Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ankle buggerup

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Sprained my ankle on the weekend (sport related, recurrent injury) with two weeks to go before I head to Chamonix with the child, probably only a grade II tear. I had a grade III last year but had 8 weeks before skiing to recover. Last year, the ski boot was enough to keep my ankle stable and the pain only arrived when I took the boot off and I'm slightly worried that this current injury will impact my skiing to only on piste when I was really hoping to improve off piste. Am currently try to speed up recovery of the injury with all the physio tips that I've learned over the years of consistently going over on my right ankle. Realistically, considering that the boot pretty much supports the ankle (though make my knees seem to over-compensate) am I going to be able to progress with off piste?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When my missus did her ankle a few weeks before a trip a couple of years back she dacked out of any off piste. She was OK with the on piste. She did say she felt happier skiing than walking on it but I think the off piste was too "jerky" compared to the smoothness of the pistes. Worst part was putting on and taking off the boots. So I would assume off piste will be a struggle based on her experience.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
back bottom. Really wanted to improve my off-piste and the lessons are already booked. Still, not been to Chamonix before so plenty to explore on-piste. Also wanted to get a new pair of boots but that's a plan gone too. back bottom, back bottom, back bottom.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah - not allowed to be rude on here but somehow back bottom seems worse!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hercules2016, I see no reason at all not to ski off piste. I have experience of skiing with a sprained ankle and it hurt far more on rutted ice than anything else. As you rightly said, not only will the boot support it but it will also speed up the healing time by virtue of the increased circulation through a compressed joint.

I don't know what physio you're doing but as far as I'm concerned, there is one and only one exercise that will do wonders for the stability of an ankle joint - single legged "glute" squats. Unsupported and in bare feet, they are also terrific for increasing proprioception, dorsiflexion and overall balance which will aid your off-piste skills considerably.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have a balance ball and I know the squat you mean - like half a pistol squat. Am not currently able to do any sort of squat and my ankle is a lovely dark sunset colour. I'll wait til the bruise hits my toes. However, you have given me hope. Thank you
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Hercules2016,

Ankle won't tolerate jarring even if in a boot so endorse the comments about ice.

If it goes over as easily /frequently as you describe probably time for a surgical opinion-they may conclude physio/ brace / tape instead of surgery but it would be useful to know.

A physio should give a program of progressively challenging exercises tailored to phase of recovery- in other words one person's "maintenance' exercise may not be what you need, right now, when the ankle is swollen and bruised

Jonathan Bell
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I often joke about a replacement ankle but to be honest it's the sport I play and a genetic weakness. If I didn't play netball with all the resulting ankle trauma (sprint stops and twist jumping) I think I'd be ok. I am having to seriously decide whether I continue to play at a highly competitive level or whether I decide to concentrate on umpiring and coaching. One thing I know is that I want to continue skiing more than I want to continue netball especially as my daughter is now beginning to ski with me rather than getting dumped in ski school for half a day.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've not seen a physio this time round. I guess I'm a bit bored of it all. The last time I went he did say that my ankle would never fully recover now and that because both my knees and ankles were 'loose' (his words) that my best option would be to build up the muscle around them for stability but I'm a bit rubbish and lazy and have the "it'll all be ok" attitude. Mostly it is but perhaps age is catching up with me a bit more than it used to.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hercules2016, Netball does seem to me to be the one sport you don't want to be playing with weakened ankles. And if you've done them a few times for sure they will be. Arrange regular skiing trips to compensate Very Happy Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Maybe your shoes are to big and that causing movement and damage?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy