Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do Clubmed check kids birth dates?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - I am considering to book Clubmed for next season but the resort I am interested in will only provide ski lessons and kids club to kids from 4 years old. One of my sons will be three day shy of 4 the week that we plan to go... if I "accidentally" make him 3 days older in the booking - will they check? Any thoughts?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Bella2015, from past experience with Club Med, although it was a long time ago, we had to provide proof to them that the children had been vaccinated before they could access ski school, daycare and evening club. This proof would probably have included the child's date of birth, but it is a long time ago, and you may not even need to provide it now.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Hells Bells, thank Hells Bells - what was this proof? A letter from the doctors?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bella2015, yes I think I had to get a letter from GP, as the vaccination record book wasn't enough. But my kids are in their 20s now so a long time ago.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hells Bells, you have a good memory! Thanks... not sure what to do as want him to have childcare/ lessons
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Presume it you will need to provide API information? That would also mean they have he birth date.

Does he turn 4 while out their or 3 days after you return?

Esprit do lessons and kids clubs from 3yrs old....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Bella2015, probably not wise really if you think through the potential insurance implications. The Esprit suggestion is a good one and also worth checking other resorts who may start them younger.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@NickyJ, he will turn 4 two days after we return. What is API?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Advanced Passenger Information - you need to give passport details and from memory date of birth, which is passed onto the air lines.

Ah ok reason for clarifying as I know for most things (normally pricing!) it is the age on return date which is relevant.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ah shades of taking my nieces to Legoland where we were going on something that had a 3+ age limit. As they, quite rightly ask the kids how old they are I remember saying to my niece "as it's your birthday next week remember to tell the lady how old you are going to be"
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dave of the Marmottes, did that work, didn't for my youngest when she wanted to do the driving school Happy she decided she couldn't say that and decided not to even do it.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yep it worked and it was the driving school - as it was her birthday treat and she was 2 days off 3 I didn't feel too guilty (plus she explicitly said "It's my birthday and I'll be 3". She incidently behaved more maturely than half the kids in there because she listened and paid attention closely.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Took mine to Andorra for a week where lessons started at age 6, she was 5 1/2.

Phoned the agent through whom I was booking the lessons, asked if it was legal requirement (insurance) or just guidance for height, strength, maturity, as mine was advanced for her age (true compared to her school classmates). He said he couldn't guarantee but felt it was the latter.

Put her into school on the first day, told her to tell everyone that she was 6, otherwise she'd be taken out of school.

On the morning of Day 2 she told the instructor in a stage whisper "Don't tell anyone, but actually I'm 5 1/2". Shocked Laughing

There were no other problems throughout the week Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh no..really confused now as don't know what to do. We are going with a few families who all want to go on these dates and this club, so a tricky situation. Could book private lessons for him but he would not be with his friends..
I wonder if I have to give them the API or we could just check in for the flight ourselves ( the age difference does not matter for the flight price at all)? The
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Why not ask Club Med how stringent they are? We had similar debate with Esprit last year as going with friends whose child wasn't yet 5 (would have been around 6wks after our return) and they said it would be fine for the lessons etc.

I know the French love their bureaucracy but someone might see common sense if you ask the question.
ski holidays
@schnitzel_skier, thanks I called Clubmed reservations and they said no , but when I called the hotel directly they said - maybe - so will let me know by tonight, but I am not very hopeful
ski holidays
Re insurance - when you think about it, what would their insurance cover that yours wouldn't, given that you will have some hours in the snow outside of school and has the same risks of damage to themselves or others?

I'd say chance it.
ski holidays
@Bella2015, if you are going with a few families this must be a sizeable booking worth quite a substantial sum is it not?

You may want to emphasis this point with ClubMed when talking to them!

If it is legal/insurance issue then of course they will have no choice but if not a waiver seems a no brainer.

I suspect as Orange200 alludes this is more to do with physical development than legalities.
snow report
What @Layne says!

3 days is really not here or there from a kiddy's development view.
PS La Plagne does have the very junior kids club so the little one could be looked after and get ski experience
ski holidays
Just spoke to resort hotel and they said that should be ok to book him on arrival. But will double confirm with the mini club manager tomorrow.. finger crossed! It means though that I can't pre-book him, so I hope there will not be surprises with booking him once there. Like they may change their mind and or come up with some crazy price
ski holidays
@Bella2015, fingers crossed, sounds promising. Re Insurance, I really meant your insurance, as if something horrible happened, your insurance might at some point question why he was skiing when under their rules he shouldn't have been. All really irrelevant if they use a bit of common sense and let him enjoy his holiday with his friends.
snow report
Bella2015 wrote:
Just spoke to resort hotel and they said that should be ok to book him on arrival. But will double confirm with the mini club manager tomorrow.. finger crossed! It means though that I can't pre-book him, so I hope there will not be surprises with booking him once there. Like they may change their mind and or come up with some crazy price

Sorry to labour a point but do they want several grands worth of business or not. Why can't they book him in now so you know where you are at?
snow conditions
Lie and be damned. But don't complain here when you are facing a massive medical bill if something goes wrong.

Would you expect a British provide of services to waive things on a whim. You do not check in your parental responsibilities at Gatwick. Just sayin'
snow report
@chocksaway, not sure how you relevant/ helpful your comment is but thanks for your opinion
snow conditions
@Bella2015, @chocksaway, Spends his time out in the Alps during the season, so his opinion is probably quite well informed.
snow report
@Layne, not sure why they would not book them now but say they would on arrival..slightly nervous to be too pushy as they may just revert to just following their rules..should I try and insist that they book him in advance or at least provide me a written confirmation that they would accept him in the resort....
snow report
@geepee, as I said, I respect any advice especially that of such and experienced snowhead.. but just felt that @chocksaway's comment about me somehow "checking in parental rights in the airport" ever so slightly offensive...
latest report
@Bella2015, shame your friends are putting you into this spot, as if you go later you won't have an issue, if you go with somebody else, you wouldn't have the issue. I personally wouldn't attempt to lie and if they wouldn't agree to book he child in when you book the holiday you have got to have somewhere else lined up for you lessons or go with somebody else if I wasn't happy. Which of your two destinations have they decided on? Maybe worth asking about what is available outside of club med and how convenient it is for the accommodation?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geepee wrote:
@Bella2015, @chocksaway, Spends his time out in the Alps during the season, so his opinion is probably quite well informed.

Don't see the relevance unless he spends lots of time booking holidays with TO's or putting young children in ski school. I've certainly read lots of threads on here where parents have asked/wanted to get their children into a school with age limit above their childs. In general the answer is give them a call... some do, some do sometimes, some don't, depends how busy, depends on the child, etc. I don't recall anybody being accused of being an irresponsible parent.
ski holidays
Bella2015 wrote:
@Layne, not sure why they would not book them now but say they would on arrival..slightly nervous to be too pushy as they may just revert to just following their rules..should I try and insist that they book him in advance or at least provide me a written confirmation that they would accept him in the resort....

Understand the dilemma. I'd answer by saying what happens if they say no? What do you do then? If there is a plan B which is acceptable then it's not an issue. If it's going to leave you in a hole then it needs resolving. As Nicky says maybe that means finding another provider.

Perhaps better to pushy and know where you stand?
latest report
@Layne, thanks.. yes as per @NickyJ's suggestions I looked at the alternative and it would not be a problem to organise another ski school and/or nanny for him - last year we used Evo2 and T4 and were happy - the only issue would be that he would then be separated from all other kids in the group which is not ideal for him..as I said I have called the hotel and now awaiting patiently for the confirmation from them which should come today
ski holidays
I doubt that the API would find its way to the resort, given that it is only used for the flights/border control
latest report
Bella2015 wrote:
@Layne, thanks.. yes as per @NickyJ's suggestions I looked at the alternative and it would not be a problem to organise another ski school and/or nanny for him - last year we used Evo2 and T4 and were happy - the only issue would be that he would then be separated from all other kids in the group which is not ideal for him..as I said I have called the hotel and now awaiting patiently for the confirmation from them which should come today

Might want to get that in an email at least, so its reproducible if there are any questions out there
snow conditions
@SkiG, thanks - I have emailed the Chief or the Village but he is yet to respond
snow report
Hi

We had planned to go away 18th-25th March with my 4 daughters, the youngest would be 6 days off her 3rd birthday (legal age that ski schools allow kids in our chosen resort). I rang ESF in france and explained the situation the lady was great, she said a week out is totally fine, I could book our ski school over the phone and this would be noted onto the booking. Like you I had wondered about bending the truth but a lot of companies were asking me to enter d.o.b and I was worried they would check passports etc.
If I was in your position I would be to change the date to start ski lessons on your sons birthday then theres no worry at all, I'm sure if you explained the situation your up against they would understand, last thing you want is to arrive and hes on his own.
x
ski holidays
@rm1982, thanks - I thinks ski schools are more flexible than Clubmed. my friends have already booked for the week before my sons 4th birthday, so now I need to decide whether to chance it and hope that he would be accepted ( or arrange a separate childcare for home if not) or not go with them at all...
snow report
Or by chancing it - i don't mean to put a wrong date in the booking- I was already in touch with the hotel so they know the true situation - so just hoping they will be able to accept him
snow report
One of my grand-daughters is still eligible for free "under 5" lift passes but to get one we have to produce her passport. And when I booked a "family pass" for british friends they wanted the documentation (which French families have, but we don't) to prove their status. My friends weren't married and their 2 children weren't "theirs". I knew the woman selling the passes and I speak enough French to explain that they we don't have those documents in the UK, but that they were friends of mine and I knew the four of them had been living together for many years (which was true!). She gave me the pass, but it was a bit of a personal favour - if I'd been a stranger, or stroppy (or perhaps someone unable to speak any French) she could have dug her heels in. I wouldn't chance it unless you have a "fall back" plan - in case they need to see his passport and won't take him.

Don't rely on getting private lessons at the last minute. I tried at Christmas to book lessons for my grand-daughters at half term and there was absolutely nothing left - no groups, no privates.
snow report
But @pam w, that's a bit different, as they were claiming a young age in order to avoid paying (to put it crudely), whereas in this case someone would be claiming an older age in order to pay! I can understand in the former case any business would be stricter Smile
ski holidays
An update - I have received a call from the resort chief this morning and basically they said that they cannot legally accept my son;( As my friends have already booked , I have decide to proceed with booking anyaway. Effectively it means that he goes for free only pays for the flight which leaves me enough budget to arrange a childcare and ski school outside Clubmed..not ideal but should be ok
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy