Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Annual Insurance

Poster: A snowHead
I've checked and can't see any recent threads on this- apologies if I've missed them!
Went with 24/7 insurance multi-trip last year as they allowed off piste without guide. This year though has to be with guide. Anyone know who is still insuring without a guide? Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MPI. I bought mine two days ago.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just got mine through Orbis (riskalliance.co.uk) as have been doing for some years. They checked and confirmed off-piste OK, no mention of guides.

Actual policy is with DTW 1991 Underwriting Ltd
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Insure and Go covers off-piste without a guide; as long as you follow the local warnings etc.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Excellent thanks all will get some quotes.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I used BMC when I was after without a guide insurance for off piste. The wording of the policy looked pretty watertight. And I trusted BMC to actually understand off piste skiing. Not cheap, though. And I have not checked recently, since I am no longer skiing off piste without a guide.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Poogle, insure and go policy states the following:

off piste skiing/snowboarding
(except in areas considered to be unsafe by resort
management)

I am no lawyer but my understanding is that in america where you have inbounds/outbounds this is quite well defined. In Europe how do you define what the resort management defines as safe. Arguably a risk of 1/5 is still a risk and therefore unsafe. I can think of very few resorts in Europe that have what they call Free-Ride zones that may be controlled.

The wording on insure and go is not exactly comforting.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Try Harrison Beaumont.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skier52 wrote:
Try Harrison Beaumont.

that sounds expensive.

try direct travel insurance. Used them for years and have been great even when claiming. Insure and go were the worst.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Poogle wrote:
Insure and Go covers off-piste without a guide; as long as you follow the local warnings etc.

And they require you to wear a helmet. (Not an issue to me but may be to some.)

In fact, looking at their wording, it would be interesting to check if you're covered off piste without an airbag.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gainz wrote:
skier52 wrote:
Try Harrison Beaumont.

that sounds expensive.

try direct travel insurance. Used them for years and have been great even when claiming. Insure and go were the worst.

Expensive? - £96 for Annual Travel Insurance for 2 people, covering a season skiing (60 day max trip length) including off-piste. Name a cheaper one!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fogg
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@skier52, sorry not saying Fogg cheaper - just off piste without guide.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gainz wrote:

They no longer offer travel insurance. I was with them for a few years but they wrote to me just over a year ago advising me to get insurance elsewhere. The website still works, or did, but just directs you to other brokers.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@skier52, that sounds like a very good price. I usually use MPI
ski holidays
I have SCGB. It covers off piste without a guide.
snow conditions
Does anyone rely on the travel cover that comes with home insurance?

I get winter sports cover with Direct Line so don't want to spend again if it's not needed.
ski holidays
Notice the HB insurance states:

Quote:
Off-piste skiing (provided not alone or against warning/advice)

Lot's of worry and ambiguity around that statement in brackets. For me at least.

I have been using MPI for a couple of years and will probably do so again this year. But I've made no claims so can't be sure on that count but the company chief a skier who seems to understand the game and act accordingly.
snow report
Always used BMC in the past but they seem to add a premium if want to board as well as ski so price for Canadian trip was ridiculous. If you're just skiing prices ok- there wasn't any stipulation that had to ski with guide off piste as far as I remember.

Booked this year with Columbus Direct - what a carry on I've had with them over the phone the last 10 days getting the insurance set up! (longest phonecall was 40 minutes- mostly on hold). Finally policies sorted for 2 trips but been a complete saga- only hope I don't need to contact them again to make a claim.

So will be looking for another company for 2018! rolling eyes
snow conditions
Combination of Austrian Alpine Club, ADAC plus, resort's own insurance plus home insurance cover just about everything for us.

https://aacuk.org.uk/
https://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership/
snow report
@geepee, they're back!

https://www.direct-travel.co.uk

Called them and confirmed with them, they offer off-piste unguided within bounds. Heli isn't included or an option though.

@skier52, My quote came in at £300 for same cover as DT!
latest report
@Gainz, Thanks, I'll factor them in this year's cover.
snow report
bar shaker wrote:
I have SCGB. It covers off piste without a guide.
I am also covered without a guide. We were insured with SCGB for years but they decided that those who wanted 120 days cover were no longer desirable so they tripled the cost to £900 and I left them, SCGB prefer not to subsidise experienced regular skiers and to insure students instead!
ski holidays
[quote="Layne"]Notice the HB insurance states:

Quote:
Off-piste skiing (provided not alone or against warning/advice)

Lot's of worry and ambiguity around that statement in brackets. For me at least.

I discussed this with HB and they assured me that skiing off-piste within a ski area was ok, wilderness skiing not covered.
ski holidays
@skier52, that's the problem it covers a US definition of off-piste and not the European one.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy