Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Loss of Eurosport Channels on Sky

Poster: A snowHead
Due to a row between Sky and Discovery Communications, Sky customers could end up losing access to 13 channels from 1st Feb....which includes Eurosport 1 and 2.

Bummer! Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's about time I cancelled Sky...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What are the other channels?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
"In the UK and Ireland, this includes DMAX, Animal Planet, ID, Eurosport 1, Eurosport 2, Discovery Shed, Discovery Home & Health, Discovery History, Discovery Science, Discovery Turbo, Discovery, TLC and Quest"

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/changes-to-sky-channels
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
oh that sucks. Time to cancel if that goes ahead.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dish to astra1, German Eurosport 1 is FTA. Job done. All the other channels were pish anyway.
You can even get Folx TV for cheesy Austrian music.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cancelled anyway. Will be a shame for those that like to watch tennis Spoiler
aka Alpine Skiing on the schedule

Would miss the cycling though, especially the spring classics that are not on ITV4. Least I can get that on German Eurosport outside of a continental European Sky package.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Eurosport are doing a deal at the moment, 12 months for £19.99 (usually £60), I did that just for their tennis coverage. Ends 31st Jan by the way.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just get the Eurosport internet player. £20 for a years subscription (down from £50-60), offer until end of Jan.

It has live Eurosport channels and an on-demand player.

Has to be said that I have found on-demand part fairly rubbish as it has a habit of jumping back to the start of a programme while you are watching for no apparent reason. But thats a 1st world problem and for £20.....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Minion1980, beat me to it.....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anyone know if you can record from Eurosport player? Come the world champs in Feb, I don't think work will take too kindly to me watching it live all day!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No need if they put it in the on-demand player after.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sky will obviously reduce the monthly subscription 😋 I stopped Sky a few years ago and felt much cleaner 😃
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Get a fire stick and all sorts of things can be available Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@boredsurfin, we just ordered a firestick
ski holidays
I cancelled our Sky subscription because we were mainly watching rugby, and BT Sport hoovered up much of that and then ramped their prices up. Now I watch all of the big games about 4 hours afterwards on Youtube and in HD, courtesy of a Fire TV stick wink For Glasgow games, I can get 80% of them free to air via BBC Alba, BBC2, BBC2 Wales, or Ulster TV.

Sky's business model is massively skewed by football, and by the need to recover the ridiculously large fees they agreed to pay. BT went into competition with them, and then found they had to screw over their customers as well to cover their outlay. It won't be long before the sports organisations see sense and offer pay per view access direct anyway, rather than selling it to Sky. That way, they get 90% of the income rather than 50%, and they have a direct channel to the fans which can be used for targeted advertising.

Sky are going dish-free in 2018 - long overdue, and when Virgin catch up and offer their service to everyone rather than just those near a cable, the whole TV market will change again.
snow conditions
@ousekjarr, It appears that the superleague will still only be available on Sky. Though I like the cricket it is the superleague that keep my Sky subscription.
ski holidays
ousekjarr wrote:
I cancelled our Sky subscription because we were mainly watching rugby, and BT Sport hoovered up much of that and then ramped their prices up. Now I watch all of the big games about 4 hours afterwards on Youtube and in HD, courtesy of a Fire TV stick wink For Glasgow games, I can get 80% of them free to air via BBC Alba, BBC2, BBC2 Wales, or Ulster TV.

Sky's business model is massively skewed by football, and by the need to recover the ridiculously large fees they agreed to pay. BT went into competition with them, and then found they had to screw over their customers as well to cover their outlay. It won't be long before the sports organisations see sense and offer pay per view access direct anyway, rather than selling it to Sky. That way, they get 90% of the income rather than 50%, and they have a direct channel to the fans which can be used for targeted advertising.

Sky are going dish-free in 2018 - long overdue, and when Virgin catch up and offer their service to everyone rather than just those near a cable, the whole TV market will change again.

I'll probably ditch BT Broadband and TV once they jack up the prices later this year to fund their CEO's obsession with overpriced football rights.
snow report
Quote:
Sky customers could end up losing access to 13 channels from 1st Feb....which includes Eurosport 1 and 2.

Quote:
Eurosport are doing a deal at the moment, 12 months for £19.99 (usually £60) .... Ends 31st Jan by the way.

Oh great rolling eyes . Pay up 20 quid and they do a last minute deal or leave it and hope. And then they don't. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Just rang Sky to have a right moan about the loss of Eurosport - 15 mins later I walked away with a £16 per month bill reduction and free Sky Cinema until October Very Happy .
snow conditions
franga wrote:
Just rang Sky to have a right moan about the loss of Eurosport - 15 mins later I walked away with a £16 per month bill reduction and free Sky Cinema until October Very Happy .

Good Man!

Was planning to do something similar...but was waiting to see if it was definitely happening. By the looks of things, it is.
ski holidays
good to hear from bobaski that Chromecast works with the EuroSportplayer. Much as I'm tempted to go with BT TV ( weirdly appears to be cheaper than BT Sport channels via Sky, and that's including UHD and recording box - albeit we do have Infinity) MiniRoll "needs" me to keep the Sky box set access, so can't junk that (just yet).
And Mrs Roll doesn't want yet another set of remotes.

So Player it is. £20 for the year seems reasonable value. And since I downgraded the sky package from " Variety" to "Classic" yesterday, it pays for itself in 2 months.
snow report
Is it fair to expect to cancel sky if I have just start a 12 month deal? Eurosport and discovery are important to my viewing.
snow report
smagsmith wrote:
Is it fair to expect to cancel sky if I have just start a 12 month deal? Eurosport and discovery are important to my viewing.

Probably not.....but a decent discount is.
snow conditions
maggi wrote:
Quote:
Sky customers could end up losing access to 13 channels from 1st Feb....which includes Eurosport 1 and 2.

Quote:
Eurosport are doing a deal at the moment, 12 months for £19.99 (usually £60) .... Ends 31st Jan by the way.

Oh great rolling eyes . Pay up 20 quid and they do a last minute deal or leave it and hope. And then they don't. Evil or Very Mad

They had some deals on the last couple of years that ended at a certain date and never came back again. I used to get the player for 3 months when the ski racing was on then just cancel it. The £20 for the year deal is pretty good.
ski holidays
@Deedee, @maggi, if you downgrade your Sky from 'Variety' to 'Classic', yes, you'll lose the Discovery channels, as well as Eurosport, but you'll save more than enough to cover the cost of the £20 deal if all you really watch is Esport.

I did this last night, think it was about £10 a month saving.
And Esport on chromecast works fine, if admittedly with about a 12 second delay (I can live with that...even the spoilers on here won't make too much of a difference wink )
snow report
Arctic Roll wrote:
@Deedee, @maggi, if you downgrade your Sky from 'Variety' to 'Classic', yes, you'll lose the Discovery channels, as well as Eurosport, but you'll save more than enough to cover the cost of the £20 deal if all you really watch is Esport.

And Esport on chromecast works fine, if admittedly with about a 12 second delay (I can live with that...even the spoilers on here won't make too much of a difference wink )

That works fine if you don't want HD (which gives 5.1 surround sound), as it's not available on Classic package. For me, I'm not prepared to give up 5.1, so will need different reimbursement.

When I rang Sky this morning, they were sympathetic, implied compensation should be available....but not until it was totally confirmed that no last minute deal would happen. They said that they are still somewhat in limbo and seem to be waiting themselves to see if the plug will be pulled on the 13 channels, from the 1st Feb. It seems to be a game of "Chicken", with their customers caught in the crossfire.

They said that Discovery Communications were asking for such a big rise, that they might have difficulty getting any provider to pay the extra premium....so could end up moderating their price to something Sky could swallow. I won't be holding my breath.
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, really No HD on Classic? - that's not what I was told. We had a long discussion about keeping it (primarily because the "box set" option only comes as part of the HD add-on). I shall be incredibly cross with them if I lose that, and cancel the whole damn thing. Of course won't be able to tell for a month, since it's a "31 day to change your package / bill" rule.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arctic Roll wrote:
@Old Fartbag, really No HD on Classic? - that's not what I was told. We had a long discussion about keeping it (primarily because the "box set" option only comes as part of the HD add-on). I shall be incredibly cross with them if I lose that, and cancel the whole damn thing. Of course won't be able to tell for a month, since it's a "31 day to change your package / bill" rule.

All I can tell you is a year ago, I downgraded to the Classic Bundle, only to find I had lost HD....so had to upgrade to the Variety one.

I asked again today and was told that HD was not available on their Classic Bundle, though if you have paid extra for the Box Set option, that "may" cover you.
ski holidays
Well yesterday I ditched SKY after 17 years and signed up for BT, £20 a month cheaper and includes Discovery and Eurosport.
snow report
@Arctic Roll, thanks for your advice but I'm actually with Virgin! I was just annoyed at the usual scenario of big companies (especially Sky - been there, done that) pissing off their poor customers big time.
latest report
I've just been having a look at the Virgin bundles and was surprised how few channels are in HD. We're on the Sky Variety package and I do spend a fair bit of time watching the Disco channels (mainly car stuff) and would miss Eurosport for the winter sports too. To get the kids channels which are bundled with Sky on Virgin, we'd have to step up a level and that puts the cost up a fair bit above what we pay now.
latest report
@maggi, AH got you!
@Old Fartbag, I suppose it depends which way you read it: Box set comes with HD or HD comes with box set! Either way, I only pay for one type of package. But if they do take away the HD AND the box set, then I shall be following @JimboS's route.
And so what if I've paid for Esport twice... (and Miniroll will just have to catch up quick!)
snow report
HD TV, Fire Stick, a VPN and Kodi. Easy access to anything you want to watch.
snow report
My Eurosport channels have disappeared this morning Sad

No skiing, Tennis or Cycling Sad
snow conditions
Mine are still there Puzzled
latest report
Mine are also still available (at the moment, anyway) Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Arctic Roll wrote:

I don`t have sky. I don`t really watch much tv but i like to catch the skiing on my phone while i`m at work. I could probably use kodi or whatever but i don`t mind £20 for a whole year and there`s no hassles with it.
latest report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
HD TV, Fire Stick, a VPN and Kodi. Easy access to anything you want to watch.

I'm looking at the Kodi route - what's the VPN?

Cheers.
latest report
Last minute deal done. We will not be losing eurosport😊
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy