Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie alert!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Firstly apologies if I'm posting in the wrong forum, I couldn't see anywhere specifically for new guys to say hi.

My girlfriend and I are off to Alpe D'Huez on the 4th Feb, for the very first time ski-ing, and wondered if there was any simple recommended list of things we shouldn't forget.
We have salopettes, goggles, gloves, hats, suncream etc.... but there's always something the experts know, that wouldn't occur to a beginner.

We have had a lesson on a dry ski slope in Torquay, and did pretty well, (well, I was ok...ish, my girlfriend was annoyingly good)

Staying at the Vallee Blanche, and have booked all inclusive ski lessons (thru Thomsons.....please don't sneer, we all had to start somewhere!) so hope to really enjoy it.

As it's already booked, I know I shouldn't really ask, but whats the resort like for beginners?

Thanks for any help,

Eddie.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Eddie, welcome to snowHeads!

Alpe d'Huez is a nice sunny place, and hopefully you'll get great conditions. Nothing's guaranteed in early Feb, or at any other time. If you - fingers crossed that you don't - get very cold weather you may need additional layering and warmth to the extremities (particularly hands).

Skin protection is v. important. Make sure you have extra powerful lip protection and suncream. Take care to cream tip of nose and ears, ear lobes regularly. The powerful sun can burn the scalp through the hair, so it's best always to wear a cap or hat.

Rent the shortest skis the rental shop recommends - when you start it's easiest to use really short ones.

Have a great time!

By the way, I think that plastic slope you took a lesson on was the first ever established in Britain in the early 1960s.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Eddie_fb, welcome to snowHeads!
If you wish you can PM me with you re-mail address and I can e-mail a Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet list of kit - but this isn't just a list. When you have packed something, you change the '0' next to it to a '1', select the '1's' from the drop down menu and it only shows the kit you still have to pack.
Used it to pack for my trip to Les Deux Alps for the pre-season bash and didn't forget anything!
Have fun here it's an ace place, and have loadsa fun on holiday!
Jules snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Eddie_fb, welcome to snowHeads.Looks like you have the basics sorted.Beware of taking too much non ski clothing,make sure you have base layer,fleeces etc instead.Take good quality ski socks(not tubes)and make sure you get a good boot fit(change if not happy)Use a small backpack for hand luggage;then use it for drinks & snacks up the mountain.Take it easy for the first day(or two)and drink plenty of water(essential)or you will weaken.And,if you fall over,laugh Laughing

The only other thing you need is commitment.Take that up the mountain and all will be fine.Have fun.Let us know how you did when you get back?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Eddie_fb, welcome to snowheads

There was a very funny thread on what to take a little while ago - here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=11830&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

The thread title and first post was changed after a few days when Paul Mason, that started it, realised the grief that he was getting himself into. I think the original title was "anyone else use a list" and he was asking for help in compiling one (I think).

I hope that you have a great time.
snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Welcome!

There are a couple of glaring thing smissing but I opresume that is because they are "no brainers"!! You haven't included a decent jacket in your list and the other thing to consider is......socks. You want to wear one pair only (this is one thing not to wear in layers!). Most commonly people wear the tube tyope with no heal etc. Whatever you ear, make sure they have no seams that can dig in.

You might also want to consider sun glasses if its really sunny. If you have a decent pair of wrap arounds, such as Oakley's, take them.

Finally, also think of non ski gear. Decent footwear that allows you to walk on ice and snow is a must and don't forget, it can get very cold at night so wrap up warm.

The final tip is about boots. They should not hurt! If they do, go back and ask for another pair.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Eddie_fb, Welcome to snowHead . I started last year and the only thing that I would suggest doing is that you look at threads on here on what makes a good-fitting ski boot. You must make sure that they are comfortable (and well fitting) for both of you when you hire them.
Whatever the GF has decided to pack for Apres-Ski ... remove 3/4 of it and leave at home.
Get up half-an-hour earlier than you planned to on Day 1 --- you'll need at least that much longer than you think to get to your first lesson
ALL of your salopettes go outside the ski boots
Only The Brits think skiing and fashion are directly related

.... Enjoy and get Hooked !
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SEddie_fb, Non absorbent thermal underwear. Its not cold at the moment but it may be when you get there. I hardly ever wear mine, but when its really cold they are simply the best.

Eddie_fb, Now that you have this advice there is a legal obligation (hidden deep in the T&Cs) that you tell us how you got on with your first skiing holiday. Very Happy Have a great one.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Eddie_fb, Hi and welcome to snowHeads. Plenty of good advice above, I would just add that when wearing your boots, get the shop to show you how to do them up, and how tight, and dont tuck anything (like trousers or thermals ) into them. The only thing inside your boots should be your feet and 1 pair of decent socks, anything else will raise blisters.

If your feet start to hurt (and feel cold) after a while don't be afraid to loosen the clips off a little, having them too tight doesn't help your skiing unless you are really pushing things hard (some instructors will even get you to ski with them 'undone' to prove this).

Have fun and learn to enjoy the nose plant! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Eddie_fb Welcome to Snowheads.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Eddie_fb, some boring but necessary things ..........
The new European Health Card (online or via the Post Office but you'll have to move fast to get one in time), decent insurance (probably included with the Thomsons package unless you opted out), and buy the 'get you off the mountain hassle-free' card in the resort at a lift pass office. It'll only cost a Euro or so per day. It's called Carre Niege (and confusingly the season ticket version of the same thing is Carte Niege).
Have a good one.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Eddie_fb, Welcome!
Seems that most things have been covered already, Alpe D'Huez has some nice easy greens to start on, you should find it easier than the artificial slope!
I think that the Vallee Blanche is down in the main town, just make sure that you get to the chairlift near the ski lessons meeting point in good time at the end of the day as they shut it pretty promptly, we had some friends who missed it a couple of times & had to walk back!
If you have some spare time the sports centre in town has very good facilites & a nice pool, don't forget that men can only swim wearing speedo trunks!
Have fun. Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Eddie_fb, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

As provenjohn has already said, I think Alpey D is great for beginners and has some good green runs coming down off a couple of drag lifts in the beginner's area. Beware of the green that comes down from the top of the little hill, is it Signal?? Can't remember. It has some steepish bits and an adverse camber - used to see beginners stuck on it all the time. But if you're in ski school they'll be showing where is suitable to ski.

I assume your instruction is through ESF? If that doesn't work out for whatever reason and you want to book somewhere else, I'd highly recommend Masterclass, an English ski school. Excellent tuition in small classes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No-one has mentioned helmets. Although you probably won't be ripping up the pistes in your first week (although you might be), you could still have a heavy fall and you should decide positively whether or not you want to wear one. There is at least one thread on here about the pros and cons. A good number of snowHeads wear a helmet, others are less enthusiastic.

Some people find skis awkward to carry at first. There are all sorts of gadgets about, but the cheapest and simplest is a velcro strip which wraps around them to hold them together; it can be a great help. Available at all ski shops. You didn't list sunglasses; can be be more comfortable than goggs (in good weather). Needless to say, you should have special snow sunglasses, which are of course more expensive than ordinary sunglasses.

I hope that you have a great time. Beginners' lessons are brilliant entertainment, a laugh a minute. I see that you've been practising on a dry slope; another useful preparation is to stand in a walk in deep freeze burning tenners to keep warm.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Linked to richmond's comment above, here are some other useful tips

- Visit your local butcher and pay $30 to sit in the walk-in freezer for half an hour. Afterwards, burn two $50 dollar bills to warm up.

- Soak your gloves and store them in the freezer after every use.

- Fasten a small, wide rubber band around the top half of your head before you go to bed each night.

- If you wear glasses, begin wearing them with glue smeared on the lenses.

- Throw away a hundred dollar bill - RIGHT NOW!

- Find the nearest ice rink and walk across the ice 20 times in your ski boots carrying two pairs of skis, accessory bag and poles. Pretend you are looking for your car. Sporadically
drop things.

- Place a small but angular pebble in your shoes, line them with crushed ice, and then tighten a C-clamp around your toes.

- Buy a new pair of gloves and IMMEDIATELY THROW ONE AWAY!

- Secure one of your ankles to a bedpost and ask a friend to run into you at high speed.

- Go to McDonald's and insist on paying $8.50 for a hamburger. Be sure you are in the longest line.

- Clip a lift ticket to the zipper of your jacket, get on a motorcycle and ride fast enough to make the ticket lacerate your face.

- Drive slowly for five hours - anywhere - as long as it's in a snowstorm and you're following an 18-wheeler.

- Fill a blender with ice, hit the pulse button and let the spray blast your face. Leave the ice on your face until it melts. Let it drip onto your clothes.

- Slam your thumb in a car door and don't bother to go see a doctor.

* Repeat all of the above every Saturday and Sunday until you're ready for the real thing!
latest report
Ray Zorro, That is just brilliant! Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Ray Zorro,

That'll do it...they'll be hooked now..... Laughing
ski holidays
Eddie

Hope you both have a great time. Second the recommendations for sunglasses - get a good pair rated to at least level 3 ( level 4 if poss) its the EU ranking for sunglasses . I have suffered from glare in sunny places like ADH wearing level 3 specs. Also "standard" factor 30 cream may not be enough! Don't hesitate to get factor 60 if you are burning on your first day. High altitude sunburn is the worst!
Enjoy your lessons ( and the whole trip) - don't get hung up on doing everything perfectly , but if you don't understand, do question the instructor to repeat or explain things until you do "get it". Do laugh when you fall over - it is usually funny!
Have lunch a few times in mountain restaurants - they may seem expensive , but a bowl of soup or something more filling will keep you going in the afternoon and hot chocolate on a sunny terrace is part of the ski holiday experience.

I hope it is the first of many for you.
ski holidays
take a camera to capture the views. You can look longingly at the pictures till the next time. Take some cash so that you can still eat if the restaurant doesnt like your card.
snow conditions
Eddie_fb, just two things, you'll forget most of what you hear by the time you arrive anyway.

1. You're the paying customer so if you think you're not learning fast enough/the instructor's too slow in teaching/his English isn't up to scratch/there's any problem at all then see the ski school about it. There's no reason why skiers should not learn pretty quickly and a paying customer should always get satisfaction.

2. Don't worry about falling over and people laughing - it'll happen, just accept it laugh as well.
ski holidays
More for the girls really. It may sound silly but when you're out on the slopes keep a small supply of loo paper (or packet of tissues) on you. Nothing worse than when you're too busting to check & find that empty cardboard roll next to you. Quite handy when you're out in the evenings too
snow report
Eeyore, wet wipes are better, the lotion ones leave a lovely sensation .... too much information? Embarassed
snow conditions
Prepare to redefine what you think of as "steep" and "expensive".
ski holidays
Prepare to redefine what you think of as "sad" and "obsessive" Very Happy
ski holidays
My first trip was only 5 years ago. I stayed in a rabbit-hutch in Courcheval built for the smaller rodent and paid a fortune for it. The woman who ran the apartments was rude and unfriendly. Visibility was close to zero every day and the video I got from ski school just showed amorphous blobs looming out of the white haze. I took my baby son who didn't sleep all week which meant I got about 3 hours sleep a night. One of the people I was with had a relative taken ill and had to fly home midweek. My salopettes got lost somehow and I had to borrow ladies ones that I couldn't do up.

But it was far and away, and without question, the best holiday I've ever had. Skiing's like that. Enjoy!
latest report
Another one for the girls, nothing to do with actual skiing. The females in my family always makes sure we pack a small extension lead as the plug for the hairdrier is never anywhere near the mirror in your room.
ski holidays
michael stocking wrote:
My first trip was only 5 years ago. I stayed in a rabbit-hutch in Courcheval built for the smaller rodent and paid a fortune for it. The woman who ran the apartments was rude and unfriendly. Visibility was close to zero every day and the video I got from ski school just showed amorphous blobs looming out of the white haze. I took my baby son who didn't sleep all week which meant I got about 3 hours sleep a night. One of the people I was with had a relative taken ill and had to fly home midweek. My salopettes got lost somehow and I had to borrow ladies ones that I couldn't do up.

But it was far and away, and without question, the best holiday I've ever had. Skiing's like that. Enjoy!

No disrespect but all I learnt from that is that you are a masochistic, short-sighted cross-dresser ( better change the User-Name) with a rabid hatred of 'family'. wink wink wink snowHead Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:
SimonN other thing to consider is......socks. You want to wear one pair only (this is one thing not to wear in layers!).

One pair per day or the whole week??? Shocked[/quote][/b]
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eEvans wrote:
No disrespect but all I learnt from that is that you are a masochistic, short-sighted cross-dresser ( better change the User-Name) with a rabid hatred of 'family'. wink wink wink snowHead Laughing

So about par for the course on snowHeads then?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy