Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Most fatalities in US skiing involve skiers wearing helmets" - scientific study

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I would be very concerned about loss of hearing on a busy piste - when avoiding collisions is probably the key part of staying safe.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
can i use my 'crossing the road' analogy yet..?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Defintely a case of each to his own. As long as helmets are not made compulsory, we can all decide for ourselves - which is a good thing! I don't wear a helmet when skiing or cycling. I ski nearly 100% on piste, don't go particularly fast, and if it gets icy or steep, become positively pedestrian Very Happy I only ride my bike on quiet lanes and round cycle tracks (also pretty slowly Very Happy ) .

When I had a motorbike, I always wore a helmet, and would have done so even if not oblidged to. I also would NEVER ride without gloves, boots and leathers (and not just because Mrs Ax liked me that way Very Happy ) you weighs up the benefits (safety?) vs the drawbacks (discomfort?) and you makes yer choice. The great shame is when 'nanny' governments legislate one way or another, removing that choice.

BTW I've nose planted loads of times, fallen off my bike a few times, and come off my motorbike once or twice. Never got hurt with or without a helmet, but been bl**dy glad I had gloves and leathers on when sliding down tarmac!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Acacia, I'm not sure how you deduce that Dr Shealy's research hasn't been peer-reviewed or published. The article suggests that the opposite may be true. The key data is quoted from the International Society for Skiing Safety. This may have evolved from the International Symposium on Skiing Safety (ISSS) which - unless things have changed - convenes the world's leading ski injury researchers every few years.

David,

Fair enough. My reaction may have been something of a knee-jerk reaction to the initial quotation from a newspaper report, in which case, my sincere apologies to Dr. Shealy.

- It is regrettably becoming more common for some members of the scientific community to use the popular press as a means of disseminating dodgy reaearch findings, hence what may have been a somewhat precipitate post on my part.

HOWEVER, and just for the record, whilst I have been able to find a few articles by Dr. Shealy in reputable medical journals cited in "Web of Science" or "Medline" up to 1999 (his last cited publication), these have all concerned leg injuries. Additionally, although these articles demonstrate that Dr. Shealy has made a useful contribution to the nature, causes and prevention of such injuries (principally ACL damage) I have found no published reports of helmet-related injuries in research journals. I should additionally point out that presentations in conferences, and results published in the proceedings of conferences and symposia are usually NOT peer-reviewed.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What did you search for? "Dr Shealy's helmet"? Tee hee.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DavidS,

Ho Ho.

Actually "Shealy JE"
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy