Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Marker Bindings - Advice Required

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all you smart, talented, knowledgeable people. I've got some Faction twin tip skis and am looking to buy some Marker bindings. I've been advised Marker because I have a habit of breaking bindings due to the reckless skiing I do. I've been for about 10 weeks over 15 years and do about 75% on piste, 5% in the park and 20% off piste but within sight of the piste. I weigh 85-90kg depending on the day and clock up 35km per day on the slopes and have never skinned. These are my first non-rentals, so sorry if I'm giving too much/not enough info. I really have no idea.

Are these alright for me? MARKER F12 TOUR SKI BINDINGS https://www.freezeproshop.com/marker-f12-tour-ski-bindings/colour:5427/size:5431

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Ross
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are you ever going to tour - if so they are golden - if not you don't need the functionality and they will eventually get sloppy from use and hard landings in the park. Far better to go for a Griffon or Jester if you aren't going to tour imv.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rossangeles, If you are not looking to skin, then there really is not much point in having the F12 Tour bindings. That's not to say they are bad bindings they really are good and versatile, and at that price it is ridiculous to almost not consider them, however there probably are better bindings to be had if you are not looking to tour.

Additionally I have heard (not experienced - but then I am lighter) that they can be a little more fragile as they are mainly constructed with plastic to save weight over the Dukes, and Barons. Like I said i've never experienced any issues but some others may be able to shed some light on it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

breaking bindings due to the reckless skiing I do

WTF Puzzled

I think I have seen one broken binding in about 1,300 ski days.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dave of the Marmottes, @Dzmarc, thanks both. I'll look at the Griffon as they're a similar price. Just seemed to good to miss at that reduced rate.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, two in one day!! It's a long way down the mountain with just your boots Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Screws pulled or bindings actually broken?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've broken bindings - the heel track on the Rossi Axial 2 is particularly prone to cracking and sustained use ultimately sees you knocking the wing tips off rossi/ look toepieces.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Screws pulled or bindings actually broken?

like bits of the binding breaking off. Not the screws coming up.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I managed to knock the heel lever off some fritschis on the first day out Embarassed
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jedster, that I can understand.

Busting bits off ordinary alpine bindings less so.

Extraordinary.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I snapped the rear base plates on both Salomon S850's in Tignes Christmas 2014. First one went just as I was arriving back at the apartment one evening. I was traversing back to the rear door through some cludge when it pinged. Got a second hand replacement fitted. Next day when we'd gone right over to the far side of Val D the second one went just coming to a hard stop at a lift station. It just about hung together with the boot clipped in but it was a really tricky and nervous ski back! We've deduced the reason is I do a lot of jumps with the kids and I am heavy and the bindings were a bit old and they were pretty cheap! It's a good reason to churn over to new ski's every few years and to be careful you don't just buy the cheapest stuff available.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Layne, cheap bindings are made with more plastics which can make them more fragile...

Not sure why Marker would be the tool of choice necessarily?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@Layne, cheap bindings are made with more plastics which can make them more fragile...

Not sure why Marker would be the tool of choice necessarily?

In my case the base plates were metal. They just sheared in half. I bought the ski's second hand with the bindings already fitted so it wasn't a choice I made.

But yeah, I'm not sure why Markers are the go to bindings for the OP. I think whatever manufacturer you get what you pay for to some degree.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd give Jon a call at the Piste Office - you won't find many people who know more about bindings.

When I was buying some skis recently he gave me some decent advice about bindings, and we went for a Vist binding that made sense based on having a load of metal in it, as far as I can remember, but I'm sure there is more to it than that. Basically they were tougher than other plastic bindings that would have fitted what I need.

Give him a call, he will give you the advice you need, even if it is about bindings from other suppliers and might well be able to do a very similar deal (worth getting him to fit them too if logistically possible) to what you can see online.
snow conditions
I cracked the rear heel piece on the bindings on my slalom skis (probably when I took off from a mogul and landed on a large slab of rock in a ditch) and the shop found me a second hand racing binding that has a full metal heel cup. The chap said that I wouldn't be able to break this one but that it is not a challenge Laughing
snow report
I suspect the issue was more to do with being on battered rental bindings which have an awful lot of mileage on them. Buying your own and skiing a few weeks a year and you are far less likely to break them.

+1 for spyderjon at the Piste office
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy