Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3/4 length insulated mid layer trousers

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all.
I normally ski with a base layer and decent goretex shel on the bottom half. However, with temps potentially a bit low on the BB I'm on the lookout for a pair of trousers that offer insulation for under the shell. Ideally 3.4 length to above the boots or perhaps the ability to fit over ski boots.

Any recommendations from the high street (inc sports outlets like ellis brigham, nevisport etc) since time is getting close to BB take off.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
two baselayers ? . Can't say I've ever come across anything like a midlayer for the legs.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
but Google may be your friend https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rab-Power-Stretch-Pro-Pants/dp/B0170LUJL6?tag=amz07b-21
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arcteryx do a 3/4 mid layer, or Boot Cut as they call it:

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?country=gb&language=en&gender=Mens&category=Base_Layer&model=Phase-AR-Boot-Cut-Bottom

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 22-01-17 15:04; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Look at sailing gear, Musto do a variety of mid-layers for the legs. That's what I use over merino thermal long johns when seriously chilly, as keeps the large bloods vessels in the thighs warm.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you need toasty then it's hard to beat something made of Polartec Power Stretch (used to be made by Malden Mills). If you want ¾ length then scissors can be handy Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just get a warmer baselayer and you should be fine. If heading to the Alps, it's cold-ish but not very cold. Nowhere near like it was in February 2012 and it's getting warmer too. I bought insulated trousers back then in case this weather repeats and only used them once since then, 2 seasons ago.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hells Bells wrote:
two baselayers ? . Can't say I've ever come across anything like a midlayer for the legs.

Mountain force have them and was in TkMAxx two weeks ago but I didn't get them. I have a pair of insulated trousers but I prefer the flex of on off if too hot/cold.

I might resort to Scisors and
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PS I have long and 3.4 base layers already. I would just like insulated.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
what makes you think you will be cold if you dress the way you normally do? It was cold for a few days but it's over now.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
At minus thirty I'm find with standard snowboarding Gore Tex plus "skins" or equivalent compression tights. If I ever find I need more I suppose I'd add a pair of bike or running tights or similar, but I doubt it'll happen.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Came up on my fb feed: norrona lyngen alpha 100. Looks like what you are looking for. Can pull them over "skins" or some merino base layers.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Haglofs Barrier Knee Pants

http://www.haglofs.com/de/en/Pants/BARRIER-III-KNEE-PANT-MEN/p/602314.2C5

I wore mine all last week as the temps in Andermatt got down to -24 at one point before wind chill. Base layer and shell pants wouldn't have been quite enough warmth for me at those temperatures. They have a side zip like a lot of outdoor trousers so should be able to get them over ski boots.

They seem to be available from various places at the moment although most are based in Europe

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 22-01-17 17:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yep, I wear polar fleece mid layer below about -10 these days and it stop toes getting cold, helps with the core temperature. Never had an issue with my legs feeling cold with base layer and goretex shell pants but toes did suffer. These make all the difference and of course breath well.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rab do a 3/4 polartec fleece mid layer
latest report
@Sharkymark, which I think is what I found above, if they did ladies in 3/4 I'd have some myself.
snow report
Sweet Protection also do a heavyweight pant of 3/4 length that I am using under salopettes this season and they are great. NB Sports Pursuit is your friend in this. Smile
snow conditions
Sweet Protection Saviour top/bottoms. Only layer you'll need unless it's above freezing.
ski holidays
3rd Sweet saviour bottom.
latest report
I've been looking at these which look brilliant and are exactly what you are looking for but a bit bloody pricey for what they are. Hoping for a season end sale!

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?country=gb&language=en&gender=Mens&category=Pants&model=Axino-Knicker

Otherwise I'd look at Mountain Equipment who do a powerstretch fleece 3/4 tight
snow report
I can highly recommend the Arcteryx model - they are perfect.
snow report
Why not just buy a cheapy pair of baselayer tights, leggings or whatever you call 'em and just wear them a bit pulled up at the bottom? Buy a size or two over normal and wear them as a 2nd pair.
I always ski in at least 1 or 2 pairs of bog-standard thick 'wooly' (polyester) tights (or Damart lacy leggings) under some old stretch Mountain Equipment leggings. It all just gets pulled up high enough under my outer trousers to stop fouling the ski boot calf & tongue fit, and forms a nice rolled up warm seal over the top of the boot.

If you want cheap, can't do better than Decathlon for a selection. Very cheapy range (which is toasty, thin-fleecy-lined type and lightweight polyester type, about £4), through thinner to merino-content (still probably only around £10?) - they do unisex and gender-specific designs. Or CCC/Go Outdoors and some stretchy thin-fleece-lined running or mountaineering leggings; but probably more expensive.
Or my favourite £1.99 fleece stretchy thick tights/leggings from my local pound shop. Very Happy
S'all warm, all basically the same stuff, all wicks well enough and keeps heat in when you need it.
As long as it has some kind of suitable gusset and/or doesn't rub in sensitive places... Shocked
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
I've been looking at these which look brilliant and are exactly what you are looking for but a bit bloody pricey for what they are. Hoping for a season end sale!

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?country=gb&language=en&gender=Mens&category=Pants&model=Axino-Knicker

Otherwise I'd look at Mountain Equipment who do a powerstretch fleece 3/4 tight

There are similiar products from Norrona, Ortovox and Dynafit with different details. Some include side zips allowing them to be worn over /under and removed more easily during ski tours:

https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/products/lyngen/lyngen-alpha100-34-pants-m/

https://www.ortovox.com/uk/shop/men/swisswool-light-tec/swisswool-piz-boe-shorts-m-crazy-orange/

http://www.dynafit.com/en/mezzalama-polartec-alpha-overshorts-men.html

Worth considering!
ski holidays
I wore my Sweet Protection 3/4 ones in -30 last week under just an old shell pant and didn't get cold legs at all. They're very cosy!
snow report
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132075607538
ski holidays
Www.shinshields.com.
The original 3/4 insulated base layer. The STP3/4 Uses primaloft one(the ligtest most technical in primalofts range). They are the lightest (medium is less than 200gms) warmest mosts technical thermals around. The loft traps air keeping you warm while promoting both blood circulation (a key reason for getting cold feet) and movement (fairly important for most mountain sports). They have been a favourite with mountain professionals for many years.
ski holidays
These fit the bill perfectly.

https://www.fifecountry.co.uk/mens/tweeds/edinburgh-tweed-breeks-9618?gclid=CjwKEAiAq8bEBRDuuOuyspf5oyMSJAAcsEyWy6XaoyEfSkvpIFIrTkpypU-P6L3QMRF0iwE5VeAaRBoCMAPw_wcB
snow report
richmurray wrote:
Www.shinshields.com.
........ses primaloft one(the ligtest most technical in primalofts range).

FYI, it's no longer in Primaloft's range and hasn't been for a few years.....

http://primaloft.com/insulation
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think we've established it's a fake, but a useful tool is scam advisor to check out these dodgy looking sites:

http://www.scamadviser.com/check-website/skiwearuk.uk

The OP's site is based in Turkey. As mentioned; if there's no phone number steer clear.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy