Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Breathable fabrics - but non breathable linings!

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone explain why so many ski ( and walking) jackets are made from breathable waterproof fabrics but are then lined with silky or taffeta type non breathable linings?
I find that my very thin and mid layers wick away moisture admirably, as does my downie when needed. However, the lining of my ski jacket is often soaked through by lunchtime because it traps rather than wicks all this perspiration away.
Oh! And this is not because I am too hot - it is just that I seem to use more nervous energy to ski nowadays following a couple of accidents. 🎿💦
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you think these linings provide a barrier?

I have an Arcteryx Atom jacket which is a great mid layer and breathes, etc admirably, but I can't wear next to my ski as it gets sticky. It just needs a wicking layer between and all is good.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 27-01-17 10:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I always feel dry with my wicking under layers, but am always amazed at the wet linings of my 2 ski jackets.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If it's an insulated jacket this too may be an additional layer to trap moisture. Breathable jackets relay on a difference in temp to drive the moisture out, I've never had a problem with Goretex shells (apart from when I'm sweating buckets on a hard day) or softshell jackets, but I never use an insulated one.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't buy those jackets? Which ones? I've never had an issue with Burton AK gear which works really well in damp conditions.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@philwig, +1

None of my ski or cycle jackets that are breathable have a lining!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah I've noticed that too, and have learnt to avoid them. As with so many, many products in life, I wonder whether their designers ever actually took them home and tried to use them rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quite a lot of breathable shell jackets have some kind of lining - either a face fabric or a "hanging" mesh liner. If you are working hard then you can generate more moisture than the membrane is able to transmit so it has to stay somewhere until the transmission can catch up - that is either going to be as droplets on the inside of the membrane or within the fibres of the lining or a base layer.

I run hot and if I'm doing sustained aerobic activity no waterproof membrane can keep up. I need to vent or remove the shell if I am to stay dry.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have had a look at some shell only jackets and don' t much like the look of any. And none seem to have removable or fold in hoods.
But more to the point, why are they about £450 upwards when two or three times the manufacturing would seem to go into a decent lined and or padded jacket at £250 upwards?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Scrumpy,

first up there are loads of shell jackets for less than £300. Just visit, e.g., Cotswold Outdoor and click on waterproof jackets.

At £450 you are talking about top of the line mountaineering shells made from the newest and best fabrics with top notch construction, in particular the seam taping method. You are not getting that quality and cost of mf in a £250 insulated jacket.

Mountaineering jackets tend not to have detachable hoods because its not an important function, adds weight and reduces weather protection. Roll-away hoods tend not to have the size and adjustability that can deal with a helmet to a bare head. You can definitely get less technical shells with either type of hood though.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AFAIK this is an inherent part of the tech of most breathable fabrics, there needs to be a significant difference in the moisture/ temperature of the environment either side of the fabric before the moisture will move through the fabric (i think eVent is different). Even my old (long since stolen Sad ) Gore tex XCR, 30k g/m/24hr would sometimes get moist.
The linings you speak of are breathable and are generally there to add a little insulation and keep this damp off your skin.
It sounds as though you're already doing the best thing by wearing all breathable fabrics underneath, smartwool or icebreaker merino being my faves.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Scrumpy, have a look at e.g. Patagonia Triolet - pretty high quality, lifetime guarantee, list £300.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
@Scrumpy, have a look at e.g. Patagonia Triolet - pretty high quality, lifetime guarantee, list £300.

No powder skirt as far as I can see ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scrumpy wrote:
under a new name wrote:

No powder skirt as far as I can see ?

can't say I've ever used a powder skirt done up, even in over knee deep blower snow in Japan!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Scrumpy, powder skirts seem to have fallen somewhat out of fashion. I don't miss not having one on my jacket. Not even heli skiing.
latest report
@Scrumpy, I'm with you, I wouldn't buy a ski jacket without a powder skirt. For me it is major contributing factor in keeping me warm. Similarly, ski trousers must be bib style, for a good overlap.

I'm always amazed when I see exposed midriff skin on skiers and boarders Shocked
snow conditions
Must admit, I wondered the same thing as the OP when I got a new (and not cheap) Burton snowboarding jacket; more like a country squire's Saturday afternoon shooting outfit than a technical jacket.
However, having just given it a good test in real conditons I can't say that I can find any complaints.
I (unless very warm) always wear a fluffy fleece of some kind between my outer jacket/shell and inner/thermal (non-cotton) layers, so maybe that helps with the moisture, wicking etc - but I've never noticed any jacket lining getting wet in any conditions. I do tend to wear jackets big, and I happily ventilate warmth by opening front zips and letting air in around the neck: so maybe that all helps too?
I have various ski and mountaineering jackets lined with viscose/nylon lining, holed mesh, microfleece and nothing. The only one which gives me any sweat-related dampness is a heavy (probably non-breathable) very waterproof shell; so either I'm doing something right, or they are (and it would be very rare for it to be the former... wink )
snow conditions
Ah well, no one has explained why they don't just put the mesh liners in instead of non breathable nylon taffeta - so I guess my search will continue into another season.
Powder skirt not required for fashion or everyday skiing, but is for me for off piste adventures or very cold weather.
ski holidays
Which jackets use nylon taffeta as a lining? Give an example and people might be able to explain? I have multiple jackets (gear junkie) and none of mine do?

Also, top end jackets are aimed at mounatineering/ski touring, not resort skiing, in which case a powder skirt is a pain as it gets in the way and is uncomfortable under a harness
snow report
My current jacket without powder skirt is a sufficiently neater cut that I really don't miss it. Anyway it's a powder skirt, not a warmth skirt. Shouldn't really impact enormously how warm you are.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy