Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2nd hand ski boots - dare I ask?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was on eBay to sell old ski gear and saw that there is a vast amount of second hand ski boots for sale.

It got me thinking regarding the kids. We have our own boots but the kids (15 and 13) do not. This year the hire in Italy is about £30 each pair for the week. The kids seem to be fine with hire boots so it got me thinking about the possibility of buying a second hand pair each instead.

Problem is not being able to return if wrong size and if the boots have been molded to the recipients feet/fit etc. No mention on search threads of any previous discussions about this.

What are your thoughts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mini_mo,
I'm happy buying second-hand boots for our kids. Fit is not so crucial for kids - they are growing all the time and their lower weight and shorter levers mean precision hold just doesn't matter as much.
That said, the growing point means I think it is only worthwhile if
a) they ski quite a lot
b) and/or they have similar shaped feet so you can pass them down
Otherwise the economics become less appealing and you have the hassle of luggage / buying / reselling for not much upside.
My kids do three trips a year and we can leave the boots at our place so it is a no brainer. I've bought some boots second hand and others as old stock / prior seasons models at deep discounts. My son is now in a pair of his Mum's cast offs but he may just have grown out of them. His next pair his younger sister may never grow into so its getting more complex.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mini_mo, no idea if they still do, but probably worth a call. Ski Bartlett used to cater for the parents of growing kids with a pretty huge range of secondhand boots for cheap. Ideal because you could go in and try them on, and I'm sure much of their stock came from parents exchanging the old boots for larger ones as their kids grew. I've not seen the shelves of boots in the shop recently, but if you call them I'm sure they'd advise if they have anything suitable.

Personally I'd just keep sticking the kids in rentals. £30 for a week is nothing really. You could spend an awful long time buying boots that don't fit and reselling them before you find a good fit.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I get my 9 year old the Roces, they adjust from a 3.5 - 6.5 UK size so should do him a few year.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
How dare you!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i used to buy second hand for my kids and never spent more than £25. most of them i resold a year later and got most of the cash back.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yup. Bought very cheap second hand boots for kids. If they fit and were ok then great, if not sell them on as they dont owe u much.

Really bought them for convenience with any saving on rental being a bonus. We would do a lot of weekend trips and days at a fridge so the less time spent sorting out rental boots each time the more time on the slopes.

If the fit seemed there or thereabouts then never had complaints about rubbing, flex/stiffness etc , Kids (and their feet) seem more forgiving unlike from some older skiers muself included wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy