Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes Le Lac or Val Claret 2017

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There is an older thread on this from 2010 - so I wanted to get a more recent debate.

We're heading to Tignes March 11th - still trying to decide whether to base ourselves in Le Lac or Val Claret.

The picture at the moment seems to be:

Val Claret appears to have better lift access to the glacier / Val'd'Isere side -- possibly also fewer crowds early morning given that there is a larger number of lift options. Not sure about restaurants/bar situation?

Le Lac looks like is has fewer lifts (one that you must take to get up to reach Val Claret via a shortish blue), but possibly more restaurants/bars/apres?

Any views about which is better for slope access/lifts/apres?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stayed in le lac lunched alot in val claret. I would say there is a little more nightlife in le lac. Both have great ski access. It doesnt take long to get to val d sere from le lac but obviously quicker from val claret. Being less worried about nightlife I would suggest val claret as the most convenient but would happily stay in le lac
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@CharlieL, Le Lac has a lot of hotels and less apartments than VC as such it tends to cater to a differing set of clients, dare I say slightly older. Val Claret can be very noisy depending on which block or which side of a block you are on because of its design. The nightlife tends to go on longer in Val Claret and is generally aimed at the under 30s.

The lift access to Val D'Isere is identical from both, The Toviere Gondola and the Tufs chair both take 6 minutes and take you to the same place. queuing on a morning is the same in both villages, rarely more than 5 mins unless you are in the Feb holidays. From Val D'Isere the return is a black into Le Lac, blue into VC. Which ever you choose the local bus service runs 24 hours a day to whisk you from one to another.

If you give me a little bit more on age, abilities and what you mean by apres (spilling cheap lager over everyone from a table top to a quiet mixed Franglais bar I could narrow down my advice.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
that is really helpful, thanks guys. Good to know about the lift access. It seems to come down to apres Happy Ok. So, mixed group 40+, good skiers. Probably won't be spilling cheap lager, but definitely not a quiet read by the log fire with a glass of Chateau Latour either. Something in between (live music good, older(ish) crowd, stays open late) - mixed franglais bar with some life sounds perfect! Le Lac looking like the best option? Also, decent selection of restaurants preferred.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@CharlieL, Ok, Le Lac it is. It is also easy to get to Lavachet from Lac. So in Le Lac - L'Embuscade for a few beers in a French(ish) Bar till 2. In Lavachet le Queue de Cochon, Restaurant (fab) and bar with music a few times a week. For a Savoyarde night out L'Eterlou in Le Lac, for a meat/cheese fest La Ferme in Lavachet. The Hotel 2100 also has a good rep but it can be a bit of wait whilst they serve the hotel guests. For a special night out (ie €100 inc wine) then try the Gastro evenings at The Hotels Gentiana and Campanules.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd go with the one you can get a better deal to.....I've been to both and like both.

It may be worth highlighting what Chocksaway said regarding skiing to Lac from Val...your only options are a Black (which can get crowded at the end of the day); downloading in the bubble; or skiing to VC and getting the bus (not difficult to do).

The bus linking the Tignes resorts goes regularly and it's only 10 mins between Lac and VC
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks! Brilliant info about the bar/restaurant scene in Le Lac. Really helpful. Yes, may come down to availability/best deal -- but thinking Lac may be the more suitable option. Not worried about the slope/s back into Lac from Val -- it doesn't look too hairy for the jelly legs last run of the day (unless maybe it ices up a lot when the sun goes down -- is it south or north facing ? I've seen worse (like the dreaded two meter wide hairpin green run back into LDA in days of old -- it used to resemble the Battle of Agincourt on the last run of the day; situation better now they have built the new run down).

ps. Good to know about the shuttle link between Val Claret and Le Lac as another option back.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Trolles - The Black down to Lac, as is so often the case in skiing, can be lovely if not crowded and the snow good.....but it has a narrow section and it can get pretty icy. Where it opens right out for the last, fairly steep section, I prefer to take the unpisted bumpy option to the left of the piste markers, if piste is crowded and icy.

I have stayed in The Diva a few times in VC and can recommend it.....though it has been taken over this year by Belambra Clubs. The main downside under the new ownership, is the coffee now comes from a machine, which is not good if you like a decent cup in the morning to get you going.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy