Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chambery Car Hire

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Normally use Geneva but have had a good option for flights to Chambery in March. Have flown into there before but only with a TO. I know through hiring at Geneva winter tyres are included but any gotchas at Chambery to be aware off? Travelling up to Arc 2000 so always need to be conscious of potential need for chains and winter tyres etc even late season.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Definitely need to check T&Cs for Chambery car hire for winter tyres, snow chains, ski rack if needed. Usually extra cost and often expensive in my experience.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You might well not be able to get winter tyres but if you have chains that fit and are prepared to put them on at the FIRST sign of loss of traction, no problem. I'm a believer in winter tyres but they are not necessary for salvation. Plenty of French drivers manage fine without - by chaining up early.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@thefatcontroller, Maybe cheaper to buy chains at a supermarche IF you need them. (From experience the further away from the mountain the cheaper and greater choice of chain size) If you don't need chains - money saved, even if the weather forecast changes whilst you are there, you can pop down to Super U and buy some snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@boredsurfin, Cheers, will book car this week, deal going with Hertz and then worry about chains nearer the date.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Be careful what you wish for. Hertz quoted 30 euro extra per day for winter tyres and 45 euro for snow chains for the week.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ok here is a gamble in the hire options...

Do you hire a car with no winter tyres and rent snow chains or for same cost rent a 4 x 4 with no guarantee of winter tyres....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@thefatcontroller, how much are you planning to drive around mountain roads after first arriving in Les Arcs? Or will you only decide that once you're there?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@intermediate, As little as possible as work on strategy of being over the limit at all times, however our apartment is up in Arc 2000 so we have to be conscious of potential for grim driving even if just on arriving and leaving
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@thefatcontroller, in that case, I'd wait until a few days before departure before booking. Reasonable idea of likely weather and road conditions by then.

If you don't like late booking, or if early booking deals very good, I'd go for standard front wheel drive, manual transmission. 4x4s usually expensive unless you've found a really good deal.
Snow chains could be bought from hypermarket (Albertville area) if needed on way there. Or from somewhere like Super U in Bourg St M if essential for journey down mountain.

I'd only pay for winter tyres up front if planning to drive from Les Arcs to other nearby areas, eg Tignes, La Rosiere.
I've had a car several times in Les Arcs, between Dec and March, never had a problem getting up and down to Bourg, even after snow. Not had to fit snow chains. Maybe I've just been lucky.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@intermediate, Thanks, think I am too organised a person to leave things to the last minute Embarassed Embarassed Will probably just book car and worry about chains nearer date.... Cool
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy