Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help with choosing French resort

Poster: A snowHead
I'm intending to drive to French Alps first week of March after French schools, using SC apartment, preferably ski in/ski out. Have driven many times but mostly to Flaine, once to ADH and once to LDA. Four adults, two very competent, one happiest on blues, one second week needing lessons. I've always wanted to ski one of the "big" circuits e.g. Three valleys, Les Arcs, Killy but not sure if this would work for the two less experienced skiers. Despite reading thousands of posts on here over the last seven years, until you've been to a place you can't really know what it's like. We need to have easy access from the apartment to a good range of blues/ greens where we can easily meet up from time to time. Also, able to unload car outside appt but maybe have to park elsewhere.

I know it's subjective but I'd really appreciate any recommendations from people who've been to a range of resorts and if anyone has / knows of an available apartment (for four well behaved adults, at least one bedroom) w/c 4th March please pm me. I'd prefer a shorter driving time where there's a choice of equally valid resorts.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@billb,
Can't help with individual apartments, in all honesty most of the big French areas have some pretty gentle skiing for near beginners, though for some the runs back to resort can be a bit more intimidating.
Courchevel 1650 has excellent ones close to resort level.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Avoriaz ticks your boxes and is propably the shortest drive. Lots of SC accommodation and PDS is an intermediate paradise. Pierre et Vacance https://beta.pierreetvacances.com/gb-en?mrasn=164234.227172 is the big commercial renter but some are in private hands and can be cheaper. Be aware that it is a traffic fre resort and getting your luggage from the drop off point to the accomodation can be a drag. Inquire about the in resort delivery sleds.

Les Arcs would suit as well, again lots of SC accommodation.

I have skied both as an intermediate and enjoyed both.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@billb, I have skied in a lot of French resorts (and am familiar with the Grand Massif where you usually go) and would say that if you are wanting one of the larger ski areas Les Arcs is a good bet. It is an excellent resort for mixed ability groups.

We recently stayed at Chalet des Neiges La Cime des Arcs in Arc 2000 which is ski to and from the door and would highly recommend it (now prefer it as a base to Arc 1800 or Arc 1950 where we had stayed before). There is a garage underneath La Cime des Arcs- it is payable but worth the cost. The ski room has heated bootwarmers and is very good. The reception staff were also very friendly indeed.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@TQA, I've considered Avoriaz but we've a lot of luggage, including skis, so the transfer does sound too much of a faff after a longish car journey although PDS sounds good and is the next nearest big resort after GM. But I'll look at Les Arcs as you and @snowymum recommend it and maybe Courchevel in 3V as @T Bar recommends. Thanks everyone.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It depends on your budget. We stay in the Amara apartments in Avoriaz, which is at the entrance to the resort and has its own underground parking (separate charge). It's pricey, but we really like it and I don't think you can get much more convenient (we've got kids, so convenience is high on our priority list).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
billb wrote:
@TQA, I've considered Avoriaz but we've a lot of luggage, including skis, so the transfer does sound too much of a faff after a longish car journey although PDS sounds good and is the next nearest big resort after GM. But I'll look at Les Arcs as you and @snowymum recommend it and maybe Courchevel in 3V as @T Bar recommends. Thanks everyone.

Transfer from drop off to the hotel really isn't that much bother unless it's mega busy. Took us maybe 30 minutes from driving into the resort to getting into the hotel and it was fairly busy, Easter, Saturday and 4pm. Time I parked up the car, the other half had booked us a sleigh. We had a boot rammed packed with cases, laptops, food boxes etc
We stayed in the atria crozats booked via Sunweb who gave us a voucher for a sleigh ride and lift passes are all included in the price.
Booked for Easter this year as well.
As it's ski in / ski out it was great to meet up at the hotel for lunch etc
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I regularly ski in Courchevel 1650 and it is good for beginners and intermediates. Loads of blues and some not too difficult reds. You can also ski blues over to 1850 (or get the bus). There is some ski in/out accommodation there but if you don't manage to find any there are escalators that take you from lower down accommodation to the snow front.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
billb wrote:

I needed to explain the luggage transfer better in my post. You arrive either at the car park or at the top of the Prodains cable car if you choose to leave the car in Morzine and come up by the cable car. On arrival there are small sleds you can pull yourself or there are horse drawn sleds which act as resort taxis. In your case you want a horse drawn sled which will deliver you luggage and skis right to the door of your accommodation.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the information. Whilst not completely dismissing Avoriaz we've decided on Belle Plagne in Paradiski - have booked apartment. Initially looked at Arc1800 but couldn't find accomodation that suited us. Have got discounted lift passes including 65+ for me (soon to be......) with full Paradiski pass giving two of us extra half day so need to get there early on the Saturday snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@billb, La Plagne is an excellent choice, in my view. Just be aware that, in my experience anyway, the piste gradings are not all that helpful. I know that snow conditions are more significant than steepness, but La Plagne blues can be anything from largely flat to really quite steep in places. If you have people who are nervous of steeper bits - and most groups do have - then check local knowledge.

snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Belle Plagne is an excellent choice. I worked a season there 11 years ago and it is perfect for what you need. I have also skied many of the other big French resorts (Espace Killy, Three Valleys, PDS) and I would say you couldn't have chosen better. Have a great time.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
billb wrote:
Thanks for all the information. Whilst not completely dismissing Avoriaz we've decided on Belle Plagne in Paradiski - have booked apartment. Initially looked at Arc1800 but couldn't find accomodation that suited us. Have got discounted lift passes including 65+ for me (soon to be......) with full Paradiski pass giving two of us extra half day so need to get there early on the Saturday snowHead

Great spot for skiing, fab off piste as well, have a great time.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Les Arcs 1800.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the reassurance @Chris Bish, @FastCarver74 and@T Bar. I'll post some feedback after the trip. @Whitegold we intend to ski over to Arc1800 while we're there via the vanoise express.
ski holidays
porkpiefox wrote:
It depends on your budget. We stay in the Amara apartments in Avoriaz, which is at the entrance to the resort and has its own underground parking (separate charge). It's pricey, but we really like it and I don't think you can get much more convenient (we've got kids, so convenience is high on our priority list).

I am looking at this resort at the moment. Is the parking sensible, bot in location and cost? I am torn between driving and transfers. Secondly is it near the lifts, the maps are not absolutely clear, and I have not bee there so have no sense of how straight forward it is, will have children in tow, so easy is best.
snow conditions
@blahblahblah, it's 91€ for the week, but it's a price I'm happy to pay. It's directly underneath the Amara Apartments, so access is via a lift.
With regards to the lifts, you're never far away in Avoriaz. The main beginner area is directly behind there, or you can ski straight out the door down a simple blue or green to get the chair towards Lindarets.
I've skied in loads of places, but given that some of our party drive, which means we prefer somewhere in that area and that we have kids with us, so convenience is key, I really like it. I wouldn't knock people preferring other resorts, but this works perfectly for us.
ski holidays
I should point out that when I'm talking about location, im referring specifically to the Amara Apartments, which are at the entrance to the resort.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy