Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria police fine

Poster: A snowHead
So, came home to find a very official envelope from Austria to find we had been fined 400 euros . The letter was in German but after a google translate we have been accused of not stopping after an accident and not reporting the accident to the police. The incident apparantly took place in Innsbruck on the 20th of December. We were in Innsbruck on this day visiting the Christmas market but we certainly didnt have an accident or collision, so unsure what to do. Has anybody had a similar experience who could offer some advice?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like either mistaken identify or an outright scam. Were you in a UK plated car, if so makes an easy target, they just need to pay a small fee to get your details. If 1 in 10 pays out they make money.

Try contacting the Austrian Embassy, to see if they can confirm validity.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"Accident" in Austria could also include parking damage, e.g. scratching a car/leaving a paint mark.

I would definitely call the Innsbruck police and check if the case is legit first and what the details are if so. If you need help translating the letter, feel free to post the text with any identifying bits removed.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd want to see what evidence they have that suggests you were involved in an accident before paying some mystery fine.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all. I dont doubt its official, its definately from the police. We were in a hire car, drove into Innsbruck centre and parked in the underground car park for around 4 hours then left. No incidents at all. I translated the paperwork and it claims that we ' were in a traffic accident with material damage in casual connection and did not go to the police station'. This was a 200 euro fine. Also 'traffic accident in a casual connection and did not stop the vehicle immediately'. Another 200 euros. Looks like someone has gone to the trouble of going to the Police and reporting an incident, the Police have then followed it up. I have e mailed back requesting evidence, will keep you posted.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
summerseat wrote:
So, came home to find a very official envelope from Austria to find we had been fined 400 euros . The letter was in German but after a google translate we have been accused of not stopping after an accident and not reporting the accident to the police. The incident apparantly took place in Innsbruck on the 20th of December. We were in Innsbruck on this day visiting the Christmas market but we certainly didnt have an accident or collision, so unsure what to do. Has anybody had a similar experience who could offer some advice?

No evidence presented to you in the letter? Any info on how to appeal? They very efficiently demanded the money though didn't they? Typical EU style 'justice'.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gerry wrote:

No evidence presented to you in the letter? Any info on how to appeal? They very efficiently demanded the money though didn't they? Typical EU style 'justice'.
Have you contacted Farage for his opinion? Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Did you have the rental car the whole day or was it day of pickup or return? Time and location of incident would I think be minimum info they should provide. Be interesting if it was while you had it parked up wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just to be aware, I think things like this normally have something stating that if you wish to appeal you have to send written notice (a letter not an email) within 14 days.

I would either call these guys (number right at the bottom) https://www.innsbruck.gv.at/page.cfm?vpath=index&switchlocale=en_US or call the main police station (the one that says Kaiserjägerstrasse) http://www.polizei.gv.at/tirol/lpd/dst/dienststellen.aspx to try and find out what to do. Both should be able to help in English.

There is also a British Consulate just over the road from that police station, who may be able to help: https://www.innsbruck.info/en/facilities/details/infrastruktur/british-consulate-innsbruck-innsbruck.html
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dave of the Marmottes, police said the incident was at 17.10, we were parked up at around 16.00, left around 20.00. Not kept the ticket though, not the sort of thing you hang on to. Our vehicle was returned to the car hire company ( europcar) with not a mark on it. It was brand new , 36km on the clock when we picked it up. Signed off on return no problem.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@clarky999, thanks for that, good advice. Will ring tomorrow
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@summerseat How do you know it's from the police, just from the letter or have you spoken to them separately? If you called them, did you use a number from the letter or a number you looked up elsewhere?

Scams along these lines are very common and the paperwork can be very convincing. The letter may have a mix of real police phone numbers (to help convince you it is genuine) and/or a phone number controlled by the scammers (who will of course say they are the police if you phone up). It may of course be genuine, but you wouldn't be the first person I've spoken to that's totally convinced that a letter/call is genuine when it later turns out it was a scam.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@thelem, if it is a scam, it is a very elaborate scam, seeing as they were in a hire car how would the scammers know the personal details of the driver?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@terrygasson,Unfortunately quite easy and common these days for them to get inside information from disgruntled/underpaid/bribed/blackmailed employees.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Something doesn't make sense.

1. @summerseat, Received a fine at home address, stating car involved in accident, while actually stationary in a car park.
2. Europcar signed off on an undamaged car at end of rental period.
3. The only link between the person alleging damage, is the Austrian Police, who must have contacted Europcar for the renters contact details.
4. Why would Europcar give out details of the renter for when they signed off on an undamaged car.
5. Was the car involved in an accident in the following days, and Europcar just got the dates wrong, and issued the wrong renters details.

@summerseat, I would contact Europcar for details of the alleged incident relating to your rental.
latest report
I am pretty sure the International Police investigating, reporting follow up & issue of a fines does not happen that quick , it takes weeks unless someone had been injured or worse.

I think you should visit your local police in the UK for advice. They maybe able to check through europol if its genuine.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
I am pretty sure the International Police investigating, reporting follow up & issue of a fines does not happen that quick , it takes weeks unless someone had been injured or worse.

I think you should visit your local police in the UK for advice. They maybe able to check through europol if its genuine.

Actually a very good point. A year or two ago I got a fine for overtaking (a tractor at about 10 km/h FWIW) somewhere it turned out I wasn't allowed too, and it took around 6 weeks before I heard anything/received the fine - and that was all in Austria.
ski holidays
@stanton, +2.

All sounds very suspect.
ski holidays
This is not really an "international police investigation". Innsbruck police check the reported licence plate, see it's a hire car, ask Innsbruck hire company for details of renter at time of interest, including address. The hire company will happily give them the info - happens all the time. Letter is written. Not exactly taxing in four weeks.

I still reckon this is somebody claiming parking damage to their car. This would count as an "unreported" "accident" under local law.
snow report
@summerseat, indeed check with local police re the geniune nature of the documentation.

But...scenario.

Car A parks in car park. Car B comes in and hits it. Drives off, leaving empty space. You, car C, arrives and drives into space - park up and leave car. Driver of car A comes back and sees damage. Goes ballistic, assumes your car did it, takes your details and gives them to the police. Leaves the car park. You will have been unlikely to notice the damage to car A, and if they had left before you came back and moved your car, even less likely to be aware of it. Only if there is photographic evidence of mutual damage to both cars, or a witness statement, are you likely to need to worry.

Your refuge here would seem to be the fact of undamaged, new hire car, returned without any damage note, to the hire company.
latest report
Lol.

I have some magic beans. Wire me 500 bucks and I promise I will post them to you immediately.
ski holidays
@Whitegold, I have sent you the money. Now I want my magic beans please
ski holidays
@JohnHSmith,Careful now. They invented Hitler.
latest report
Will the hire company confirm that you returned your car with no damage? That would prove that your car didn't damage someone else's. Nightmare.

Just spotted this has already been suggested!!
snow report
@summerseat, how's this progressing?
ski holidays
More or less following on form @valais2, there may be CCTV in the car park...it may (if you are lucky) have had your car in its sights. The police should look at that at some point if it exists.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy