Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone flown BA Gatwick - Turin recently?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just booked up for a long weekend in Sauze d'Oulx in a couple of weeks, flying BA from Gatwick to Turin. We've done the same flights a few times previously and never had any bother getting boot bags checked into the hold as well in addition to main luggage, as combined weight was below the 23kg limit. However, in the two years since I last used that route BA seem to have morphed into Ryanair and are now charging extra for sandwiches/booze/reserving seats/paying by credit card/taking a pee/breathing, etc.

In this apparent new spirit of chiselling and price-gouging (on top of already pretty expensive flights) I fear they may try to clobber me the forty quid for an extra bag if I keep my boots separate. Maybe not that big a deal for me if they have tightened up. With some judicious rearrangement I can still get everything into the allowed bags (though obviously this would disrupt my Rainman-like packing routine) but it would be a big shame if a once very customer-friendly airline (IME) had gone this way.

Anyone used BA on that route lately (or indeed BA on other European short haul routes), and if so, what were your experiences or observations?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Ingemar_Skidmark, one tip used by lots of others on here is to book one leg of the journey in business class (or Club Europe or whatever they are calling it this week). You get extra luggage for less than the cost of adding it to your economy fare, and you only need to add it one way to get the increased allowance for the whole trip.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not a bad tip that Hells Bells, thanks. I think business class on the return leg was only about an extra £40. We've got round the extras for advanced seat booking because one of the party is in their frequent flyer club or something and gets that as one of his perks. Not sure if that means we'll get some preferential treatment for other things like the boots, but it would be a bit off in general if they have started getting picky about ski baggage (and I don't know if they have at this stage) on what is quite a popular ski route at this time of year.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
and of course you can use the lounge on the leg that is business class. And you still get fed.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why not just take boots as hand luggage?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle wrote:
Why not just take boots as hand luggage?

This is what I always do.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If BA have started being strict on the 1 bag rule, then I will either take them in hand luggage or in main bag and shift some other stuff to hand luggage (much as this will grieve me and my packing OCD!), but I am just trying to gauge if that's going to be necessary - i.e if BA have gone full-on Ryanair/Easyjet in their short haul business model.

I've never yet been charged extra for a boot bag in numerous flights with BA, Swiss and various charters over the years but I guess there's always a first time.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Are you on a single booking where at least one member of the party has a BA exec status of Silver, Gold or above ?

If so the free checked luggage allowance of 2 items (2x23kgs) each applies to every person on the booking regardless on your individual BA status or non status.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy