Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Servicing / stone grind

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
I have put my skis in for servicing after our christmas trip as they had taken quite a beating (stones) in the thin snow conditions.
it seems the shop got a bit confused and have serviced without doing a stone grind (a specific request). (also de-tuned the edges)

they have told me that they can add the structure (stone grind) without touching the edges. Is this correct?
their own service schedule description lists ... stone, edge, wax as the sequence. - which is my understanding of the norm
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm no expert but I imagine that they can stone grind and then tune the base edge (not the side). Can't see any reason for detuning edges these days though as skis are designed to grip from the tip, it just lessens the hold on icy pistes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Scarpa,

my new redeemers (new but 2014 model) carry the advice to detune the tips - first time I've seen that. I wondered if it was usual on skis with pronounced tip rise but you'll know more about that than me.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Weird, never seen that before.

I've just done a bit of reseach into it and some people have had problems when laying a rockered ski over in hardpack when the tip has suddenly caught and hooked up. Skis with more of a tip taper are apparently not as prone to this as those with a wider tip. I guess it depends on the person, myself I keep my fat skis sharp along their entire length, when I want them to carve I want the tips to grip. Although on the Bent Chetlers there is a massive amount of rocker so they seem to engage very predictably. Buttering or doing park stunts may also favour a blunter ski and you are smearing across the snow a lot.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 18-01-17 17:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you find skis hooking up unexpectedly then a slight detune will help you. Same when you are just learning to carve, it gives a little leeway. Myself I like a 3 degree sharp edge, but the tips and tails are always a little more difficult to hand sharpen so I guess they may have a natural detune to them due to the flex when running the file guide to the ends.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It is also my understanding that a detune isn't the thing on a carving ski, so wasn't expecting it. if I did find them hooking up I was going to tweak them myself...
to be fair they did say they only detuned the part beyond the rocker ... but as these are piste skis they are cambered there is no real length of 'rocker' only the scoop up at the end

my main concern was that if they're having another go at the bases am I going to loose more material off the edges than if it have been done first time through ... so shortening life. or is this insignificant?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If they don't sharpen the side edges it should be insignificant IMHO. I have an old pair of skis that has had two base grinds and there is still plenty of edge left, I've probably sharpened them +20 times over 8 years as well.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Grinding the base may well affect the base edge angle, though really depends if we are talking about very light grind that you'd never notice or a more serious grind that will leave you with eventually a zero degree base edge angle.

Having skied mine without detuned edge at the tips they were, frankly, a pain in the backside. Kept catching at the front end when my legs got tired. I'm sure it is desirable on a race ski for high end competitors, but for normal skiers I can't see that the last inch of edge at the front end is going to really affect me at all. It was fixed, in the field, with the careful (read aggressive bad tempered) use of a screwdriver at a lift station to take the sharpness off the tips and all was ok again without affecting my ability to get the edges in on icier stuff.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This shows what I mean

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why not just get them to base grind and tune both edges? it takes no time.

I can't understand what their problem is. In the time it takes to argue the toss they could have had it done and sorted and kept a customer happy.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy