Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newcomer needs to look good...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ey up all,

Right, I'm planning a trip to Soll (sorry, couldn't get the little umlaut thingy on the 'O') in March but need to get kitted out.

I have Gore-tex jackets for myself and the missus but we need to get salopettes. I'm an angler normally so I have Gore-tex bib'n' braces galore, but they look a bit gash.

I've seen some dare 2 Be slopettes ay www.gooutdoors.co.uk for about £30 but need to know; how shoudl they fit?

Most of them seem to have a maximum leg length of 31 inches - two inches too short for this yorkshire streak of wee wee.

Are skiing salopettes supposed to be short to fit over boots or do i need to get longer ones? I don't want to look like my mum has dressed me with half-masts... help???

Also, what other kit do I need? I have a load of base layers and fleeces I've blagged off companies I work with in my job as an angling journo, but are there any key items that are 'must haves'?

What kind of gloves should I buy - mitts or proper five finger jobs?

Do you really need goggles or will sunglasses do?

Do ski boots make walking awkward - will i need a massive supply of socks?

Is it worth having one of those hydration back paks while out on the slopes - I use one in cycling and they're pretty good.

Any help will be most appreciated

Pat
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads.

Salopettes tend to be slightly longer if anything.

Wicking base layers are useful, as are fleece middle layers, but they're not essential, many people make do with a T-shirt or similar.

Mitts are warmer, gloves are easier to pick things up with.

Most of the time you don't need goggles, but when you do they're a godsend. Generally buy goggles with a low light lens, as that is when you'll be using them most often.

Ski boots are a pleasure to walk long distances in, skiers just moan a lot. Socks should be well fitting and clean on every day. Whether you take loads of pairs, or wash them in resort is up to you.

Hydration packs are generally excellent, unless it's really cold, in which case they freeze solid.

Hope this is helpful.

PS one of the statements above is not true.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi. There's a thread somewhere else on here with advice about kit for 1st timers.

I'd get ordinary trousers, not salopettes, much easier when you need a crap. Ski trousers do tend to be shorter (or to look shorter when on) than ordinary trousers; we do not aim for the gentle break over the instep, more covering the top 1 or 2 buckles of the boot.

Mitts are warmer, I prefer gloves. You can get mitts with fold down tops to reveal gloves if you want. Waterproof and warm is good.

Goggs are necessary for bad weather, sunglasses for good. If you only get one, I'd get goggs.

Yes, ski boots will make walking awkward. Carrying skis will make it even more awkward; velcro ski ties might be handy.

The number of socks you need will depend to some extent on how you wish to smell. I'd go for an even number, but, hey!, rules are made to be broken. Get decent ones, not too thick.

Hydration packs are good, although I prefer bars myself; I don't know Soll, but Austrian resorts are usually well provided with on slope boozers. It's difficult enough getting your weight forward without sticking a pack on your back.

You ought to think about a helmet. There are plenty of threads on here about them, with views for and against.

BTW, everyone looks more or less silly in ski kit. Germans in one piecers obviously look silliest, but it's not something to worry about.

Have a good time.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 31-01-06 17:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
animal, nothing worse than half mast ski trousers!! Gte yourself off to Snow and Rock (or ring them up). I think Columbia stuff generally comes up a bit longer, although length not such a problem for blokes' stuff. You try getting laydeez stuff with anything other than "normal" leg length - nightmare, and very pricey. Anyway, Snow and Rock on the phone (if you don't have one near you) are pretty helpful when it comes to advising about trouser lengths. But they will definitely be more than £30 Sad Especially if you go for the Goretex ones. As for the rest of your stuff, echo the advice from the others. Seems from your other post that you're going with Mrs Animal - if she feels the cold, Icebreaker thermals are great snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

But they will definitely be more than £30

not necessarily. Dare2Be is the inhouse brand of one of the big French sports chains (Quechua is another) and their stuff is fine. Also, if there is one near you, try TKMAXX where you can usually find good stuff, as long as you have time to sort through the rubbish. But yes, get trousers, not salopettes, which you can't get out of without dropping your things round the wet floor which is an inevitable feature of loos on ski slopes. Buy bargain priced gear and spend the savings on good quality instruction. Nothing looks less cool than a hopeless skier in hundreds of pounds worth of the latest gear.......
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, I didn't mean the dare2be stuff, have no idea how much it is. I meant that if animal went to Snow and Rock looking for a longer-than-average pair of ski trousers or salopettes, then they would most likely be more than £30. Quite agree with you about not spending too much on clothing but if you're not an average height, you don't have a lot of choice rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Dare2Be is the inhouse brand of one of the big French sports chains

I think Regatta may have something to say about that
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
animal wrote:
Ey up all,

Are skiing salopettes supposed to be short to fit over boots or do i need to get longer ones? I don't want to look like my mum has dressed me with half-masts... help???

An inch shorter than your normal trouser length will still come right down over both clips, but you can wear them shorter, just means they won't come down over the whole cuff. The minimum you need is to get them over the top clip.
Having said that, I find it really irritating if they don't come right down over both clips so buy long ones. Most manufacturers make a few of their products in a long leg version but in the UK very few places stock them. S&R supposedly do but you'll be lucky to find them, their online store doesn't list them but they're in the catalogue.

If you are serious about getting long leg ones buy online from the US, they are usually listed as "tall" as opposed to long.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
animal, I usually take inside leg 33, and I don't have a problem with ski trouser length. Ski trousers almost always have an internal elasticated cuff at the end of each leg which fits over the outside of your boot to keep the snow out. I think that most people pull that down over the top clip or two on the boot; if you can do that, thatis, of the cuff reaches down to just above your ankle, the trousers are plenty long enough. There's nothing more embarassing than tripping over your trousers while skiing.

Did I mention that many people regard matching his 'n' her brightly coloured all in one suits as the height of fashion? You may wish to buy a couple of these. Due to demand, they can be hard to find, but a couple of hours with google should do it. You will be the envy of other skiers (please remember that on the slopes, a gesture made by looping the fingers and thumb together and shaking the hand up and down vigourously means 'Nice all in one outift, Hans.').
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
animal, I'm currently use Schoeffel salopettes - but their kit is goppingly expensive. You might want to drop admin a PM and see if you can do a deal on Keela ones - the spec of their kit looks good - and they are much cheaper than the big names. There was an astonishing offer on them in the Easyjet in-flight mag in January. The appearance is fine, BTW - though you don't get the poser name on the braces.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers for all the help guys.

I work on a fishing mag and can get Gore-Tex stuff made to measure by a friend but it's expensive so I reckon scouting the web may show up a few bargains... after all, I can always upgrade if I like this skiing lark. Best to spend £30 or so on cheap garb and then pay more if I like it, than pay £200 and not get the use out of it!!

I really can't wait to get on the slopes in March - I've only ever done dry slope skiing and that was when i was about 14 (well over 13 years ago!!). I think the snowdome at Tamworth may be my first stop to get some practise before I take out half of the Austrian Alps in a freak knee-capping accident!!!!

Wish me luck... I'll need it!!! AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!

Thanks chaps and chapesses

Pat
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
animal, I'm sure you'll have a great time & Austria has had some really good snow this season. Enjoy!! snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
animal, i'm usually a 36" leg in jeans but normally just get a 33/34 in boarding trousers and they are fine as they have an "inner" leg and seem to be made slightly longer anyway. At 34" you'll be fine. Have fun! snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy