shoe seem to be better thought out - thereby making them easier to wear. That said, clearly you're not going to have them on for 8-ish hours without sitting down. Anyway it's much easier (for me anyway) to blame your ski boots for the fact that you've spent the day skiing like a f**t rather than blaming your crap technique Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CEM, I see you're located in Bicester. You don't work for Beans do you? And if so, any discounts for SH's? Smile

Apologies for going a bit off-topic.

Ant
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
antpj,

no I don't work for Beans, i have an orthotics & footwear clinic just down the street Toofy Grin and yes we can sort out something if we sell what you want
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Jimmy Choos analogy would be a good one if it wasn't for the fact that no-one in their right minds wear a pair of shoes that hurt.

I'd prefer to put it the other way round; having spent on a pair of ski boots at least as much as on a decent pair of shoes, why aren't they comfortable and why do they slip about like eels on any mildly slippery surface?

I'm particualry grumpy because last season I managed to get my boots really comfortable, only for them to turn into the foot equivalent of iron maidens over the summer. I ended buying myself a new pair on Christmas Day (I'm worth it). I think that they just reverted to shape due to too much blowing out, not helped by me leaving them undone with no inners in all summer.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
CEM, personally I wouldn't spend £300 on a pair of Jimmy Choo's wink...

Go on - live a little Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Unless he's got unusually small feet, I think Ian will struggle to find any that fit...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
richmond,
Quote:

I think that they just reverted to shape due to too much blowing out, not helped by me leaving them undone with no inners in all summer.

so you won't leave them like that again ..will you!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CEM, haven't done yet! Could they have done what I think?
snow conditions
richmond,
Quote:

Could they have done what I think?

what do you think they could have done? re-worked the boot? or gone out of shape due to leaving them that way???
snow conditions
CEM, I meant, could the boots have gone out of shape to the extent that they apparently did?
latest report
DavidS, since you ask, I do have 'elfin' feet... wink
latest report
I am on my 4th season in a pair of Xwave 10's and finally my feet have moulded themselves to the boots, now they are comfortable. I'll probably need new ones next year Crying or Very sad I am still mourning my last 2 pairs of Rachlie Flexon comp's, and have tried the Dalbello Krypton's they are not the same Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
richmond,

in a word, yes

the liners need the shell as an exoskelaton to keep them in shape, it is ok to take them out for 24 hrs or so to dry them out, but long term they need to be in the shell. the shell has got elastic memory in the plastic, if eft unclipped the cuff will try and straighten out, as for the stretches on the boot, to get a permanent stretch you have to heat the plastic to a point where you change the molecular structure (there is a fine line between this and melting it completely) and the press needs to remain in place until the plastic cools properly, some plastics stretch better than others and this varies from make to make.

the moral of the story is dry them out then leave them clipped up in a cool dark place, wardrobe, cuboard under the stairs or similar

Dypcdiver,

if you get to the uk Lockwoods in Leamington had some stock of flexons last time i spoke to them (not all sizes but most) Precision ski in Val d Isere also had a few pairs last week
ski holidays
CEM, thanks.
snow report
Whats a Jimmy Choo?
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, I'm guessing it's a shoe in which you can dance.
ski holidays
Quote:

Jimmy Choo's, wear them to a dance and they give you blisters do you not take them back to the shop, jump up and down, swearing at the shop assistant and demanding a refund...............

Actually, if they were JCs then I would. But not if they were from Primark. See samharris's comments on this point, as she's summed it up nicely.

CEM I thought we were *supposed* to be fanatical about ski boots, and spend lots of money getting the fit just right. Or do you NOT want us to spend that kind of money? wink snowHead

Frosty the Snowman like an iron maiden, only for feet. And more fashionable in appearance. Hence related to ski-boots by a way of a cousin once removed. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
The first few times I skied I hired boots. The pairs I ended up with weren't UNcomfortable, but I must admit I would get to the stage when I thought "I really don't want to unclip these, coz it'll only be horrible when I do them back up again".

So I finally invested in a pair - I was the only person in the shop (the shop I was in was already getting the summer hiking stuff ready (this was Holland, in February!)) and I had loads of time and space to wander around without any pressure from friends to get a move on.

Even with Jimmy Choos (I would imagine... if only rolling eyes ) you can't know what your feet are going to feel like after 8 hours upright in them after just a shop fitting.

Still, comfort's all relative. Anyone ever been fitted for pointe shoes? wink
snow conditions
clara_jo, And as for climbing shoes.... try descending a long gully wearing shoes 2 sizes smaller than normal hehehe Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Manda,
Quote:

I thought we were *supposed* to be fanatical about ski boots, and spend lots of money getting the fit just right. Or do you NOT want us to spend that kind of money?

absolutly, but (and apologies if i was not clear) people need to understand that it takes time to get the perfect fit, this time is spent adjusting shells liners or footbeds to suit the intrecasies of the human foot, the problem is many people expect to go to the shop 2 days before they go skiing, then have an instant perfect fit. All i am saying is comfort takes a little time to achieve (unless you have perfect feet according to the manufacturer of whatever boots you end up in)

incidently it does not need to cost a fortune, just careful selection of boots and footbeds and a little time to get it right

Scarpa, climbing shoes ....now they are the work of the devil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow conditions
My comfiest shoes are Asolo - they stopped making climbing shoes about 5 yrs ago so I have had them resoled a few times - they are now falling apart *sob sob*

5.10 Anasazi's are my next most comfy - but they are a touch tight as I got them from bankrupt stock cheap (only a few sizes to pick from). They are pink though so may look like girly fashion shoes Confused
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarpa wrote:
clara_jo, And as for climbing shoes.... try descending a long gully wearing shoes 2 sizes smaller than normal hehehe Evil or Very Mad

My climbing experience is limited, and I certainly wasn't in proper kit - I was up Stanage Edge in a pair of Dunlop Green Flash Shocked (ah, there's a blast from the past).

But if we're talking truly comfy shoes, then I haven't found anything better than my MBTs.
snow report
CEM, could never afford jimmy Choo's when I was younger and now I can I couldn't justify it .........that's half a skiing holiday!
snow conditions
Lorraine,
not really my bag either but I could dream (if i was a girlie)
snow conditions
CEM, what's an outlet village? Is it good or bad the Bicester has one?
snow report
DavidS wrote:
Unless he's got unusually small feet, I think Ian will struggle to find any that fit...

Well. That's very sexist of Jimmy Choo Razz
snow conditions
richmond,
Quote:

what's an outlet village?

factory outlets for some designer brands and a few non designer ones all in one place on the outskirts of town, employs lots of people which i guess is good for the town, but the traffic causes the gridlock also mentioned
latest report
David Goldsmith, Apline Sports? You worked with Martin and Jules?

CEM, Currently 97 last shapes in ski boots, 4 Billion pairs of feet on the planet. You get it right first time, you've had one hell of alot of luck, 97/4000,000,000.or they are too big. Little Angel
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

4 billion feet sh*t that is one hell of a lot of boots to fit just think of the end of season bonus Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
CEM, New Bike. Little Angel
snow report
CEM, thanks. You learn something every day. Sounds like hell (the village, not Bicester, which always sounds rather pleasant, although I've never been there).
snow report
Dypcdiver, i have loads of Flexon. Just what didn't you like about the Kryptons? Little Angel
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER,
motor or pedal Puzzled
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy