Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arc 1800 ski hire shop for ski testing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend a ski hire shop in Arc 1800 with a good selection of all mountain (84 -90 waist)skis with a view to test and purchase?

We hired from the Ski Republic in Edenarc last year and it seemed reasonable but I didn't pay much attention to the range at that stage. We're staying in the Alpages du Chantel again but the new Dahu lift makes it so easy to get up and down to town that I'm happy to hire from anywhere really.

Recommendations much appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyone? Pretty please?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@swoafs, can't offer much help as I haven't rented skis in a long time, but from looking at the rental shops in the main (Charvet) part of Arc 1800 they all have a better range of skis than Ski Republic in EdenArc or the Skiset in Chantel. I'm not sure if any one shop is better than the other, so perhaps best to have quick look around as it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to decide what shop to go with. As you say, the Dahu (or the shuttle bus) makes it very easy to get to/from Charvet.

When are you visiting Les Arcs? At the moment the pistes are generally hard with polished snow and off piste is very limited with almost no soft snow. With those conditions a pair of piste skis with sharp edges is probably your best weapon of choice. Maybe some fresh snow this week (it's being snowing very lightly today), but it will take a lot to bring the off-piste back to good conditions.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Rob, that's really helpful.
Are you getting that information from the shops' own websites?

Googling from the uk tends to just give a list of alpinresorts-style collectives and I think I need to put a bit more effort into finding the individual shop sites.

We're not out til late March so expecting softer pistes by then (at least in the afternoons).... but if course hoping for the odd m or 2 to fall in the meantime too snowHead
However the rest of our large-ish group is keen to book ski hire well in advance and mugglins is tasked with negotiating a group discount if we all go to the place I want Embarassed
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
swoafs wrote:
Thanks Rob, that's really helpful.
Are you getting that information from the shops' own websites?
No, just looking at the rental shops when I'm in resort to see what skis they have on display. That's probably not much help if you are trying to do stuff in advance!

Hopefully we'll see more snow by late March wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@swoafs, I just returned from arc 2000 yesterday. You don't really have much choice as skiset seem to have a bit of a monopoly on ski hire at les Arcs. My initial experience of skiset was positive but when I returned the skis they tried to charge me for damage. There was a small gouge of about 1cm on the base which I had noticed when I took first got them but did not think anything of it. They tried charging me 500 euros for a set that you could buy for a couple of hundred euros. What made the situation worse was when I was in the shop arguing my case with them they proceeded to have a conversation in French in front of me about how they could stitch me up and earn extra commission by charging me and also laughed about the other stupid tourists they had already charged extra that day. They failed to realise that I am fluent in French and when I responded in their own language they backtracked on everything and just tried to get me out of the shop. Then this morning when I got home I had to cancel my credit card as they tried to take the 500 euros off my credit card after I left the shop. My advice is to check what you are hiring very very carefully at the outset and if there is any damage no matter how minor refuse the accept them unless they make a written note of the damage. It seems the staff are on a percentage commission and they get paid more if they can charge extras. They will of course deny it so all you can do is be very careful and cover yourself.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As I've been saying, whatever the headline discount they offer for your basic ski hire: skiset = evil
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy