Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3 Valleys Ski Pass - Is it worth it?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Val Thorens early March of this year and we are undecided over whether to commit to a 3V's ski pass or just stick to VT.

Is there sufficient skiing in VT to keep occupied for a week or should we just buy a 3V's extension on the day's the group is feeling more adventurous?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Area passes are priced so there is little difference between them and the local area. Vt is big and varied, so it depends on whether you like mile munching and exploring, and ski all day, or part of it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Both. What level skiers are you and how much ground do you like to cover?
Theres enough in VT to keep you occupied for a week but you will be repeating runs and routes(though not much). The size and scope of the full 3v would be a shame a shame to miss and once you've been "over the mountain" on one day, I'm sure you'd want to do it again. In that case I'd take the 3valley pass.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Depends how good/adventurous a skier you are. The week upgrade is only a little more than a one day upgrade so it's pretty easy to justify the cost. Conditions will be great across the 3V's at that time so there's plenty to see.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IIRC you have to 'go over' for three days to make the extra cost for a 6 day pass worth it. So if you're not going to do that then you can just upgrade on a daily basis.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No you don't- if you only go over twice it's cheaper to buy a 3v pass :

VT/Orelle only pass is 238.
3V 1 day extension is 33per day.
A VT + Vallee de Bellevilles is 281.
A full 3V pass 294.

A VT + a 1 day extension is 271
A VT + 2 x 1 day extension is 304 which is more than the full 3v pass.

n.b. Some lessons will require you have 3v pass. Our kids lessons in Courchevel now do and they were out of valley on at least 3 days.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And you can save a little on the 297e by buying the 3v 'Tribu' family pass; or save a little less with 'Duo' passes.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@MiserableYoungMan, plenty in VT/Orelle to keep you entertained but you'll be repeating runs. If you ski full days and like putting in the miles then I'd recommend the 3V pass. But if you're more of a '10am start, 11am coffee break, 12:30 lunch etc' type group then it may not be worth it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you ski all day then YES full 3 V pass.

If you start at 10 and finish at 2.30 then probably no.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
And dont forget the duo and trio passes come up cheaper than buying a single
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you are not very good with signs its worth buying the 3 valley pass, ending up in Mottaret is fine if your pass works.

Seriously, get the 3 valley pass, the cost is minimal within the trip, as long you are not all beginners.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gazzza wrote:
No you don't- if you only go over twice it's cheaper to buy a 3v pass :

VT/Orelle only pass is 238.
3V 1 day extension is 33per day.
A VT + Vallee de Bellevilles is 281.
A full 3V pass 294.

A VT + a 1 day extension is 271
A VT + 2 x 1 day extension is 304 which is more than the full 3v pass.

n.b. Some lessons will require you have 3v pass. Our kids lessons in Courchevel now do and they were out of valley on at least 3 days.

That's good news. I used to be a regular to Courchevel but haven't been for a few a few years & then you need three days over to make it worthwhile.

At those prices a full pass would definitely be worth having although TQA's comment is a good one.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Gazzza, it depends on how long you are there. Agree your analysis for 6 days. But for 8 days it is cheaper to just buy the VT/Orelle pass + 2 extensions if only going outside that area for 2 days. For 7 days it is roughly break even.

Having said that, even if planning to go outside VT on only one or two days I would still probably go for the 3V pass, both to avoid having to go to the lift pass office to buy extensions, and to give flexibility to change your mind during the day or an accidental wrong turn!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interestingly @spyderjon a Courchevel-only pass is more than a VT/Orelle pass at EUR 250 for 6 days (standard adult, ignoring the Famille, Duo or Tribu discounts for now), so staying the Courch end makes even more sense to pay the extra and get 3v.

But agree with all the comments and unless I was skiing part time or a complete beginner always get a 3v.
Having said this I have once in the past on a 6 day trip bought a 3v pass and only used it once, having spent the first few days in the Courchevel valley, the next day 3v touring, then had the links shut the remaining 3 days due to weather thereafter. C'est la vie!

Our new year Courch trip was 7 days and still made sense to get 3v. Though I'm intrigued to go and look and the price differential at higher number of days. Though I guess on a longer 8 day trip you're likelihood to want to go out of the valley and explore further afield is that much higher.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
March go 3V, April the best snow is in VT & Orelle so you only need a 3V pass for non skiing reasons like wanting to see other places or going to a specific place for lunch.
snow conditions
As well as the Duo/Tribu discounts, make sure you check any other offers you might be eligible for (family passes, age discounts etc), as these can affect the one valley / 3V comparison.

For anyone arriving in Les Menuires/St Martin early Saturday am (or leaving Saturday night) the 50% off Saturday-only LM/SM-only offer looks good value from a pure cost perspective.
snow report
Even for a fairly unadventurous beginner I'd recommend the full pass. Having to arrange day extensions just kills the spontaneity.
ski holidays
Whatever you decide to do, make sure your whole group get the same pass (particularly if there's enough of you going to split into two or three groups). You don't want to find yourself at the top of the run into Meribel with a group that wants to go there except one person who has a VT-only pass, or worse find yourself at the bottom of the run into Meribel because you were following the group leader and they didn't realise you only had a VT pass.
snow conditions
@thelem, ^^ excellent point.
latest report
I'd say it's worth it... VT is high above the treeline, but the other two valleys get down lower and down in trees you get a very different feel. The extra money buys you access to a type of area you can't get in VT alone:)
latest report
Im off to VT early march, decided to go for the full 3 Valley pass just in case we fancy a visit to somewhere else or venture out, Its my first ski trip and my GF is quite competent, for the extra id say why not. I`m fully aware I wont get the full use of my pass but even if its one great day out.....well worth it IMHO. @MiserableYoungMan, What dates are you going?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy