Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

recommendation for1 week beginners ski holiday from april 8

Poster: A snowHead
Minimal experience on light blue slopes.Any recommended place for us? The only apres we care for is a pool etc.
We've been recommended Les Arcs 1800, understood that there are almost no real green slopes and that mile8 will probably be closed in april...
Courchevel seems perfect for beginners, the prices for food/dinners are really so high? Do you have any suggestion for smth similar in slopes for april?
If we'll go for Val Thorens, is Les Menuires a reasonable place to stay (less altitude) and to catch a fast/direct ski lift in the early morning?
On the other hand, is Austria a good place for beginners in April? Or perhaps Cervinia/Paso Tonale?
TIA
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you are interested in Courchevel try La Tania or Courchevel Moriond (1650) which are both easily accessible to Courchevel 1850 but are less expensive. The new Auquamotion pool there is fantastic but pricey. It is half price on Saturday's.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@drporat, I very much doubt mille 8 will be closed in April. However for late season I think you might be best off in Arc 1950 or Arc 2000 as it will be easier for you to ski back to your accommodation there if the snow conditions aren't optimal. It can get heavy and slushy near arc 1800 in April.

Have a look at ski collection website which has a selection of residences with pools in both places. We have booked through them previously for Arc 1950 le village (prince des cimes has best pool) and La Cime des Arcs in Arc 2000 - first time was via Eurostar and second time self drive. La Cime des arcs is excellent although the pool is on the small side...fun for kids but not proper swimming. There is also an ice rink and bowling alley in arc 2000 but we didn't use them as were happy skiing all day.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@drporat, why not just stay in Val Tho itself? You run a risk of Les Menuires being quite muddy and brown at that time (though it could be lovely), and I don't think it has a pool.

Val Thorens has a decent aquatic centre, and lots of easy slopes with well planned progression.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We are currently in Montgenevre and it's a lovely resort and connected to the Via Lattea.

Loads of lovely greens, cruisey blues but decent wide reds as well.

It's very quiet and a few decent bars as well.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Montgenevre would be an excellent choice but bear in mind that the Italian side will be shut on 8th April so you would just be skiing Montgenevre itself. This is all you would need as beginners anyway. The ski schools are very good there and the runs would be ideal for you. The best self catered accommodation would be Le Napoleon if your budget will stretch to it - luxury apartments with pool. If you want somewhere cheaper Le Hameau des Airelles also has a pool and is good value. Both are on Peak Retreats website. we went via train with them but they also do self drive or accommodation only if you can sort out flights to Turin. If you are thinking of flying some of the large tos might do packages there but sometimes they stop in the first week of April.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Many thanks for your feedback, they are very helpful.
Les Arcs
@J9: regarding Courchevel, from the reviews it seems perfect for beginners and with a good chance of quality pistes in april. Do they have direct shuttles from Moriond up to Courchevel1850? I ask thinking of the return in the afternoon, in case the slopes down will be too steep for us. Courchevel 1650 is closer to our budget, and the aquamotion looks great.
@fixx: Val Thorens is our 3rd option (after Les Arcs and Courchevel). Thanks for the tip re: Les Menuires. For April, you think the easy slopes (green/blue?) will still be accessible? I understand it has the highest (altitude) slopes, I am a bit worried they will be frozen. Does the altitude made your head dizzy first times?
@snowymum: Les arcs 1800 (Club du Soleil, Le Golf hotel or MMV Altitude which is higher) were offered to us in a special package including flights and transfer. I thought 1800 will be high enough for April and mille 8 is nearby. From your post I understand we shall better climb. I am not so enthusiast regarding us skiing back to the resort, understood the slopes are quite abrupt for beginners. Are there lifts/chairs that can directly bring us down in the afternoon? In case we won't manage to ski back. And which of the 3 options seems better to you
Montgenevre comes perfect for our budget, it was offered to us by Zenith and seems perfect for beginners and for our budget, but I'm afraid in the 2nd week of april ski conditions won't be good (I know they are better than in the Italian part). That's the reason I also ruled out St. Anton in Austria as well (wrongly?). Basically, for 3 beginners who are nervous on abrupt blue slopes, but keen to improve themselves in a week in april, which resort will suit us most?
Any idea regarding Italy? Cervinia /Paso Tonale?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@drporat,
Arc 1800 - hotel du golf is a good bet. I have stayed there a long time ago. You would be able to ski back on blue runs but they might be quite slushy in the afternoons so more tiring on the legs later in the day. There is also the option of downloading on the transarc gondola but I doubt you'd need to.

Arc 2000. Haven't stayed in that MMV but have stayed in others in the chain. Less luxurious than hotel du golf and I would not personally choose that one as I think it is high rise 1960s. In Arc 2000 there is the ugly 60s bit at the back that includes MMV, club med etc but three new residences at the front which are far nicer and more upmarket. They are Hotel taj I mah which is very nice but very pricey, La Source des arcs - looks luxury self catering and la cime des arcs - decent self catering, slightly older than la source.

The advantage of anywhere in Arc 2000 is that you can ski back to it on easy blues that tend to stay firmer in April due to the aspect and altitude. When we skied there in April a few years back it was very mild but we were still skiing above Arc 2000 at 5pm as it was not too slushy. Whereas the other side 1800/Vallandry was nice in the mornings but noticeably heavier later on.

Montgenevre will probably have enough snow for the week you are thinking of. It might be a bit slushy in the afternoons but has high altitude north facing slopes.

I think either Arc 1950/2000 or Montgenevre would be ok for the week you are thinking of. Arc 2000 probably the safest bet.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowymum,
Many thanks for your advices. If we'll choose Arc2000, aren't we limited in terms of: a. blue local pists and fast connection to other similar ones in Les Arcs' area. b. things to do in the afternoon (like getting to Mille 8 at 1800)?
On lesarcsnet web map, the 2000 seems quite isolated. From your knowledge, are there fast/frequent transfers to 1800 till late in the evening? Buses, cabins without skiing, etc.
TIA
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another vote for Arcs 2000. I was there last week for the first time in ages (+/-15 years) and I remember saying to my group that this would be a great place to learn! They have a great set-up and a confirmed loop of easier pistes served by an easy chairlift.

There are navettes in the evening, but they only run till 21h or so, but you will find everything you need in Arcs 2000...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@drporat, I had just typed a long reply to your query and it has disappeared.

You will find the blue run skiing very good in the area above Arc 2000 and there are good lift links to the other parts of Les Arcs.

Between Arc 1950 and Arc 2000 you will find everything you need in terms of restaurants and bars and there are various activities laid on for kids..eg. mine did snake glisse sledging last time. this time they did the Rodeo sledge from the top of the Arcabulle lift and my son did night skiing on the marmotte blue. There are two spas for adults (taj I mah in 2000 and deep nature spa in 1950). the residence pools are on the small side and that is the only drawback - it didn't bother my kids as they just want to ski all day.

You could either get to mille 8 by bus or I think by ski lift as a pedestrian from Arc 2000 but if that is your priority you are best off staying in Arc 1800. however I'm not sure if there is much apart from mille 8 in terms of apres there.

You could also look at staying in L'oree des cimes in vallandry which has its own decent size pool, Jacuzzi, spa etc.. There are some lovely tree lined runs in that area but it will probably be getting slushy by the time you are going.

I would also suggest asking on the Les Arcs thread for further opinions.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
drporat wrote:

@fixx: Val Thorens is our 3rd option (after Les Arcs and Courchevel). Thanks for the tip re: Les Menuires. For April, you think the easy slopes (green/blue?) will still be accessible? I understand it has the highest (altitude) slopes, I am a bit worried they will be frozen. Does the altitude made your head dizzy first times?

I've been to Val Thorens in April many times and it's the perfect time, the slopes all the way to resort level are in good condition still - you generally get quite a bit of sun so the slopes soften up nicely, while still holding their shape (it can get very slushy in the lower resorts like Meribel).

I've been with 15 other people over the years and I've never experienced anyone having issues with altitude (but obviously everyone is different).

There are some nice greens (2 combes, and Espace Junior which is always quiet), plus the new fun slope with rollers & tunnels which has been built with beginners in mind and is great fun. Plus lots of easy blues to progress to (gentiane, moraine, pluviometre... too many to mention). And Tete Ronde is a lovely long blue from the top of the mountain, which you'll love!

That said, I've never been to Les Arcs so I'm sure that's very nice too!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Finding the right ski school is as important as finding the right resort - ideally in a small (maximum 6) group. Instructors will find the right slopes for you.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Personally I would expect the difference in terms of snow conditions, skiing back to accommodation, etc. between 1800 and 2000 to be marginal. Both areas will be easily accessible to you anyhow. There are many kms of good runs for beginners across the Les Arcs ski area. I would base the village you stay on the other factors. Ski school is an important one as pam mentions.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've been to both Arc 1950 and Val Thorens in the last 12 months and both are great.... but I think Val Tho has the better set up of interesting blues to ski. I have young kids and they loved them both. If I had to chose one, I'd go Val Tho.
snow conditions
Can't fault VT for anything. I love the place. If you have young kids it is worth checking Arinsal/Valnord area. Find the right deal and under 12's go free.
ski holidays
Thanks for your answers, what is your opinion about Avoriaz for the same period? (starting with april Cool?
We received a better offer, but the sure snow factor and the learning curve is more important in this case.
ski holidays
I would throw Saas Fee into the the mix.

It's very high, car free, picturesque and the skiing is great for intermediates.

One downside is there may be a little walking, in case that's a problem.
latest report
drporat wrote:
Thanks for your answers, what is your opinion about Avoriaz for the same period? (starting with april Cool?
We received a better offer, but the sure snow factor and the learning curve is more important in this case.

I'm potentially looking at Easter next year for Avoriaz so am interested in this too (although I'm hoping that first week of school hols will be last week of March). Essentially I think the answer will be dependent on whether the weather gods are smiling. The snow in Avoriaz should be fine, and hopefully a lot of the slopes on the swiss side but obviously the lower you go the more likely you are to hit poor snow.

I notice that they had 5-10cm of snow above 1400m on 9th April last year Smile Smile but then it rained at below 1700m last week Sad Sad so who knows!!
ski holidays
I learned that every year may be different at 1800 and lower. And even if there is basically good snow on glaciers etc., beginners and blue pistes riders might be limited due to the weather.
Avoriaz seems a much nicer place than Val Th and Les Arcs 2000, and is supposed to be good for limited experience like us.
ski holidays
Avoriaz looks to be in a good ski area (have only seen it in summer) but I think Arc 2000 would be a safer bet for this April given the below average snow depths this season. There are plenty of blue runs high up in Les Arcs.

However I do not personally consider Avoriaz a nicer place than Les Arcs. Avoriaz all looks very high rise on a cliff edge to me. L'Amara is one of the few places with a pool and it gets mixed reviews on trip advisor. L'Amara does not look as good in terms of value for money as Arc 1950. We went to the public pool in Avoriaz - Aquariaz in the summer once and were disappointed with it..it is fun for younger kids but not good for proper swimming and the water was too cold in the Jacuzzis.

The original part of Arc 2000 is not attractive. However at the front the new residences - Taj I mah, Source des arcs and Cime des Arcs are pleasant as new buildings go and in a perfect location for ski to and from the door. Our apartment looked straight on to the piste so we could not see the original less attractive side of Arc 2000 at all. You can hop on the gondola all evening to Arc 1950 which is an attractive purpose built village. Arc 1950 would also be a good place to stay. Hotel du Golf in Arc 1800 that you mentioned above is in a prime position right next to the lifts looking on to the piste. L'Oree des Cimes that I also mentioned in Vallandry is in a pleasant setting in an attractive village. The Les arcs ski area is scenic and varied. I don't think you'd be disappointed.
snow report
@drporat, if you are able to wait until the end of March before booking, you can check snow conditions, depths and forecasts then. You might have a wider choice of areas, less expensive and suitable options than the usual high altitude resorts.
snow report
In your position I'd be going to Obergurgl. Massive areas (French or otherwise) are no use to beginners - you can't ski 90% of the slopes. Obergurgl is high, picturesque and has a good ski school, along with some excellent hotels and lots of easy confidence-building slopes.
ski holidays
+ 1 for Saas Fee.
Snow conditions are important when beginning. Plenty of time to improve slush skiing on later trips. Saas Fee glacier keeps the snow in excellent condition and there are nice blue cruisers up there. Very scenic too. It's not a huge area but as mentioned above, mega resorts will be largely wasted and unskiable for you.
snow report
Saas Fe should be perfect for beginners, but I understood its pistes are mostly at a much higher altitude, over 2300 and towards 3500. Been to Jungfraujoch a few years ago, the altitude there made me dizzy as hell. That's why I don't wanna go past 2500
I also imagine it would be one of the most expensives on my list, after spending 2 sunny days in Zermatt in the last December. I'll listen to you and regretfully stop thinking of Avoriaz. Would like to leave pricey Val Thorens for next year (kids bigger, more experience gained and smth to evolve to). Before deciding on Les Arcs 1950/2000 (I understood 1800 on Easter might be bad), Livigno/Cervinia/Obergurgl can be a good choice?
snow report
Unless its the Alps only for you, could suggest Scandinavia. We are heading for Trysil during the week you are looking at and for some of the reasons you describe in terms of plenty of gentle runs, good ski school, neatly sized area so great for beginners and kids. It has had several good reviews on here in that regard although quite a few drag lifts which can be daunting/frustrating for total beginners.

It has a North facing side and the season goes to late April so hopefully snow conditions will be ok for that time of year. Its also very low in terms of altitude.

I think both the Radisson complexes at Trysil have pools (we are not staying at either sadly) . But has also had comments about high food prices. So depends on the ranking of your criteria.
ski holidays
fixx wrote:
@drporat, why not just stay in Val Tho itself? You run a risk of Les Menuires being quite muddy and brown at that time (though it could be lovely), and I don't think it has a pool.

Val Thorens has a decent aquatic centre, and lots of easy slopes with well planned progression.

Les Menuires does have a pool (with sauna, jacuzzi etc).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy