Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fastest car to the piste?

Poster: A snowHead
Freestyle skier Jon Olsson puts his souped-up Lamborghini with a roof box for his skis up for sale

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-4148058/This-Lamborghini-Huracan-ultimate-ski-resort-car.html
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

I'll see your Huracan, and raise you a Königsegg Agera R with Ski-box Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I reality I'd take a Audi RS6 with Litchfield upgrades, in the real world pretty much as fast, but a lot more practical.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any hire car
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Or a 17 year old plumber's van.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What's the van that the 17 year old plumber owns?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Does it have winter tires and clearance for chains ? Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PowderAdict wrote:
I reality I'd take a Audi RS6 with Litchfield upgrades, in the real world pretty much as fast, but a lot more practical.

Then you might like his last creation, sadly stolen and destroyed Sad

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The point of the RS6 is it's subtleness , not that monstrosity.
Unless you know it has 560PS it does not look much different than a 3.0TDI.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If I could go to the Alps in any car it would be RS6 (not that hideous thing above with the snow-plough on the front though) or a RSQ5 (or whatever the sorted ones called), my absolute favourite cars. it'd be great fun battering these down through Germany on the Autobahns..... Cool.....and calling at every other fuel station on route!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

(Supposedly) last weekend in Valdesquí in central Spain. Widely and erroneously reported to belong to Cristiano Ronaldo (and the silly hacks didn't even correctly identify the ski resort.. they'd have not shone brightly on the Guess the Ski Area thread); IIUC Lamborghini ended up confirming that it belongs to one of their other Madrid clients.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 27-01-17 10:18; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's funny how the Audi is the car of choice, every time I drive to Alps, I set cruise at 149kph & the only cars that sit right up my chuff while I am overtaking are UK registared Audi's
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My brother has an RS6 with litchfield upgrades. I think its 740bhp. Absolutely awesome car.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Meh, fast Audis attract that certain kind of onanist driver you used to find in the BMW M3, and that kind of association is frankly, unacceptable.

Order me up a Mercedes CLS 63 AMG Shooting Brake, or maybe I'll wait for that new Alfa Stelvio with the 2.9 twin turbo... plus its hansom for a pocket SUV
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Everyone knows the fastest way up to a ski village is in a Renault Clio van, in yellow with "La Poste" on the side. Nothing overtakes so well either, going up or down. Wink
ski holidays
musher wrote:
Or a 17 year old plumber's van.

1.9 diesel Astra? Quickest thing on the planet Happy
ski holidays
@Thornyhill, Yep, Astra van all the way, and if you put ladders on the roof it goes even faster.
snow report
No roads to our village, so it has to be...
snow conditions
Anything with the words Gumball 3000 on it is a sure sign of arseholedom.
ski holidays
I would imaging a Range Rover SVR on 20 inch rims with snow tyres would be the vehicle of choice to get to the Alps for the wealthy in a hurry. Fuel economy is dire, but hey ho.

Not the Overfinch one, a bit footballer.

Last time I drove a RS6 got off the train at the same time and sped off, saw it 3 times later in the day ( last time coming into Moutier, so those fuel stops do slow the trip down. I stopped once in Lyon, the magic of the modern diesel.
snow report
Interesting. It's just that the whole point of those really ugly cars is presumably the ego of the person who makes them - the idea of buying one second hand seems odd. I'd rather have the old Clio van.

You don't see many of those vehicles in the Tesco car park here.

I reckon the spoilers on that Lambo would not make it up to most ski resorts.

Diesel: I get the range thing, but they're not to pleasant for people who need to breathe.

I liked the BMW i3 a lot, and it was way faster in the snow (with suitable rubber) than most of these toy cars would be.

Overall I don't much care about the car, but radar assisted cruise control is just brilliant.
ski holidays
Quote:

I would imaging a Range Rover SVR on 20 inch rims with snow tyres would be the vehicle of choice to get to the Alps for the wealthy in a hurry. Fuel economy is dire, but hey ho.

Yeah but the limit is not going to be the power but its ability to go round bends (where 4wd doesn't help and weight harms) - I bet you could go faster round hairpins on a mountain road in a fiat panda (with proper tyres natch)!

And these RS6 things with carbon roofboxes. I reckon the great advantage of a big estate is that you can put the skis in a ski bag through the ski hatch and not bother with racks and boxes. We bought the skoda ski bag for our humble octavia and can get 4 pairs of skis and four people inside the car. So much less faff.
ski holidays
@jedster, From experience , the 8 hours on the motorway are where you make time, not the last 40 km up the mountains. I know from watching the locals that a Fiat Panda is king of the hill, great if you live there but not for the drive from Calais.

A Range Rover with Snow tyres would be pretty good on the roads up though.
snow report
Quote:

@jedster, From experience , the 8 hours on the motorway are where you make time

true enough but almost any modern car will cruise fast enough to get you arrested on a motorway!
snow report
There was a guy who came on SH years ago, a Verbier regular with an Aston Martin. He used to strap his skis to the roof using a portable/inflatable roofrack. I found the post from 2007 but unfortunately thé photo is no longer available.
snow report
Quote:

Last time I drove a RS6 got off the train at the same time and sped off, saw it 3 times later in the day ( last time coming into Moutier, so those fuel stops do slow the trip down. I stopped once in Lyon, the magic of the modern diesel.

Even an RS6 will do over 500km on a tank, perhaps the driver or passenger had a weak bladder!
ski holidays
Quote:

almost any modern car will cruise fast enough to get you arrested on a motorway!

especially with current lower speed limits because of pollution. Laughing
ski holidays
Not this

https://www.flickr.com/photos/48625620@N00/331331085

Friends took their lpg sj410 and nearly died of boredom - huge diversions to find fuel, huge screaming engine noise, damaged spines and all at the speed of an arthritic slug. I think you might get the same sensation by driving an RS to the Alps in first gear all the way, same cruising speed, same fuel consumption, vibration and noise level.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 28-01-17 9:50; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Meh, fast Audis attract that certain kind of onanist driver you used to find in the BMW M3, and that kind of association is frankly, unacceptable.

Order me up a Mercedes CLS 63 AMG Shooting Brake, or maybe I'll wait for that new Alfa Stelvio with the 2.9 twin turbo... plus its hansom for a pocket SUV

Generalist but true. Only time I agreed with Clarkson was when he moved his BMW drivers are cocks to Audi drivers are cocks.
snow report
Hired a Merc GLE 350 from Paris CDG last year with winter tyres to drive to Samoens as was combining the holiday with a visit to see my brother who lives in Paris. Was frankly one of the least stressful drives I've ever had; cruise control and radar, good navigation and live traffic meant I just had to point it in the right direction. Didn't have to fill up on the journey there and only only the outskirts of Paris on the way back. Sure, it wasn't exactly sporty in the short sections of mountain roads but then Samoens is really easy to get to in that respect being just off the motorway.
snow report
Re-mapped Skoda Octavia (is the right answer) Toofy Grin
snow conditions
anything driven by this old man

http://youtube.com/v/ZyyUjLB8TXc
snow conditions
Why stop AT the piste?
snow report
@dredgey, haha, I saw these photos yesterday , cool car.
snow report
Years ago we used to stay in Tignes with Mrs Ski's sister and family. They would drive down, at supersonic speed in an MG ZTT estate. They'd arrive at the dam below Tignes 2 hours before us in our sloooooooow non-turbo diesel Berlingo. Then it would take them an hour or so to put chains on, and them two hours to empty the car. We'd arrive, chains on in 5 - maybe 10 mins, and unpack 20. -- so who really got to the alps first ? The Berlingo was so slow uphill I would have HGVs overtaking me in the Vehicules Lent lane rolling eyes
ski holidays
Any Belgian in a luxury German car, any Frenchman in a work van
ski holidays
@cstreat, that's a good point...

We had a humorous hour as we progressed north past Dijon on the A31 - huge Belgian 4wd spotting.

Looking back out of the car and speculating ... it's coming fast ...maybe 145 kph ... it's big, and it's a fwd

And then as it hammered past...

Yep, Belgian.

Right ... another one ... big, fast, fwd...

Belgian.

Right ... another one ... German? Nope. Belgian.

Repeat ad nauseam.
snow conditions
billb wrote:
Re-mapped Skoda Octavia (is the right answer) Toofy Grin

+1
ski holidays
@GlasgowCyclops,

haha brilliant video... Very Happy snowHead Laughing
ski holidays
What about fastest car on the piste? This Ford Fiesta has to be up there.

http://youtube.com/v/5cprVnask28

And here's a link to where you can get the fastest car to the piste

https://www.hertz.co.uk/rentacar/reservation/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy