Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dvla driver record

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Haven't driven to France for a while but am doing so next trip. Is it essential to carry a dvla driver record (which is new since we last drove) - sorry if asked before but I couldn't see it from searching. If we do need one, I hope they are available quickly! Thanks for any advice.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You shouldn't need a special code to drive in France. Just take your driving licence as normal. If you want to hire a car or need proof of what endorsements you have (penalty points) or need to prove that your licence carries an entitlement to drive a particular class of vehicle, then you can check this on the DVLA website and you can get a "code" to share this.

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

It's free to get a "code" that gives your licence details. You might want to check that you can use the system (needs your driver number and national insurance number). Doesn't work for my son for some reason. He had to phone to get the code.

The code only works once so don't be tempted to try it, as you will then need to get another code

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 15-01-17 10:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've hired cars a few times since that came into being. First time I think I printed off my record and. Took a code, but have never been asked to show it.

Foreign car hire staff either aren't aware of it or aren't bothered. If you have photo card licence that's all they want to see.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I needed it for a hire car in the UK, but not for Italy.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The record from the code is only needed if you are renting a car in the uk on a uk license.

So dont need it if renting overseas on a uk license or renting in the uk on an overseas license.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the info - yes, we've hired several times from Geneva and never been asked for this but we are driving from U.K this time in our own car so wasn't sure how necessary it is to have.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not needed in your case when driving your own car.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is an option to save the licence summary as a pdf file, which contains the endorsements (offences and points) and current driving status. (current full licence for example) It only gives the last 8 numbers (or letters) of your driving licence number.

So you could send this by email. However, printing it may be helpful.

Seems kind of complicated, but in case their systems are not working (the government system was down when I first tried to access a code this year for two days).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JohnHSmith wrote:
)Doesn't work for my son for some reason. He had to phone to get the code.

Doesn't, currently, work for me either. I was told the most common reason is a difference in the spelling of a name on either the DVLA or NI/HMRC records - in may case, while HMRC have my real name, whoever at DVLA transcribed my original driving licence application clearly didn't like Irish names with apostrophes - I now need to get DVLA to correct their records so that this code thing works. I hadn't bothered before because, while irritating, it hadn't caused any problems.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had to ring to get mine when the website wouldnt work for me. I expwct I would need to do this evertime I want a code. How convenient and another costly call centre the govt needs to operate. Think its just another balls up when trying to get a huge list on a database. Would be interesting to know how many people are having to phone.

Interestingly you dont need this when renting peer to peer. Just seems to be a requirement the rental car companies have come up with. They seem to want to make it hard to rent, more fool them.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Budget Munich weren't interested in Saturday when I offered them the printed sheet with the code. Neither were Avis in Palma in October.
Think of that what you will!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've probably had about 15 rental cars across France, Switzerland and the USA since these rules came in. I've never been asked for the code or printout, which is a good thing as I don't bother to carry it...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Apparently the 'database' won't match unless its a 100% match and it seems there are many errors, my wouldn't work because my date of birth was entered with o1 instead of 01 some quality data input there!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@daveqpr, @snowdave, You only need the code/printout if you have a UK driving licence and you are hiring in the UK.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy